My trusty 2h

Submitted: Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 18:50
ThreadID: 8285 Views:1242 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings,

I would like to settle my curiosity over a noise which emanates from the old 2h motor in my 40 series. This original 180,000 km motor seems to be perfect in the way it runs and being an old school oiler I understand that it's not the smoothest of motors. Anyway, when the revs climb to about 2300 and above it emanates a loudish (chit,chit) sound that goes in time with the sound of combustion. I am supposing this is normal but am curious if any other owners, present or past of the old 2h have encountered this same sound. If so could anyone shed some light?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:49

Monday, Nov 03, 2003 at 22:49
Jim,
A shot in the dark here not having heard the noise, is it when the engine is under load or when you are reving it on the drive way? If it's under load it could be either of the manifold gaskets leaking either sucking or blowing. My first checks would be along the lines of a compression check to make sure all the cylinders are equal. I find thinks like this very difficult to diagnose without hearing the noise and knowing a little it more about the engine, sorry Jim I can't be more help. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 36123

Follow Up By: Jim - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:06

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:06
Hi Martyn.

The sound is present at all times when the engine speed rises above 2100 rpm whether it's in the driveway or on the road. I don't think it could be the exhaust manifold because the whole exhaust system was replaced not long ago with headers and three inch pipe. Maybe the headers have something to do with it. I'll check the tension of the inlet manifold nuts and see if this makes any difference. The engine has only done 182,000 kms and starts quickly when cold so I think that the compression should be O.K.

Thanks for the response.

With regards, Jim.
FollowupID: 26074

Sponsored Links