Grunt query

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 22:42
ThreadID: 83784 Views:2964 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering how much difference there would be power wise between an '04 100 series factory turbo with intercooler, chip and 3" exhaust, and the V8 79 series troopy? I'm thinking about changing over to get the better load capacity - but I do like our comfortable wagon. Opinions?? Cheers, Badpoochy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 22:45

Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 at 22:45
I read a review of the 79 done towing a van and they reckoned it wouldn't pull the skin off a custard!

It was in a caravan mag so I dunno how much credence you'd give it?
AnswerID: 442492

Reply By: Muntoo - Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 03:10

Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 03:10
A mate of mine drives a V8 trayback everyday as a work car. Has 2 big tool boxs on it, but only part full of small fitting. Tows everyday also. He hates it, reckons its gutless heap of crap. He has been driving them for about 2 years now and doesnt like the lag and the sluggish nature of it. The Hiluxs they have pull the trailer he tows way better he reckons. He said it is so gutless and has so much lag that if he puts his foot to the floor and turns full lock on loose cracker dust it wont loose traction. The Hiluxs however with same tools spins in 2nd gear. The 2 that i have ever driven also didnt impress me, though i wasnt towing. They are far too sluggish for me, the turbo hardly does anything when it does kick in, and they need to be revved up to 3,000rpm to get them moving. They are slower then the 1HZ even we reckon.

I would keep the 1HDT-FE myself mate. Nothing wrong with that power horse. I would love to have one of those. Doesnt take a whole day to access the starter motor either.
AnswerID: 442505

Follow Up By: Member - Noel K (NT) - Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:19

Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:19
Hey Muntoo,
Your mate might need to have it looked at, the one I drive, admittedly it has an exhaust and chip in it, goes like the clappers. Sluggish right down low yes, but once that turbo starts pumping it will certainly get up and boogy.

Towed my camper, about a tonn and a half, to Kalkaringi which is 7 hours from Darwin and its the fastest that's ever gone, I don't think the camper wheels touched the ground. Personally I thought it had enough grunt without the chip.

Passing road trains up here is a breeze and so much safer than in my 100 series.

Noel K.
FollowupID: 714603

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:32

Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:32
The V8 has so much grunt, gotta watch the pedal otherwise I do wheel stands. Yaho! the way to go Muntoo.
FollowupID: 714605

Reply By: Rod W - Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:12

Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:12
Don't mean to be pedantic but a 79 series is not a troopy its a cab/chassis/tray back.
AnswerID: 442531

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:15

Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:15
I have the 79 series Cab chassis extended and fitted with aluminium camper. Best mate has the mid range wagon. He is a builder and tows a 2.5 tonne trailer on a daily basis. He loves it. He traded his late model hilux in on the wagon and reckons it bleep s all over the lux. Pulling much better mileage about town than mine even towing (probably a more sedate driver ;-). More than happy with the amount of power he has.

From my viewpoint (and I’m a lot heavier than the troopy), it’s not a race car off the mark but then what do you want a Troopy or ute to do. It’s got plenty of grunt when it’s needed and I have no complaints. With the camper off, it goes like bleep out of a shanghai. Can’t make a comparison with the HDZ1 motor as it’s my first Toyota.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 442542

Reply By: hotfishez - Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 14:11

Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 14:11
I have a hdj100 chipped and 3" exhaust, a mate has a 4500v8 troopy, the v8 has a little more grunt and as far as fuel consumption they are much the same towing. the 100 is better when not towing by a fair bit. In my opinion, keep the 100. The only problem with mine is that it is the 4 speed auto, I am looking to upgrade to a 5 speed auto when I can find one at a good changeover price.
AnswerID: 442562

Reply By: feraldisco2 - Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 18:00

Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 18:00
I couldn't believe how sloppy the TDV8 Workmates and Troopies are in the steering - and I assume the utes are similar - a bit like steering the QEII... Gotta say I wasn't impressed with their responsiveness either (totally agree with comment above about Hilux superiority in this regard) although they're a good firetrail chugger at low revs. I'd keep the Cruiser and the comfort myself...
AnswerID: 442592

Follow Up By: Nige - Saturday, Jan 22, 2011 at 00:55

Saturday, Jan 22, 2011 at 00:55
Thanks for all the replies fellas - it's always good to hear what other people think; I haven't driven the V8 but our 100 series is definitely quicker and has more power down low since we had the exhaust and chip put in. There is only the two of us now and I didn't want to knock the inside around too much with camping gear, etc.. which is why I thought the troopie may be more practical. Could be better towing too which was another thing. A mate has driven troopies and reckons he prefers his 130 Landrover, better suspension etc.. probably end up keeping the 100... Cheers!
FollowupID: 714656

Sponsored Links