Honda genset problem

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 00:22
ThreadID: 8395 Views:2064 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have a Honda generator model EM300.
It runs ok at 240 volts unloaded. When a load is applied the volts drop to 180 and don't recover. The motor revs don't appear to change much when the load is applied.
I suspect the AVR is faulty but don't have any documentation to help me fault find.
I would love some assistance with this if anyone has any info.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brett - Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 10:05

Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 10:05
The avr is working because there is voltage present. Is this model AVR controlled or capacitor controlled??

Cheack no-load engine speed first and set to 52 to 53 Hz.

If the engine is running too slow and the alternator is AVR controlled the AVR may be working its butt off. Any further slight decrease in engine speed may be just too much for the AVR to keep up with.

AnswerID: 36662

Follow Up By: Bazmac - Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 20:56

Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 20:56
I have tried increasing revs and have even used a separate Hz meter to set revs, same result.
I have tried increasing revs after the load is applied but volts don't increase.
I don't know if it is AVR or capacitor controlled.
FollowupID: 26518

Follow Up By: Brett - Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 22:16

Sunday, Nov 09, 2003 at 22:16
It has been a little while since I have looked at one of these Hondas.

If it is AVR controlled there will be a small electronic circuit board somewhere, I have the feeling this model may have a board which has been encapsulated in resin and will have one or two miniture potentiometers (blue in colour I think). Adjusting one will increase volts and the other is most likley voltage stability.
If you dont find something like this near the generator end you should be able to easily identify the capacitor which could be similar in size to the cardboard tube that toilet rolls are wound onto.

Where are you..City??
FollowupID: 26527

Sponsored Links