Renewing a NSW Rego in WA. Obtaining a pink slip? advice

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 14:51
ThreadID: 83751 Views:19720 Replies:9 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
just a quickie!

I am from NSW and am traveling and am currently in WA. I know you are suppose to transfer rego etc if you are out of your home state for a period of time etc etc. Im not after a lecture about that.
I am however after some info about obtaining a RWC (pink slip) here in WA so i can pay my rego online. Can a WA rwc suffice or do i need to go to a NSW accredited mechanic (if they exist) to do the check?

i have tried the RTA website and used the pink slip agent finder but none exist in WA.

has anybody done this? how have they gone about it?
I have emailed the RTA but i am not sure how long it will take to get a reply, so i thought id check in here aswell.

Thanks for any help.

Doey
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ben_gv3 - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 15:03

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 15:03
Have you tried picking up the phone? I'm sure the RTA have a phone number or two you can try.
AnswerID: 442344

Follow Up By: DOEY- Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 15:13

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 15:13
Thank you for your suggestion. i will make a call when i have a landline available.
FollowupID: 714422

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 15:29

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 15:29
Hi Doey,
I dont think Bens reply was meant to be sarcastic, he was only making a resonable comment. You hadnt indicated in your original note that you only had access to to a mobile phone.
If people ask resonable questions & people come back & want to bite thier head off ..... you will never get a reply to your question.

Just my 2 cents worth
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 714424

Follow Up By: DOEY- Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 15:43

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 15:43
Hi tony

My question was to the people on here that could offer their experience or knowledge on the topic of nsw rego renewal in wa. i wasnt after questions like "have you tried picking up the phone", that purely wasnt helpful and hopefully you could see that.

of course phonecalls are an option, but i didnt think i needed to explain myself and mention i have no landline phone access. it wasnt really relevant. Sure, making a phone call is a reasonable suggestion, but do you really think i wouldnt have thought about that if it was the most convenient option?
I took it as sarcastic, perhaps i am wrong about that. and i do offer an apology if this the case.
I just get frustrated very quickly, especially lately on here when people ask a genuine question and you have the smart alexs that are quick to respond with:
"google is your friend"
"have you used the search function"
"try picking up a phone"
i made a genuine request for info... any help would be appreciated.

FollowupID: 714428

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 16:00

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 16:00
Hi Doey

Contact NSW licensing authority, and ask which inspectors in WA that they authorise to do this inspection for you. If they don't answer your email promptly, telephone them.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 442351

Follow Up By: DOEY- Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 17:16

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 17:16
Thanks motherhen

I am aware of agencies that could provide the answer, i have (as stated above) emailed the RTA.

I will call when i have access to a landline phone.

I was hoping that someone on the forum could help me, particularly if they had done it themselves and knew the procedure.

hopefully getting it inspected wont be too much hassle.

cheers
FollowupID: 714442

Reply By: ob - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 16:16

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 16:16
Doey,
I am here in WA but one of my daughters lived in NSW for about 5 years and I know in NSW you have to have a car inspected every 12 months I think after a certain age. I assume that is what you mean by "pink slip". As we don't have that system here in WA (well not yet anyway) all you have to do is present yourself and your vehicle to a licencing center where they inspect it and give you a WA rego if that is what you are after. I may be wrong but I have never heard of anyone being authorised to carry out that inspection here other than the licencing centres and then only for WA rego.

ob
AnswerID: 442357

Follow Up By: DOEY- Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 17:05

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 17:05
thanks OB

Im not looking to register it for WA, i just want to renew my NSW rego. Yeah pink slip is what we call a RWC to say its roadworthy and we have to get them every year.
In NSW we just take it to a registered mechanic, they give it the quick once over to make sure it meets requirements, they charge you $30 and they electronically send the info to the RTA ready for you to rock up and register.

hopefully the rta will get back to me soon. i may be looking at new blue and white plates soon.

cheers

FollowupID: 714439

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 17:18

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 17:18
Doey
WA has inspection centres which will inspect your vehicle and issue a certificate of roadworthiness. The RTA in NSW will accept that in lieu of their pink slip. I had mine done a few years ago in Karratha. I think the cost then was $50 and the inspector refused to accept anything but cash!!!

teege

AnswerID: 442368

Follow Up By: DOEY- Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 17:21

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 17:21
awesome, that sounds promising then.

Thank you very much.
FollowupID: 714443

Follow Up By: Witi Repartee - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 21:28

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 21:28
Finally a concise and relevant answer. I think some posters should count to ten, read the original question accurately...then post an informative on topic reply. If not...please don't bother!!!
FollowupID: 714462

Follow Up By: Member - Bill B1 (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 22, 2011 at 20:21

Saturday, Jan 22, 2011 at 20:21
I did mine in 2010 when in Kununarra.
Rock up to an Accredited Inspection Station, get the job done, pay the money (a lot more then in NSW), take the paper slip.
Post the slip to a contact in NSW who will then front the RTA with the relevant documents (Third Party slip too), pay the money and get your rego sticker posted back to you.
You can pay the Third Party online and it will show on the RTA system when your nominee fronts the counter.
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 714759

Follow Up By: DOEY- Saturday, Jan 22, 2011 at 20:28

Saturday, Jan 22, 2011 at 20:28
Thanks Bill

Yeah the inspection was $87 vs $30 in nsw, but apparently more thorough so good to get a good check up of the car.

I am sorting it out next week, after some research i may just get it rego'ed in WA after all, might even save a few $$$.

cheers.
FollowupID: 714760

Reply By: Member - Wayne D (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 02:49

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 02:49
I have just had my rego transferred from NSW to NT and what a hassle.
My daughter lives in NT and I have just moved to Asia but kept the car. In the end I had to transfer the car to my daughter name to get it registered in NT.
Dont know if WA is the same but if the vehicle is in NT for 3 months it needs to be registered in NT or the classify it as unregisterd and uninsured and if you are not resident in NT you cant register it!! Go figure.
Dont know why these things have to be so difficult, if a vehicle is road worthy its road worth so why should not you be able to get a licenced mechanic in WA to issue a certificate for any other state after all it is still only one country!!
Hope it works out for you with a lot less hassle than I had. Cost me $2600 in the end.
AnswerID: 442401

Follow Up By: DOEY- Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 09:03

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 09:03
Hi Wayne

i think the same 3 month rule applies over hear by what i can gather speaking to people. But they dont need to know how long im here for. :-)

I agree its a hassle, was a costly excercise for you- bugger!
I was searching the net yesterday looking at the RTA and WA transport website and i couldnt see anything about getting it done. this got me worried abit because, like you, i was thinking i may have to do the whole transfer thing etc and it would be costly thing to do.
Others have pointed out that WA inspection stations will issue a RWC that the NSW RTA will accept- thank god for that.

I did email the RTA but no response yet.

I hate state governments, why can they all just be the same. Of all the states ive been in, WA really feels like another country.

cheers for your input.

Doey
FollowupID: 714487

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 09:15

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 09:15
Don't forget, that if you have an accident, your insurer will be vry intereted to know how long you have been there!
FollowupID: 714490

Follow Up By: DOEY- Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 09:27

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 09:27
definitely something to keep in mind shaker

As people travel around and move from town to town, state to state. your fixed address is your van or camper. Its a pain in the neck to transfer rego, address etc. This is where a national licence and rego system would be good.
cheers
FollowupID: 714492

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 08:39

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 08:39
Doey,
As has been said RTA will accept a roadworthy certificate from a reputable testing station. Friends of ours did this whilst we were in in Russia and the RTA accepted the Russian certificate to reregister the vehicle.
cheers
AnswerID: 442413

Follow Up By: DOEY- Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 09:06

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 09:06
Hi Alastair

So your friends took their car to Russia and got it registered in NSW???

Its a funny system our government has setup.

Knowing that a reputable testing station can issue one that NSW will accept, i will be finding one and booking into one next week.

thanks
Doey
FollowupID: 714488

Follow Up By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 18:56

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 18:56
Just to clarify.

We had 2 vehicles both registered in NSW. Shipped to Russia. Registration was RENEWED using Russian certificate.

cheers
FollowupID: 714527

Reply By: Ray - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 08:46

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 08:46
"One Country" is it?
AnswerID: 442415

Follow Up By: DOEY- Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 09:11

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 09:11
hi Ray

You have to wonder sometimes, dont you.

Im not a fan of state governments.

Different road rules, school systems, tax system, housing regulations, health systems etc etc.

As a country it would be nice if everything was the same for everyone.

My question may have seen simple or straightforward but using the different state websites etc, the lingo is different ie vehicle licensing vs registration etc it was actually quite complicated to establish what i needed to do. thank god for the forum.

Cheers
Doey
FollowupID: 714489

Reply By: Ruffy-Dan - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 13:45

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 13:45
Hey Doey,
From the other side of the fence and a different state but i assume same rule applies.
I have a licensed RW inspection centre in victoria and have issued RWC for interstate travellers form NSW for the purpose of re-newing rego.

Having spent time in NSW i think most other states have a far more stringent inspection requirements and therefor NSW will recognise them.

DAN
AnswerID: 442431

Reply By: DOEY- Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 16:58

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 16:58
For those who are interested and for even for those who arent. I got a reply from the RTA today. as follows:

Dear Customer

Thank you for your email.

To renew your NSW registration while interstate you will need to post the following documents: -

Registration Renewal Papers
Inspection Report (if required)
Green Slip
Cheque or credit card details for the amount of the renewal.

For the RTA to accept an interstate inspection report you must be more than 50km away from the NSW border. The report must be from an approved inspection station through the Interstate Transport Authority.

Please post the documents to: -

NSW Roads and Traffic Authority
PO BOX 21
PARKES 2870

Please note that the paid renewal document will be forwarded to your address that is recorded on the RTA system, so you may need to arrange for someone to forward them back to you.

For further information please contact the RTA Contact Centre on 132 213 to discuss with a Contact Centre Services Officer.

Regards
Col

it doesnt leave me much time, but thats my own fault. I will when i get a chance call them to see if i could fax the inspection report and pay over the phone. it may be a little quicker that way. but im glad to know they will accept one from WA.

Thank you for all those who helped.

cheers.
AnswerID: 442442

Sponsored Links