Where can I find 'tap' rivets?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 at 18:42
ThreadID: 83756 Views:1808 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking for rivets (I think they are called tap rivets) to repair a set of kitchen knives in my campervan. They are the rivets which hold the knife handles on, and are made from a soft alloy, which is pushed through the handles and then gently tapped with a hammer to fill counter-sunk holes.

The knives are good quality, and the knife block fits perfectly into the campervan cupboards, so I would be reluctant to replace them.

Most hardware stores have been unable to help. Any ideas?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: disco driver - Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 23:53

Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 23:53

Any good Marine store/boat repairer should be able to supply you with copper or monel metal rivets which should do the job.

Alternatively any good engineering supplier should be able to supply suitable rivets in brass or bronze or perhaps even do the repair for you if you ask nicely or even send the missus to ask for help..

I don't think that aluminium ones would be satisfactory as they are usually too soft.

Hope this helps.

AnswerID: 442627

Follow Up By: Maaate - Saturday, Jan 22, 2011 at 11:19

Saturday, Jan 22, 2011 at 11:19
Thanks Disco

I'll give the local marine store a go. The originals were of an aluminium colour, but I'll see what I can track down.

FollowupID: 714679

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)