Injector Cleaning Fuel Additives

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 22:28
ThreadID: 8392 Views:2512 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I used chemtech in the Diesel and am positive it work.

Mitsubishi service department recommend Fortran EFI additive and I was wondering is it was worth the effort and $$s.

What do y'all think?

RTA

Russell
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 22:32

Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 22:32
Bloke at BJ Diesel that did my injectors is very sceptical that any of them work at all..

I was using Nulon one and though it worked, but as he said, its the fact that you have spent the $ on it, and want it to work, in reality smoking the $20 would go further.
AnswerID: 36640

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 23:03

Saturday, Nov 08, 2003 at 23:03
My mechanic hooked up a bottle of some injector cleaning additive into the fuel line and ran the engine for a while on it. A week later the injector rail came out after the timing belt broke and major work was required. Anyway, I had the injectors looked at and the verdict was the cleaning exercise had done stuff all.I may be mad but I'm not crazy
Hooroo
Ray
AnswerID: 36647

Reply By: BJ42turbo - Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 11:09

Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 11:09
Yeah I would have to say I'm sceptical they do any good, but in the same breath I have used both the chemtech and one that you get from Toyota........Dazz
AnswerID: 36665

Reply By: Brett - Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 14:58

Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 14:58
I used a product made by W.R Grace or Catoleum or Afloc (same company different names)

It was called Fireprep and was designed for diesel engines.

I did overdoase a bit on the first application by about 4 times( it is very concentrarted) and could not believe the difference in performance. Don't know what it was or how it worked but it did make a difference to the engine power.

This was about 10 years ago and was only available in 20 ltr drums.

mmmmm .. might try and get hold of some more............
AnswerID: 36672

Reply By: howesy - Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 18:57

Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 18:57
These products are only effective against build ups of what they call algae which are organisms and dispersing to an extent water. Are they worth using, well I reckon they are however I was using Chemtech then 4Wd Monthly did a test and recommended Wynns EDT. It is initiall dearer to buy ($25) because it comes in a one litre bottle but in the long run it works out just as cheap as you only use 50 mls at a time. been using it for about a year with no problems seems to be OK. has to be ordered in at most spare parts.
Just an alternative anyway , maybe others have more experiences. Take it easy
AnswerID: 36681

Follow Up By: jules - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:00

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:00
We use a product called Flashlube - available from Don Kyatt - have used in our previous 2.7 turbo diesel - use about 20ml at a tank - every second tank at least - have been using in our new 2.7tdi - comapring 2 trips in our first 4wd - we felt much better economy with the Flashlube, our mechanic says we had a very clean system - and recommended we keep using the product - initially made for trucks, and know lots of truckies who use it in their deisels - good enough for us.
FollowupID: 26534

Sponsored Links