advice on buying a 4wd

Submitted: Monday, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 832 Views:2349 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
i am looking to buy a used dual cab diesel 4wd.i have been looking at the hilux but it seems to be a more expensive vehicle than a similar year navara or rodeo.comments on these vehicles please
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DennisN - Monday, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:00
Terry,
Depends on what use you are going to put it to. If you are planning doing some serious travelling with heavy loads you should consider a turbo diesel.
You get what you pay for in the end. Can't comment on the normally aspirated Hilux and Rodeo diesels, but tough as the little beast is, the normally aspirated diesel Navara is absolutely gutless when it comes to pulling any sort of load [especially the dual cab]. I believe the others are similar, but as I said, I cant comment from personal experience. Go Turbo !!
happy travelling
AnswerID: 2338

Reply By: Alex - Monday, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:00

G'day Terry, Overlander 4WD Magazine did an article comparing these a few years back. From memory, the Hilux and Rodeo came out equal top. You can probably get a copy of the article if you contact them direct.
AnswerID: 2339

Follow Up By: Alex - Monday, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:00

PS - their website is www.overlander.com.au
Cheers, Alex
FollowupID: 840

Reply By: terry travia - Monday, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:00

dennis and alex thanks for your help.alex,the overlander website was very helpful.anybody else with any comments
AnswerID: 2347

Reply By: Trevor - Friday, Mar 15, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Mar 15, 2002 at 01:00
Terry,
I went through the same exercise myself a few years back (1998). I purchased a pre-loved normally
asperated 1996 4x4 twin cab Hilux, low k's, good nick. We (the wife & I) found: the standard level of equipment
sadly lacking, vinal seats, am radio, one speaker, no casette player and the suspension extreamly harsh. It also struggled
in the power department. However, without wanting to sound bias, there are millions of them on the
road so obviously there are millions of happy customers. We found we could not tolorate the harsh
ride any longer and traded it in after 1 month.
We bought a Rodeo, 1996 4x4 twin cab turbo diesel, same price as the Hilux. Cloth seats, am/fm radio
casette player and a much more comfortable ride with what appears to be about 50% more power. However,
we are comparing a turbo with a non-turbo. The rodeo turns in around 30mpg Hwy & Suburban
running, can't comment on the Hilux, didn't have it long enough. Having kids, there is a lot more
room in the back seat of the rodeo than any of the others that I have looked at. Perhaps the Hilux is
an aquired taste and I should have stuck with it longer, but that's my 2 bobs worth. I know that I
run the risk of backlash form all Hilux owners but...........and no I don't work for GMH.

AnswerID: 2387

Follow Up By: Terry Travia - Friday, Mar 15, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Mar 15, 2002 at 01:00
thanks for your reply trevor.i find your comments very interesting as they back up a review i just read on the rodeo which confirms what you had to say about fuel economy and power.even though the review did state that the rodeos 4wd skills were not as good as the hilux it would seem to me that the rodeo represents better value for money overall.any more comments?
FollowupID: 863

Sponsored Links