Interested in body protection

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 21:37
ThreadID: 8315 Views:1806 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I was interested in body protection (for the car lol) that was mentioned in Overlander November 2003 (in passing) on page 60....."Land Rover Australia put him onto a product that protects the duco from harsh bush scratches. It's like a heavy duty contact film that can be removed once the vehicle returns home." Then there is a picture of the rangie on page 64 with stuff down the side with a hell of a lot of bubbles - looking like my English books when I got to them with the contact adhesive.

Sounds like an interesting product but probably hellishly expensive. I would be interested to know what it is like because I reckon I would enjoy my trip more if I knew that I had some protection while I listen to the sounds of bushes scraping down the side of my duco.

Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 22:25

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 22:25
Andrew

I'm with you. Saw the product a short while back at a 4WD show in Bris, but didn't take note of the details. Subsequent search revealed nought.

Funny you should say "Land Rover Aust" cause I gave up and now listen to the SCREEHES of assorted bracken down the roof/sides of my brand spanking new Defender.

Have to console myself with the fact that if you can't cop the scratches you should not be there anyway .... but between you and me (quietly) .. it still bleep es me off.

Happy bushingRosco
AnswerID: 36235

Follow Up By: Andrew - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 22:29

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 22:29
Yep, I'm with you on the scratches. I have a 100s Landcruiser and I am happy to go anywhere with it. Went out with my brother in law and he gets out and prunes the bushes which is quite funny watching. Sounds a good idea though having something to protect the paint. Went up to Mansfield in Melbourne this Cup Day weekend and copped a few more scratches but he scenery was phenomenal. Quite a bit of snow at Craig's Hut and on Buller - life is awesome sometimes.
Andrew
FollowupID: 26130

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 23:40

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 23:40
I had this material on the sides of a dark metallic green pajero for 4 years, at the end of the lease I pulled it all off and the paint underneath was perfect and I got top dollar for the car. Cheers Rob http://www.cairns.net.au/~signs/bodyguarding.htmCairns Offroad Training & Tours
FollowupID: 26253

Follow Up By: Andrew - Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 08:18

Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 08:18
Thanks Rob - the stuff sounds awesome if it stayed on for four years and after removing it your paintwork was smooth as a baby's gluteals. Did you apply it yourself and did it look alright when it was on the car and how much did it cost???? So many ?'s.
Andrew
FollowupID: 26267

Reply By: joc45 - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 23:19

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2003 at 23:19
That's why I was happy with a non-metallic white duco, which is fairly easy to polish the scratches out.
Unfortunately, when buying the new GU, the only non-metallic colour on an ST was white - bit bland for an ST, and besides, I was sick of white, so ended up with metallic, didn't I? Funny, now one doesn't seem to go down those narrow, overgrown tracks as much in the new wagon.
AnswerID: 36241

Reply By: ray91 - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 00:37

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 00:37
have a look here,, http://www.4wdworld.com.au/products/scratchpro/index.htm
AnswerID: 36245

Follow Up By: Andrew - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 14:05

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 14:05
It looks an interesting product and would be interested to know how much it is worth. Could it be available throught the exploroz website if reasonably priced and effective.
FollowupID: 26178

Reply By: Slammin - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 01:33

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 01:33
It's funny how things link up, when I saw your topic "body protection" my 1st thought was for motocross chest protection etc , something motorbike related - funny because the product you talk about is the same stuff dirtbikers cover their plastics with (or stickers).
I don't bother myself but have seen that signwriters can get a much cheaper clear or coloured film that you can use. Alternately those suffering from Tightarse Tuesdayitis get the school book film and do a double layer.

The best hint is to use a hairdryer to mould the plastic on rounded panels.
AnswerID: 36247

Follow Up By: Andrew - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 14:09

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 14:09
Thought about trying contact but I would be nervous that after applying it, it would be hard to remove or I would remove the paint or leave a sticky residue. Not sure how effective it would be either. Signwriters stuff sounds alright but I would still be nervous putting it onto my duco

Andrew
FollowupID: 26180

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:10

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:10
Scratches!!! Hate 'em and it makes my heart bleed to see what we've done to the duco on our once immaculate GU. But, as others have said, if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. Love our metallic green finish but we've already made a pact that the next 4WD will be white.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 36281

Follow Up By: Andrew - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 14:07

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 14:07
I love yourrr dark green color too but we ended up going for a light metallic silver on our landcruiser instead of the green or maroon or blue which we wanted. Scratches still show up quite a lot but..... as everyone has said.....
Andrew

P.S. I am mostly keeping out of the kitchen anyway!
FollowupID: 26179

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 14:12

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 14:12
That's why I bought a white Defender after having a dark blue Discovery. Couldn't stand the sound or sight of the scratching any longer, especially from those nice hard, burnt twigs, they really are the worst.
No more polishing scratches out whilst the cook supervises!
FollowupID: 26181

Follow Up By: Andrew - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 15:36

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 15:36
Dark blue wound have to be one of the worst colors for showing scratches. That is why we went for a light color. I reckon in about five years our car will have a nice white stripe down the side with the rest silver. Tis a bit like I am becoming - silver on the sides and darker up top. (Except there is a donut appearing I am told!!).
FollowupID: 26190

Reply By: Bitsumishin - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 23:53

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 23:53
Scatchpro AP60 from the link that Ray 91 mentioned costs $60- per litre & you roll or paint it on. (a litre should do one car). Wouldn't use contact unless you had some magic way of removing the glue after the cars been sitting in the sun for a few weeks.
AnswerID: 36356

Sponsored Links