air valley (red woods) camping ground otway ranges closure, why.

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 17:10
ThreadID: 84000 Views:3431 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
we have just come back from a weekend in the Otway Ranges and while there noticed that the air valley camping ground at Red Woods has been closed and has been made imposible to enter the area with the addition of dirt mounds dumped by trucks.
can any one shed any light on this, as to why the closure has happened.

PS. the air crossing camp ground is still open to campers.

kind regards andrew.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 18:34

Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 18:34
Hi Andrew,
I have only been to the Otway Fly so I don't know the camping grounds you speak of but would the closure have something to do with the Parks services attitude of closing down areas to restrict campers and discourage people from using their parks.
Happens here in NSW a bloody lot. We call our guys the National Parks and Bollard Service. Seems if you are not young and very fit you are not allowed into their parks. You might enjoy yourself too much.

May have something to do with the goons leaving their rubbish around instead of taking it out with them.

Just come back from Copeton Dam in NSW hear Inverell and some idiots camping for a couple of days around Australia Day in that park had a fire and chucked their stubbies into the fire, and several other things while there and just left them there. Absolutely disgusting. There is a garbage service too. Can't fathom some people.

Regards, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 443559

Follow Up By: Member - Ups and Downs - Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 20:42

Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 20:42
Bruce,

Maybe I'm wrong but I have a feeling that closures and restrictions on the people who do the right thing, rather than throwing the book at those who do wrong, only creates more wrongdoers.

Making it more difficult seems to be their reason for existence, I agree. Does that lead to some of us becoming fed up, and anti-social in our behaviour??

Paul
FollowupID: 715654

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 09:21

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 09:21
Hi Paul,
I agree that the policies of the National Parks and Wildfire Service can be very frustrating. I speak as a user and a neighbor of that organisation.

However at Copeton Dam near Inverell NSW there is over 100 acres of usable campsites with very few restriction, even with regard to camp fires, so there is no excuse for the inconsiderate to do what they do.( with regard to frustration at restrictive policies).

I am old school whereby I believe that the best policy is to lead by example.

I am the first to agree that it does not always work as there seems to be an ever growing lack of consideration of others in some of the younger generations.
I guess you could say that at 65 I am a just a grumpy old man. LOL.

I can see how some park staff would get frustrated and angry at people chucking bottles into a fire then driving off and leaving their mess behind but that does not mean the rest of us should have to suffer the consequences yet it often does mean that.
Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 715802

Reply By: Member - TJ (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 21:16

Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 21:16
Hi Andy, if you are after a factual an non-emotive answer Parks Victoria would be the best place to start with this question. Could be for a very valid reason and possibly temporary. TJ..
AnswerID: 443574

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 21:31

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 21:31
Andrew
I called in there a couple of weeks ago myself and found as you have said.Many years ago I used to camp there all the time, camped there a couple years back and it was a disgrace, rubbish and human deposits all around the river bank and the drop toilet was wrecked. So can see why parks have closed it down due to morons. I actually made a post about it a few weeks back.
I also camped at Aire Crossing, nice spot when down there

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 443726

Reply By: OREJAP - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 10:00

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 10:00
Hi Andy, Yet another park closed probably due to idiots who mess things up for others. Some people complain about CCTV, security cameras & the like. People like me who respect others feelings & our great country have nothing to fear from "Big brother" is watching. It would be tremendous if all parks,camping areas are monitored the more "Offenders" punished the better in my opinion. The fines collected would pay for the cameras & film!!! Hoon legislation...impound their cars & sell them. I have no hesitation in taking numbers of vehicles when hoons destroy our country & if they decide to destroy Cattlemen's huts,drop toilets or the like I dob them into the authorities. A little bit of video is always helpful especially when you zero in on the vehicle or person causing the damage. I was asked by an idiot one camping trip "Are you writing down our rego's?" I told him I was collecting data on what type & make of vehicle people use to go camping & it will be published in a few mths in a certain magazine!!! The Parks people must get so peeded off constantly repairing damage to items constructed by them. But I also see it on the Govt side of thing too. Making State Forests & Parks National....more funding & more control. Here is the maths. Let's say 100km of Park....maybe 1-5 Rangers & a few vehicles to maintain & patrol it. The Govt then narrows it down to 30 sq Km. One Ranger & one vehicle. Block off the tracks so maintenance is not an issue less expenditure the $$$ saved on upkeep to the Parks can be spent else where propping something that's losing money up. There's my rant for the day.
AnswerID: 443777

Follow Up By: andy mitchell - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 10:31

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 10:31
thanks every one for you're reply's i think you are right about about the reasons for the closure i have contacted parks Victoria and their reply was, as below.

Hello Andrew

Thank you for your email.

Camping is no longer available at the Redwoods due to the proximity of the Aire River and associated environmental concerns. This is a permanent closure in line with the Management Plan for the Otway area.

The plan is available on our websitehttp://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources07/07_2112.pdf

Our Information Centre can be contacted ph. 13 1963 should you require further assistance.

Kind regards

Alison Dods

Information Officer

Parks Victoria

info@parks.vic.gov.au

Level 10, 535 Bourke St

Melbourne VIC 3000

13 1963

Healthy Parks Healthy People

kind regards andy

FollowupID: 715814

Sponsored Links