Magellan GPS problem

Submitted: Friday, Nov 07, 2003 at 22:24
ThreadID: 8373 Views:1673 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday everyone
I know what some of you will say, but my new Meridian (purchased overseas) has just died. (shouldagotalocalone)
On their website, Magellan Australia say that they will warrant units purchased OS so we will see what the situation is when they reply to my email.
Has anyone had a similar situation with units purchased OS and did you get satisfaction from Magellan?
cheers
OskarThe real oskar
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: awill4x4 - Friday, Nov 07, 2003 at 23:16

Friday, Nov 07, 2003 at 23:16
Oskar, before you send your Magellan to Magellan Aus for warranty you should join the Yahoo Magellan Meridian group. The web address is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Magellan_Meridian
This group has over 5700 members and has helped endless people with supposedly dead meridians.
It's certainly worth a try.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 36585

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Nov 07, 2003 at 23:44

Friday, Nov 07, 2003 at 23:44
Andrews right there, ask on the forum, but what happened.

and no you still saved $$, even if you had to buy another one O/S new, you would almost come out even.
FollowupID: 26406

Reply By: JC - Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 16:32

Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 16:32
Hi Oscar,

Where did you buy it from? The magellan site says that they will honour the warranty if you have proof of purchase so I can't see how they could refuse (as long as you have proof of purchase).
I emailed gpscity regarding warranty and DOA policy.
Although more expensive buying thru them than ebay (duty,gst,etc) they said they will honour warranty but you have to send it back to the US, worst case you could send it back to who you bought it from an get them to claim warranty.
Hope you get it sorted out. Lets us know how you go.

Johnny
AnswerID: 36610

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 22:17

Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 22:17
Johnny
I got the impression from the Magellan site that I just need to send it to Magellan in Perth with the receipt.
So far so good (up to a point I guess)
I'm sure I'm not the first with this situation.
Cheers
OskarThe real oskar
FollowupID: 26473

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:32

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:32
Johnny
No go on Magellan warranty.
They do not warrant units purchased on Ebay. End of story according to Perth.
$289 down the gurgler I guess.
I just took delivery of the PC/power cable (Ebay) yesterday for a unit that is stuffed.
RATS
cheers
OskarThe real oskar
FollowupID: 26621

Follow Up By: JC - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 10:48

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 10:48
Hi Oskar,

Did you have proof of purchase?
Nowhere on the magellan site does it say that ebay purchases are excluded.
There are legitimate buisinesses that use ebay.
I would take it further with Magellan, maybe ask Dept of Fair Trading what the go is as I don't think Magellan are doing the right thing.
Failing that, you can always contacted the ebay seller. he may take it back as the warranty should be OK in the US and he may get it fixed for you. Will only cost you postage.

Good Luck

Johnny
FollowupID: 26625

Reply By: BurnieM - Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 10:09

Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 10:09
How did it die ?

If it has no power then I believe that there is a known problem with the connector between the battery compartment and the circuit board.
You may be able to dismantle and reseat it yourself.
AnswerID: 36663

Sponsored Links