Gaffa suspention

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 16:56
ThreadID: 8383 Views:2164 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Has any one used this system on a campertrailer Gaffa suspention ( in the shop menu)

Designing a new camper Heaps of choises
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Allan - Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 23:41

Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 23:41
Rox, I have the Gaffa on my trailer. It is the 1500kg set up. Seems to travel OK and tows well. I note one side has a spacer between frame and stub axle to provide clearance for wheel/tyre. Looks central to trailer frame so I believe they could have been provided with a greater offset to increase clearance. Cheers
Allan
AnswerID: 36702

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:04

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:04
Allan, what brad trailer was it & how does it ride(smother or no diff) Have you ever had a camper with leef spring suspention?

I supose I am deciding on weather to add an extra $1000 to my trailer bill for better? suspention

Ps yove got a nice looking rig great colour.Designing a new camper Heaps of choises
FollowupID: 26605

Follow Up By: Member - Allan - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:22

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:22
Rox, This is my second camper trailer. First one had leaf springs but broke two springs when in the Kimberleys. Luckily I was able to get back safely. When I upgraded to later model vehicle it came with current trailer. Decided to sell old camper trailer & build up a new one. I have only just had new camper top fitted so havn't taken it on a big trip yet. Still to fit water tank & kitchen.
The trailer carries a full pallet of bricks (1 tonne) without any problems. If you are in Perth you are welcome to have a look and take it for a run to feel how it tows.
Cheers
Allan
FollowupID: 26607

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:50

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:50
Allan my no is 0414 929 611Designing a new camper Heaps of choises
FollowupID: 26608

Reply By: Member - Paul - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 21:17

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003 at 21:17
Rox
I have just returned from 6 months towing a Camper Trailer across the top. I also have plans to build a new trailer and would appreciate any ideas you may have.

I broke both sides of my leaf sus in the Cape and would not go leaf again. I was considering the other make, I thing its Atco?

If you have any ideas or would like to swap blue prints give me a yell.

Paul
AnswerID: 36916

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 00:31

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 00:31
Hi Paul, this will be My 2nd campertrailer, 1st was just off the shelf at a good price, but I added to it s/steel kitchen custom made, deep cycle battery to run fluros & fridge.

For round Oz trip, 7mths +,
This time I am adding tool box to house two batteries, gen set, battery charger & annex poles. I don't want to use 240vt for 4-7 days depends on temp, thats the reason for 200 amp hours(2 batteries) Water tank 65lt with presure flow pump($120) no up & down, plus extra 80 lts of water, plan to be self sufient up to 2 weeks, Boat rack (looking for a dingy & motor) love the water! 8' fully enclosed annex for those rainy days. I also will have the same tyres on trailer + camper 7.5 / 16 Skinnys Road grippers got 4 today trade ins of new 4wd for a good price + if the rims i see tomorrow are good another 3 so I'll have 8 all the same(2 spares)(+ tyre plyers) Also Adding brakes as I may be over 750 kgs filled up with H2o.
The canvas is easy it's the suspention is the big ??? Do I do it or not! when my first spring brakes(hope not) will I say I wis I had done .....
FollowupID: 26719

Reply By: Member - Bear - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:25

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:25
Rox
I have just had a further email from a mate who also reconds that you could not go wrong with the longer Landruiser Leaf Sus. Mainly because its easy to get the parts!!

After I broke the Sus the second time I put the trailer over a Weigh Bridge in Darwin only to find that it was upto 1.1 ton - I then upgraded the sus to 1.25t in Kununarra and had no further probs.

I think I will look into the larger (longer) landcruiser setup.

I am also making the trailer longer than normal and putting two ARB or similar plastic storage box's long ways, one on either side. Between these I will put 2 batteries, 9kg gas and also a washing machine bucket. The area in front on these items will be left for throwing in wet gear, dirty recovery gear, fire wood etc.

In front of the box's will only be the stone guard.

I am going to put the second spare under the trailer on landcruiser winch set up with 100lt stainless water tank behind the axil.

Apart from the 12v system with a battery management setup I will also be installing a car CD/Radio. And I recommend water inlet and outlets - what I do now is if in a park I attach water grade pipe to the tap and on the other end is a pressure hose (1metre is about $30.00) and then a garden hand gun/shower spray.

This means your can use their water under pressure for either cleaning or showering.
And if you have good water in your tank you can save it for later.

Also under the matteress I am instaling a large but shallow draw system for all our clothes. We have found that living out of a bag is a pain in the arse. These draws x 3 will be entered from outside when the camper is closed and from inside when opened. A forth draw will slide open over the kitchen for p[antry storage. The unit will be about 150mm in height, but overall the same size as a Bed.

Hope this helps
Paul (Bear)
AnswerID: 36987

Sponsored Links