Camper Trailers - How they're hangin'?

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 16:38
ThreadID: 8326 Views:2028 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
In looking at a number of camper trailers, some fold out to the rear, some fold out to the side, some even hang out on both sides.

For trailer owners out there, which way does yours hang and what are the pro's/con's?

Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 16:46

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 16:46
Your best bet here, is to hire a few different brands for weekends here and there, since they are so $$$ to buy, and see what works for you... What works for you maynot work for them..

Mate did that and is making his own now so much cheaper, and puts what he wants where...

YMMV..
AnswerID: 36309

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 16:51

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 16:51
Hi Lyds,

Our campertrailer has gull wings that open out on both sides. A double bed then pushes forward over the drawbar and the gull wings become single beds, creating a central interior "living area". Personally, I luv this arrangement.

Previous camper was a soft floor rear opener. Very easy to set-up and pack-up but limited floor space because essentially the floor was not much bigger than the double bed area on top of the storage compartment. This is the same for all your hardfloor rear openers. Fine for a couple but we found it very limiting once our son was born.

For more info, go to our family website (URL below) and have a look at my write-ups on both campertrailers in the Our Rigs section.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://www.users.bigpond.com/flatdog
AnswerID: 36311

Follow Up By: Lyds - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 17:27

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 17:27
In other trailers that floor space is used for storage/rollout drawers etc Where do you put all your stuff?Cheers,
Stuart
FollowupID: 26206

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 18:04

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 18:04
The Camprite has a large nose cone storage box which carries most of our bits'n pieces like portaloo, 20L washing bucket & shower, awning, tools, heavy cookware (eg. camp ovens) and so on. Also has two small side storage boxes in which we keep spare jack, spares and oils etc. On the floor of the living area travel our table and chairs which are always the first things taken out when setting up and last things packed up so they aren't in the way being carried there. And right up front of this floor space we keep our clothes bags. When the double bed pushes forward about 40cm of the foot of the bed hangs over the living area creating a bit of a recess. So even when set-up, our clothes aren't in the way there. Actually we have plans to build-in some drawers in this space but haven't got around to it yet. Stove, crockery, cutlery etc is all contained in the swing out kitchen. Trailer also has 4 x j/can holders and 2 x 4kg gas bottle holders plus 2 x 50L water tanks. Finally, we had a tie-down rail fitted to the top of the nose cone which is perfect for carrying firewood and stuff like that. So as you can see we are pretty well covered as far as storage and carrying space.

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 26213

Reply By: keepsmilin - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 21:28

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 21:28
hi lyds
hiring a few from a few different companies, is the go, we hired before we bought, and sussed them all out at the caravan and camping show. Great place to get ideas, make sure your trailer is capable of doing it to your needs and being able to handle the rough stuff.
We bought a Complete Campsite trailer(deluxe) as mark has been making trailers for years, and his hire fleet is his testing centre, the result a tuff trailer at a reasonable price.
good luck and dont pull your hair out, enjoy the expierence.............
AnswerID: 36339

Follow Up By: Lyds - Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 16:30

Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 16:30
Thanks Smiley.

Just to go back to my original question, which way does the tent fold out? any problems/recommendations?Cheers,
Stuart
FollowupID: 26295

Follow Up By: keepsmilin - Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 21:22

Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 21:22
our tent folds out of the side(drivers side of the trailer) with the awning swinging up from the rear (in which the pajeros rear can back under for easy unloading in wet weather) the tail gate swings out hinged passenger side of trailer with the kitchen attached. bingo 5 minutes Ive done my work, and into the coldies while the young fella (4 yrs) bangs in the tent pegs
The tent sits on top of the trailer as you would know, we leave the bed set up, put the table on it with the paddles for the kyak, and poles onthe side of the matteress, then a tarp over with the main cover over that. The room under inside the trailer is for all our family needs, such as extra tarps, chairs, dry food container, toys, etc there is side access into the trailer, and while the tent is up, you can still get in there.
there is a tool box on the front with heaps of room.
Very simple, with heaps of room.
keep smilin
FollowupID: 26324

Reply By: Keith from Tambo Campers - Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 18:35

Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 18:35
Lyde

There are two main things to consider re your question about off the side versus off the rear campers.

Campers that are off the side have a larger floor area being around 7ft to 8ft wide versus around 5ft of off the rear.

When sleeping on an off the side one person will be against a wall and have to climb over their partner to leave the bed. Not a real issue I believe.

We find most people would rather a larger floor area and don't mind the sleeping positions.

We have used many types and find the soft floor off the side the best configuration.

If you want any other information, I would be happy to help.

Regards

KeithTambo Campers
AnswerID: 36432

Reply By: TERRY - Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 21:41

Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 21:41
lyds i have rented a few different types and i keep coming back to adventure camper trailers it has a drawer out the back and folds out to passenger side the bed is huge with plenty of floor space and lot of storeage space.on last trip i took
it from glendambo to cook along train line with no promblems it's a goat track last 150 odd kms check out there wed site
TERRY
AnswerID: 36632

Sponsored Links