airconditioning

HI EVERY ONE

just wondered if any of you have fitted a split system air condtioner to their caravan and what

the performance is like compared to the roof mounted as my old roof one is

getting tired and noisy

Thanks Mi missus mi mad dog an me
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hazo - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 16:39

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 16:39
Whilst travelling I have spoken to lots of people with domestic splits in their van and not one has had a negative remark.

Quieter more efficient are the words usually used. And modern Inverter technology not old dinosaur technology as used by the standard caravan A/C supplier.

You will have the "naysayers" and "doomsday" brigade say theres no warranty in a caravan etc. but I've yet to find anyone who had has one, that is fitted correctly, that the unit has died an early death!

And anyway at a third of the price your are well ahead anyway.

I have a 2 year old Aircommand Ibis on my current van and its a piece of bleep
Its noisy and impossible to sleep with it on, and when the compressor cycles its like someone hitting the roof with the flat of their hand!
Also as the temp gets up around 40c it struggles to cope.

I've had it checked out had new rubber mounts etc. and its still as bad, overpriced rubbish.

I'm currently looking at fitting a split in and throwing the Ibis out.
AnswerID: 443441

Follow Up By: Member - warren h (SA) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 17:16

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 17:16
Ditto for the Dometic, load of crap, when its running sounds like a hurricane inside the van, broken down 3 times, Caravan roof mount air conditioners are over priced garbage and in 2011 we should be able to purchase something a bit better than this rubbish especially with the technical knowledge now avaliable.

I now use 2 fans 20 dollars each, and quiet. I have never been more disapointed in a product than my Dometic roof mount air comditioner!
FollowupID: 715508

Reply By: Member - notso - Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 17:39

Saturday, Jan 29, 2011 at 17:39
Thanks HAZO and Warren H for your reply
cannot see the sense in paying all that cash for something that wont do the job
looks like I'll be sheeting up the hole in roof and getting a split system

cheers

mi missus mi mad dog and me
AnswerID: 443454

Reply By: Batt's - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:21

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:21
G'day we had a spit system in our 1986 jayco pop top 6yrs ago when we were in perth its reverse cycle from good guys $450 I took the two spare wheels off the rear bar put them under the main bed welded 2 pieces of c channel on rear bar for the a/c unit to bolt to had a cover built $150 to slip over with velcro strips when not running and also used a tie down ratchet as well because the legs are thin steel don't overtighten the local van dealer took out the back window built a timber support frame to suit the pattern of the a/c head unit then installed it about $500 super quiet great at 41 deg in kununurra have sold it since but new owner says it still works a treat .also even though the roof is insulated I still painted it with insulating paint
AnswerID: 443648

Reply By: Member - Jim K (QLD) - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 13:46

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 13:46
Just got a new Samsung 1HP split fitted to my Van. Used it on a 4 day try out trip Extremely pleased very quite. Cools the Van down very quickly and being inverter type is very energy efficient.
Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 443659

Follow Up By: Member - notso - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 19:18

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 19:18
Thanks Batts and JimK

will definetly be getting a split now the old rattler has given up ghost all together now cheers

mi misses me mad dog n me
FollowupID: 716014

Sponsored Links