Private camping clubs

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 21:50
ThreadID: 83477 Views:2999 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
As camping is becoming more popular in Australia and the population is on the increase we are finding that over the last few years the National park and council owned camp grounds are becoming more and more busy even in off peak times.
After discussing this with the in-laws from Sweden they mentioned that they were members of a club that campers could join that provided contact details of private land owners who were willing to allow small groups or individuals to camp on their property for a small fee. It sounded like there were some really nice places they had stayed at besides lakes etc that they would normally not have had access to.

There must be hundreds of properties throughout Australia that have great places to camp but the owners are not willing to take the risk of opening up to the general public. Does anyone know of such a club in Australia that has allows members to contact private land owners, I'd even be happy to pay some sort of good behaviour bond to be a member if necessary. There are plenty of websites that hook up house minders, home swaps etc where the members build up a reputation based on feedback, maybe that would be the way to go.

With the ageing population and the grey army hitting the road I am just concerned we are running out of places to camp and the government seem to be reducing the places you are allowed to camp in National parks rather than increasing them.


Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 22:22

Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 22:22
Mate the insurance companies and the regulators would have a field day with Public Risk Insurance EH.

Then you'd probably have to meet the Public health Standards x amount of toilets per vehicle etc?
AnswerID: 440908

Reply By: Joe Grace Doomadgee - Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 22:26

Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 22:26
i am tending to think along the lines of what we probally call them here ...... "tour groups"
As an orginised "group" they actually have access to land/s as a "group" that we as a stand alone traveller dont, many places let groups in but are closed to general public ......

AnswerID: 440909

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 23:26

Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 23:26
Hi Mark

On private land - have to get past your local Shire with an application to run a new business, subject to appeals from the neighbours (and no doubt the local caravan park as they seem to have a lot of friends in Councils), meet stringent health regulations for all the requirements of a 'caravan park', register the business with the tax office, pay a hefty liability insurance premium - all because you may take $5 every now and then from a (self contained) caravanner.

Certainly friendships can be made through internet clubs and forums, and a friend be invited to stay with their caravan for a night or two and no money changing hands. The first time we set off across this country, we stayed with forums friends in every state we visited. We have also had e-friends come and visit and sometimes stay when on their travels.

We have also had friends of a family member come to spend the weekend out of the city with their young children in a tent. Despite being told no campfires, they somehow forget and lit a small campfire in our summer and total fire ban period (having taken normal precautions of clearing well around it). Years later they still apologise to us for their stupidity. Can the landholder take the risk with people he doesn't know?


Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 440916

Reply By: BadgerOne - Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 20:26

Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 20:26
They have them (or something similar) in New Zealand, but my mind has gone blank and I can't think of what they call them (POPs or something).

The usual insurance and council regulation comments follow these threads, and even though that would undoubtedly be considerations, why can NZ do them and not here in Oz?
AnswerID: 441292

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 20:47

Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 20:47
Here is a page to start

AnswerID: 441294

Reply By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 20:48

Sunday, Jan 09, 2011 at 20:48
Nice idea..the term "can of worms" springs to mind.

AnswerID: 441295

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)