Inflatable Dinghy

Submitted: Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 20:06
ThreadID: 83805 Views:2191 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone

Looking at going to Exmouth later this year and taking the inflatable (3.3m Quicksilver) which fits neatly inside the Prado while travelling. Once in Exmouth we'll inflate it and then plan to carry it on the roof bars from spot to spot as the fishing gods move us. Question is, as we only have cross bars (rated to 50 kg I think) will the dinghy sink down when strapped on and touch the roof? Currently thinking of 'u' bolting one or more boards to the bars for the keel to rest on, maybe a 4" board either side and one in the middle. They would need to be strong enough to carry the weight.

Has any one any comments or alternative suggestions.

Many thanks

John & Helen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dublediff - Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 21:02

Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 21:02
If you keep it inflated to a tight consistency, it should not droop. I just did the same thing with a two man inflatable canoe. Make sure the straps are nice and thick and it shouldn't do too much stress to the material outer. Strap the front down to the bull bar and you should be able to maintain a reasonable speed.
AnswerID: 442608

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 23:27

Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 23:27
a sheet of marine ply, will keep the "stuff" falling off the boat on to the roof and is very strong for the size and weight ............. able to temp fasten some crates on as well just for the short runs and throw "smelly" stuff in then wash em out for the trip home for in the car ...
Yeh may not look "trendy" but is by far practicial ...
AnswerID: 442624

Reply By: Member - Angelo P (SA) - Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 23:34

Friday, Jan 21, 2011 at 23:34
I have travelled extensively with an inflatable 3.1m. When fully inflated the unit will not sink if it is anything like mine. Excellent choice. Make sure you tie it on. Trust me, an inflatable bouncing on the road is an awesome sight.
Angelo
AnswerID: 442625

Follow Up By: Ruffy-Dan - Saturday, Jan 22, 2011 at 09:19

Saturday, Jan 22, 2011 at 09:19
That sounds like the voice of experience speaking!

DAN
FollowupID: 714673

Sponsored Links