Victorian Rego Papers

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 00:32
ThreadID: 83967 Views:4450 Replies:3 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Vic rego questions, with a vehicle that is currently registered in Vic do you have rego papers issued to you as an owner in Vic ?? Do you when selling your vehicle hand over rego papers signed by you as selling the vehicle and the new owner then drives away with the vehicle and rego papers ?? If a person from NSW was to buy your vehicle do you still hand over rego papers ??? Will explain why Im asking these questions when I get a reply from some one on here who lives in Vic and knows the rules and regulations in regards to registration of their vehicle and the selling /handover procedure. Here in NSW if the vehicle is currently registered the seller signs the back of the rego papers filling out the required info on the back and then hands the vehicle and rego papers over to the new owner who then goes to RTA and gets it transferred over into their name. The same for when someone from interstate buys a vehicle only difference is they hand in the say Vic plates the vehicle is blue slipped then if passes the vehicle is issued with NSW plates and cost you a heap of $$$ to do it. I know here in NSW the signed rego papers is as good as a receipt for purchasing the vehicle, you dont need a seperate receipt except when vehicle is out of rego. regards Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 09:36

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 09:36
If you are selling a vehicle to an interstate purchaser, the correct procedure is to remove the number plates & cancel the registration, for which you will get a pro-rata refund. The buyer then has a permit issued to take the vehicle back to his home State.
Most people don't do it that way!
Some sellers let the buyer take the vehicle home & post back the number plates.
The interstate buyer requires no transfer documents, just a purchase receipt with the full description of the vehicle & the sellers details.
There is no transfer form on the back of Victorian registration papers, it is a separate document.
AnswerID: 443408

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 10:32

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 10:32
Thanks Shaker, my sisters boss went to Melbourne for a mazda to buy for his step daughter, (he lives on central coast NSW), anyway my sister rings me and says he has to get the aircon done in the mazda (regas) and wanted to know if the price was ok for the regas as she needs one to, (hers is a suzuki) I asked her why the mazda needed a regas if only 12 months old, she said the bloke he bought the car off told her boss that the front bar had a tap and let the gas out the aircon (sounded suss to me), I said more then a tap if its let the gas out, sounds like condensor or some pipe work has been damaged, asked her why he flew all that way for such a popular car which are plentyfull here in Sydney, it was really cheap, Bells started ringing to me an I asked her to get the chassis number for me which her boss gave her. I did a Vic roads check !!!!!!!!! come up as been wriitten off. She then informs me he had no rego papers or proof of purchase from this bloke, (hence my question about it on here, wasnt sure of the procedures over there) Not sure now how the hell he is going to get rego for it here in NSW without any proof of purchase ??? Will see what happens from here ????????? Will let you know. Thanks for the info. Regards Steve
FollowupID: 715466

Follow Up By: cycadcenter - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 17:45

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 17:45
Geeez,

Wouldn't it have been easier to ask if you can register a car which has been written off.

Bruce
FollowupID: 715514

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 19:16

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 19:16
You can register them after an inspection, provided they have been declared a "repairable write-off".
It seems insurers would rather write them off, than have to deal with nit-picking owners.
FollowupID: 715525

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 19:46

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 19:46
""Geeez,

Wouldn't it have been easier to ask if you can register a car which has been written off.

Bruce""

the issue is he has no proof of purchase !!!! Regards Steve
FollowupID: 715527

Follow Up By: Member - John B2 (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 20:13

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 20:13
Steve,

This is how you do it in Victoria taken from Vicroads website

A person who buys a registered vehicle is required to:

complete the vehicle registration transfer form with the seller
submit to VicRoads within 14 days of the sale the completed transfer form, RWC and fees
Before purchasing a vehicle, buyers are advised to contact VicRoads Vehicle Securities Register on 13 11 71 to check the vehicle's registration details, if there is any finance recorded against the vehicle and that the vehicle is not reported as stolen. To perform this check you must supply the registration number, engine number and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) (chassis or frame number if no VIN). It is advised that these details be obtained directly from the vehicle.

Buyers should also consider purchasing a Vehicle Information Package (VIP) prior to purchase. A VIP is a package of information issued by VicRoads that provides vehicle buyers with a detailed record about any Victorian registered vehicle (excluding private information), giving potential buyers peace of mind and enabling them to make an informed purchase decision. A VIP can be purchased over the phone on 13 11 71 or at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. Please see VIP fees.

We do not use the rego papers here we use a separate transfer form where the seller and buyer each get a copy to make sure the transfer occurs.

In the old days we signed the back of the rego papers, but a lot of people did not transfer the vehicle into their name leaving the seller liable to fines.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
John

FollowupID: 715531

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 21:17

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 21:17
That is assuming both seller & buyer are Victorian residents.
It is as I said earlier if the buyer is from interstate.
FollowupID: 715534

Reply By: Madfisher - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 10:23

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 10:23
Steve, I brought the Jack in Vic. It had buggar all rego , so drove it home, got a blue slip , took blue and green slip and vic rego plates to rta and that was it. The rta said they would send plates back to Vic. It only had a couple of days of Vic rego left anyway so dis not worry about claiming it back.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 443414

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 10:28

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 10:28
I bought a vehicle in Vic late last year, filled out the Vic paperwork to transfer into my name with a Vic address. Had no problem with getting comp insurance doing that. Travelled around for a couple of weeks back to NSW and then decided to swap to NSW.
Just got a blue slip, produced the Vic rego papers and a written receiptfor the vehicle, the RTA registered in NSW and gave me a receipt for handing the Vic plates in. There was only a few weeks left on the Vic rego so no refund.
AnswerID: 443415

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:01

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:01
Hi Peter, his problem is he has no rego papers and no proof of purchase ?? Regards Steve
FollowupID: 715469

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:15

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:15
hi
i would not touch the above said vehicle with a forky stick
it smells of corruption sounds like a backyard rebirth job on a written off vehicle
some people are so gullable when it comes to trying to save dollars
fools and there money are soon parted
cheers
FollowupID: 715472

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 12:31

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 12:31
His follow up wasn't there when I wrote my reply, concur with everyone else, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!
FollowupID: 715485

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 15:20

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 15:20
Sounds like a waste of money to me, transferring it for 2 weeks, how much was the transfer fee & stamp duty?
FollowupID: 715499

Sponsored Links