Transfer Case Incident

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 08:30
ThreadID: 83718 Views:5839 Replies:11 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
So I'm crawling up out of the Crooked river, but we are in low range which is nice and low now that we have had 43% lower gears fitted to the new Patrol.

The embankments a bit rough and steep but the Bighorms bite deep and next where on the top.

I go to change out of low range, but what! the transfer case lever doesn't move, a bit more playing around and forcing and it sort of goes 1/2 way between low/high range.

Theres a few nasty noises and the transfer case seems to be stuck in no mans land and the car won't move.

Mild panic sets in - what on earth could be wrong, this is impossible.

Spend several minutes stuck like this, fearing another claim on Nissan roadside service and probable ruination of the rest of Xmas holidays 4wd trip was apon us.

In the playing around I stalled the car, so got out and hoped underneath the car.

I have someone play with the gear lever while I get under the car and look at the selectors operation.
I expected that a stick etc was stuck into the selector plate on the side of the tranfer case preventing it notching in.

Nothing - but everything now works smoothly and transfer case lever changes from high to low correctly.

Back in the car - but the confidence has taken a beating.

Start the engine, drop it into low range to move off and damm it crunches, gets stuck again and we go nowhere again.

After some time with this it dawns on me that something is seriously wrong, the transfer case simply won't engage properly with the engine running, but it will with engine stopped.

What could it be !

This cars an auto and it soon became obvious that the pressure from the autos operation is enough to prevent operation.

The crawlers gears had only been installed a month ago and had seen little use - something must have been done wrong , an interlock pin slightly bent or piece or gear broken and jammed.

Its now a week later, the low ratio gear fitter was back from holidays and
under warranty pulled down the transfer case.

No fault could be found or even theorized , however the dog gear that slides out the main gear could be fitted in 1 of 2 ways , the Nissan diagram didn't indicate which.

The tranfer case was reassembled with the dog gear on the other way around, it has a chamfer on it this way which may make engagement easier.

All now appears well, after some heavy recent bush work.

Could the gear really have been fitted backwards - and if so why would it work for 1 month and then suddenly not, right after crawling out of a river and facing a very big hill ?
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Axle - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 09:33

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 09:33
G/Day Robin, Sounds a wierd one, I wonder if you are getting diff wind up now, crawling with good traction?, can put incredible pressure right thru the drive train,everything locks up,,,,maybe?

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 442177

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 14:07

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 14:07
Hi Axle

While this first occurred while 4wding , further checks showed it had no relationship with 4wd or wind up.
It just wouldn't go in after 2wding or when first started next morning.

So its looking like a gear fitted backwards , has clearly made a difference - but can't be sure - maybe a chip of a gear fell out as the oil was drained ?
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 714278

Reply By: Voxson - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:51

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:51
Mate,

I had an Auto 3litre and it was a mongrel to get from high to low and visa versa....
I had to prepare early and whilst rolling just a tad without any forward preload pressure it would slip in nicely...
My mates auto same thing...
Try and put it in stationary you need a lot of good luck...
So every time i ever used low range i made sure i was rolling a smidgion.
AnswerID: 442179

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 19:48

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 19:48
Hi Voxson

Yep , I heard though that that sort of issue was solved when they went from that 4 speed to the new 5 speed auto the 4800's have - maybe not !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 714309

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:14

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:14
I have regularly observed another Nissan Patrol owner with an auto turn off his engine before engaging low gear. Seemed a bit odd but that's what this guy regularly (mechanic) does!
AnswerID: 442182

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 21:41

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 21:41
Hi Leigh

Interesting - the transfer case has remained the same in all Patrols for 20 years now - and considering the documentation it would be easy to get the odd dog gear reversed.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 714340

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 09:04

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 09:04
Hi Robin. I don't have the tech knowledge, but he's done it for the last 12 years. Leigh
FollowupID: 714378

Reply By: OREJAP - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:00

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:00
Hi Robin, A bit cantankerost this Newbie....is it a male or female model!!! LOL!! Seriously, do you go into neutral after stopping select low range and then drive off sorry for the question I am not up with Nissan autos. With the auto Pajero I had (NP) once stopped I selected neutral on auto, selected LR on stumpy stick but had to wait 6 to 10 seconds before selecting a gear otherwise it may work may not select or just go bang and do nothing!!! Be interested to know what the end result is. I am sure you'll post if anything new occurs. Monty
AnswerID: 442189

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 14:16

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 14:16
I can answer the first part of your post easily Monty - she's definately female !

However she has some surprizingly stubborn characteristics - as per a post last week she did a seriously good job of pulling out several tons of tree - but maybe thats because I told her she probably couldn't do it without help from my male 4800 patrol.

The Nissan 5 speed auto requires that you operate the tranfer case only when the auto is in neutral.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 714279

Reply By: roberttbruce - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:01

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:01
I had a same issue,

i dont have nissan but keep reading... I am really hoping to help here...

I have toyo 4x4 bus with GM going to divorced F-series drive-train ...

c'mon, keep reading...

it is a solid conversion, none of the typical groans or moans....

My cause is...

a slightly slipping c-clip due to a even slighter twist on power-out yoke...

twist occured when i pulled a abandoned car out of a pond a few months back...but a 350 tuned for lpg thru a T7 auto will do that....

my weak point is the power-out yoke and the tiny gm uni...
but im happy for it to fail there, a lot cheaper to fix than blowing a diff or xcase...

AnswerID: 442190

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 21:43

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 21:43
I'm with you there robert - I suspected that possibly an overstretched clip you just interfere where it wasn't wanted , are also its position may rotate.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 714341

Follow Up By: roberttbruce - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 22:47

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 22:47
your spot-on Robin, as darn usual...lol...

as the clip moves around, engaging drive gives a distinctive crunch, thats my early warning system to tell me one side of the clip is about to pop out....
i've only had to tweak it twice in 6000K's. Once after hitting a unfortunate wombat and another after moving my sick mum and all her gear up from vic, both fully understandable...

im sure i speak for all of forum Robin, we really do enjoy your posts, please keep them coming...
FollowupID: 714354

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:08

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:08
G/Day Robin

With the extra work done on your gearbox, re lower gears ect, how does the Nissan Warranty work if you have problems with the transfer case ect?, I had a problem with our nissan when I was backing the caravan up a steep grade in low range, I had problems getting it back into Drive, when we put it in for a service they looked at it and have had no more problems.

Cheers
AnswerID: 442191

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 21:50

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 21:50
When I drove away from the new car yard - I thought to myself - I will never be back except for a major emergency Daza, and mentally wrote off warranty preffering to do things myself.

My other 4800 never went back for a service - and despite several incidents I have had over the years they could all be traced back to human's stuffing things up as opposed to and basic design fault. Its a reason I like the big inline 6 motor and manual gearbox and driveline etc.

This case here is another in that line - can't blame the car if a 3rd party pulls down the box and re-assembles it with a gear backwards.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 714343

Reply By: - mazcan - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:48

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:48
hi robin
from what you have described you are getting transmission torque build up
i have experienced this on a nissan navara 1988 4x4 and a subaru 4x4 1982 brumby and a 4x4 1984 suby 1800 station wagon driving backwards also worked but these were both manuals and also on one of our john deere tractors while we were cleaning out dams
/ 5.9ltr V8 jeep cherokee with the quadra track full time trans and a turbo 400 auto gear box when ever i drove in low/high range for short and in particular longer periods then tryed to go into low/low it was hard to get in but even harder to get out of low i contacted jeep and was told it was torque build up and was common

and to drive backwards while disengaging this worked for what ever reason in the jeep
and i used to turn the jeep off to get it in easyilly the jeep trans also used to emit a grunting/growling sound from the quadra track system

which i was told was also normal and proved to be the case over 112000 km's

when you have such low ratios churning away pressure does build in the system and also with diff locks etc

you had it to bits and discovered the bevel on the gear and its been now put in the other way round so in view of that and not finding anything alse wrong i would put it down to trq
b/up
so stop worrying there is enough other things in life to create grey hairs
so don't worry --be happy these thing are therer to test the metal and the mind
cheers and enjoy your new toy
AnswerID: 442198

Follow Up By: - mazcan - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:54

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:54
hi robyn
also mud tyre's cause more trans torque buildup as they don't allow much give between ground and beast
try a st of racing slicks and although you wont get far up a hill you wont get the same trq bd/up either
cheers
FollowupID: 714268

Reply By: River Swaggie - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 14:10

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 14:10
Hiya Robin

This reminds me exactly like the Warn Winch part thats under the clutch lever...It slides on grease to engage the gearing.Now this can be put back in two ways...It works for awhile and then bang if the wrong way..It wont work (clutch lever)...Now this has a straight cut on one end or a champer like you said about your gearing.I would say now its in that way your going to be ok...

AnswerID: 442209

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 07:41

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 07:41
I suspect that is the case Swaggie
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 714371

Reply By: ob - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 14:11

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 14:11
Robin, is your car part time or full time 4WD? AFAIK all auto's will try to spin the transmission output shaft if the engine is running, even with the selector in neutral. The torque convertor and range clutch packs have a natural "drag". Maybe with a full time 4WD setup the effect may not be noticed.

ob
AnswerID: 442210

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 19:46

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 19:46
Part time ob - and also no syncro on the hi/lo range transfer , as you say you can feel drag which is always more when you first start car and they have a higher idle speed for a minute or so.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 714308

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 16:36

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 16:36
Robin
I know absolutely nothing about your problem. But I'm glad to see the truck did not roll over as you went over the embankment......................lol

teege
AnswerID: 442222

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 19:59

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 19:59
Probably the heavy weight of the worry kept the C of G low teege
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 714312

Reply By: Member - peter f (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 18:08

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2011 at 18:08
I have a petrol auto GQ ,infact its my 2nd petrol auto patrol and it doesn,t have trouble going in to low range .
mechpete
AnswerID: 442235

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 07:44

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 07:44
Thanks Peter - good to hear from GQ owner , the auto is different but its the same transfer case.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 714372

Sponsored Links