Jayco Dometic Fridges

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 05:11
ThreadID: 8378 Views:4700 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I own a Jayco Eagle Outback camper and was wondering if anyone has had problems with the fridge. Mine runs fine on 240 volt and on gas, but while driving on 12 volts, it doesnt stay cold. I have checked the voltage at the plug (no voltage drop) and am using 6mm wire (all lights on the camper work when connected to my cruiser). It is only 10 months old and I have taken it back to the place of purchase to check the fridge. They say everything was working fine. Has anyone had a similar problem and know of any solutions as to why its not working on 12 volts?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roger - Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 13:16

Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 13:16
The easiest way to tell if it,s working is to attach the vehicle to the jayco make sure that the elec connections are complete , then turn the fridge on to the 12v setting and after a few minutes there should be some heat generated at the fridge,s exhaust vent. If not and you can get at the back pull the 12v element out and check if it is heating up. If not it,s blown and a replacement will be required.
Remember that when the fridge is on 12v it uses a lot of power anything up to 12amps depending on the wattage of the element. You may also know that the 12v unit is not connected through the thermostat.
I should also warn you that these type of fridges do not work well over 30 deg celc.
Hope this helps a bit.
RegardsDodg
AnswerID: 36605

Reply By: Member - Dave (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 00:09

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 00:09
May be a silly question but did you check the voltage with the fridge running. Do you have other things connected on the same circuit. Is the 6mm wire all the way from the battery. I also had problems with my fridge in my Jayco Eagle. The wire in my crusier was way to small and when I ran 12mm from the battery (mainly to charge a battery on the camper) the fridge now works well most of the time. It does seem to be a bit eratic though and when running on 12v you need to make sure every thing in it is already cold. If I put warm things in it it will not get them cold.Dave
AnswerID: 36805

Follow Up By: Stolzy - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 10:36

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 10:36
Gday Dave...Thanks for the reply, The wire is 6mm all the way from the battery, through a switch on the dash, then straight to the plug. The wiring was done when I had the electric brake controller intalled by so called experts that Jayco deal with in Adelaide, so I presume everything was done correctly. Who knows, but I will be definately keeping on Jaycos back until I am satisfied that the problem is fixed.

Cheers...Stolzy.

PS. When you installed the 12v battery in the camper, did you do it yourself or get somelse to do it? Is it easy enough to do? My email is

stolzy01@bigpond.com

Thanks
FollowupID: 26624

Reply By: rodeoowner - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 21:06

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 21:06
It could be that the 12 volt element has died. Do you know how to use a multimeter? Do a resistance check across the element.
AnswerID: 36914

Reply By: tessa_51 - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:29

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:29
Hi Stolzy
sorry this reply is so late - ive been away for 6 weeks. I also have a Jayco Outback Eagle and had a similar problem. But there was a difference! I drove 6000k's without electric brakes and went through three auto electricians before I found a guy who diagnosed my problem. My Jayco dealer had installed the electric brake controller and had used the same earth for the brakes as for the fridge. Of course when I was on the road I had the fridge on and had no brakes. When I got to a lecco the first thing we would do would be to turn the fridge off to protect the battery! Hey presto - brakes! The bloke at Longreach put a heavy duty earth right through the system and got me sufficient braking to get safely home. I now run a separate line right through for the fridge and have perfect brakes. It seems to me that your problem probably revolves around the same situation. Nobody has been able to explain to me why the problem arose - it may be because of the lack of earthing through the treg coupling, but thats purely a guess. I have a good relationship with my Jayco serviceman and he's not struck it any where else.

I hope this helps
tessa
AnswerID: 36979

Follow Up By: tessa_51 - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:33

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:33
sorry
I forgot to mention that the fridge itself has always worked extremely well. Never let me down for a cold beer after a hard day!
Tessa
FollowupID: 26733

Follow Up By: Stolzy - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 21:06

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 21:06
Gday Tessa,

I can understand your problem, but my problem is the other way around. My brakes work fine, lights on the camper work fine while connected to the car, but no fridge. I will check which way the earth has been run just to make sure.

Thanks...Stolzy
FollowupID: 26953

Sponsored Links