mereenie loop rd

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 17:05
ThreadID: 8344 Views:1866 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can any one tell me the distance to travel the loop
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 17:35

Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 17:35
197kms from Kings Canyon Resort to Hermannsburg .Did the loop 3 months ago and it was a really nice drive.
AnswerID: 36424

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 17:45

Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 17:45
Forgot to mention you need a permit to travel the Loop Rd, costs about $2.30 (per vehicle) and is avaliable from most tourist places.We got ours at Hermannsburg on our way.
FollowupID: 26302

Reply By: Spy - Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 20:55

Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 20:55
Enjoy the drive, we did it about a month ago. When we were in Alice Springs we were approached by a man surveying travellers for the NT Tourism Association. Whist we were filling in the survey he told us that the Mereenie Loop is going to be bitumeninsed. A pity really - we felt that the dirt was part of the attraction. Uluru was very sanitised and "touristy" by comparison. We were there 20 years ago and enjoyed it much more!
AnswerID: 36452

Reply By: Nomad - Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 23:06

Thursday, Nov 06, 2003 at 23:06
Yeah get in quick and enjoy the drive. Beautiful country but once they seal it all up you might as well drive around town with all the other terrorists.

Why must the authorities always go and spoil an attraction by making access so much easier. Just like Canarvon Gorge in Qld. Used to take a bit of effort to get there. You could still take your car but it was an adventure. Not anymore though. The park has been loved to death. And the easier they make it to get to these types of places, the more they are going to destroy them.

Cheers (I think)
AnswerID: 36475

Follow Up By: - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 19:07

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 19:07
nomad, i have to agree with you, if we are not being locked out the country we love,what is left they are making it accessable to every one. I intend to do the ann beadell track next year and thought i might track up north and do the loop from the rock back to alice, just working out a few costs. I hear they are also going to seal the birdsville track, thank god i have seen most of them in there wild state.
regards, jeff
FollowupID: 26938

Reply By: Nomad - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 22:48

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 22:48
Jeff,

Can't say I've heard the rumour about sealing the Birdsville Track. Certainly hope your wrong. God help this country if the idiot politicians the we the idiot people vote into power, ever do a stupid dumb thing like that.

I'm no rabid greenie, but we must conserve more of our beautiful country in it's "natural" state for our future generations to see and appreciate. I put natural in inverted commas because there is not much real natural country left.

If we are destroying our country just so that overseas tourists can get to it more easily then perhaps we should not encourage them as we do????

Cheers
AnswerID: 37246

Sponsored Links