Tablelands Track, Kimberley.

Submitted: Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 17:10
ThreadID: 83958 Views:5156 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, am hoping to hear from anyone who has travelled this track since 2008 regarding its condition, we plan to use it at the end of June this year to get over to Wolfe Creek from Moll Gorge. Permission has been given by the relevant authorities/leaseholders providing the track is not too wet around the bog holes near Bedford Downs. Am particularly interested in the recent state of the jump up coming down Teronis Gorge, we will be travelling in 2 vehicles both towing Off road Camper trailers. Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 17:31

Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 17:31
Good to hear they're giving permission again. About 9 years since I've done it, but Teronis gorge track meanders across the creek several times, and is quite rocky, so will test your hitched CT. We clonked the underside of the Nissan a couple of times crossing the creek.
Great trip, though. The only boggy bit we had was passing thru the Durack ranges towards Bedford Downs.
T'was all too quick, as we arrived at the gorge at dusk. No decent camping in the gorge as it's too narrow for any flat camping spots, really.Take your time and choose a spot either west, above the gorge or east, below the gorge, then take time to admire the gorge when passing.
Moll Gorge is also a stunning spot to camp. We took an inflatable boat about 5km up the river from there, portaging it across rocky sections. The crocs didn't seem to mind....
Gerry

AnswerID: 443347

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 18:05

Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 18:05
Hi Gerry, permission is a bit hit or miss, Sterling is OK at the Bedford Downs end, at Yulumbu it depends whether there is a funeral or mourning period. Mustering also may effect things. Have given Google Earth a hammering and we have a camp spot picked out by the river about 30 kms past Yulumbu, if we get that far from Moll Gorge, it looks like about 180 kms from Moll, and just to the West of Teronis Gorge, we'll see how we go. both C/T's have full articulating hitches and good clearance. Looking forward to Moll Gorge, we couldn't get in there in 2008 as it was booked, so I have it booked with Mount House for our stay.
We met some guys in Landrovers at Mornington in 2008 who said they were going through the Tablelands Track, I found their trip notes with a Google search sounds like they had a good trip. We'll see what the thread turns up for replies. Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 715399

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 20:45

Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 20:45
You'll love it!!
We went for a stroll thru the grass near Mt Bedford, and managed to pick up a few dozen (!) ticks. Tiny little buggers in the Kimberley, not like the easy-to-spot ones down here in the SW. Only found them when we saw one wandering across the laptop. Then came the realisation that we were infested! Luckily, none had really attached, they were still searching out the perfect spot on us. Removed about 2 dozen!
I recall we did the trip in 2 days from Mornington to Halls Creek. Should've spent longer.
BTW, there are some stunning cycads on the hillside as you pass thru the Durack Ranges (I get a bit gooey about cycads, sorry!)
Cheers,
Gerry

FollowupID: 715413

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 22:30

Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 22:30
Thanks Gerry, I'll make a mental note about the ticks in the long grass for the trips to the Kaazee, we are looking forward to having a look through this part of the Kimberley. Thanks again Gerry. Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 715423

Sponsored Links