Vic - Orbost - Cann River area looking for safe overnight free campsite

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 21:49
ThreadID: 83894 Views:9364 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Traveling melb to Narooma NSW this week with 21 ft van & wondering if anyone is aware of a good safe spot to overnight around Orbost/Cann River area? We were thinking maybe Bemm River Scenic Reserve or Thurra River rest area? Haven't been there before. Any ideas appreciated. Bill
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tim Owen - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 22:17

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 22:17
If you are looking for a free overnighter, then there is a rest area 100m or so off the highway a few km's east of Orbost (can't remember the name, but I think it is state forest, and there is a toilet/picnic shelter etc there). Some noise from highway but not too bad - fine in a van.

A better option if you have more time is to go down to Cape Conran coastal park. Beautiful.
AnswerID: 443032

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 21:33

Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 21:33
We stayed overnight in the rest area 20 kms east of Orbost last Saturday night and it was ok. Toilets were clean but there was a bit of highway (truck) noise and the level places suitable for vans were closest to the Highway.

Oh...and we also had a pretty noisy thunderstorm, lots of lightning and rain about midnight!

If you can make it to Genoa it is the pick of the two.

Cheers,

Heather G
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 715418

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 07:57

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 07:57
Do the coastal drive through Marlo, and stop at Cape Conran. By now most of the Xmas Holiday campers have left for home.
AnswerID: 443060

Reply By: Jeffie - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:29

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:29
Bill,
Have a look at Bellbird Hotel just 38k past Orbost.
Stayed there last year good clean grassed area.
And you can pop into the hotel for a beer or two if you like.
The ones you mentioned are pretty ordinary compared to Bellbird but OK if desperate.
If you can push on as far as Genoa there is a beauty just over the bridge on your left ,on the NSW side, it used to be a caravan park - its not in my CAW 4 book.
Good clean area for about 20 or so vans and there is a toilet block.
Should be quiet as its not right on the highway.

Jeff.
AnswerID: 443091

Follow Up By: Member - Bill v (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 17:54

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 17:54
Thanks Jeff - we are trying the Genoa location - thank you for help. Cape Conran will be for next time - thanks all. Bill & angela
FollowupID: 715185

Sponsored Links