Suspension Feedback

Coromal Excel 535 Pop top/2007 Toyota Prado set up?

My wife and I are setting off on a much belated second tour of W.A. I have been giving considerable thought to the set up of my Dual Axle Pop Top, recently while cruising back to Melb on a recent very very wet day, the car a Prado did a degree's sideways slide about 1/2 a metre this was on a perfectly flat road, going straight ahead, albeit in very heavy rain. luckily all was ok, but it scared the s... out of me. In trying to work out why, I have considered, that my tyres were on there last 5,000km. Plus aqua planing due to this and weight of van being on the back tyres forcing front end/tyres up a tiny bit higher than they should be..To alleviate this am considering apart from new tyres, a set of Pump up Shocker inserts in the back coil springs to even things out, Any advice please PS the Prado's in excellent nick otherwise. PS: not leaving till Mid/Late March 2011
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick M (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 21:19

Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 21:19
BTW, having said I need new Tyres, Any opinions on durability etc of the Cooper 4WD Tyres as a replacement for my originally fitted Toyota Dunlops AT20's? I am also considering other brands.
AnswerID: 443575

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 22:48

Sunday, Jan 30, 2011 at 22:48
If you havent already got one a Weight Distributing Hitch is THE ONLY WAY to get weight back onto the front wheels.

Airbags only lift what is above them and dont and cant return weight forward.
Only the WDH can do that.

Once you fit it you will never be without it. Makes for much nicer handling and weight distribution.

You could as well get the van weighed and check the towball weight.

Could be away up there and contributing to the problem.

AnswerID: 443592

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 07:19

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 07:19
Hi Macka. I have a 120 series Prado as well and have experienced a similar feeling in wet weather whilst towing. I have a WDH fitted. My tyres had about 4mm tread depth left on them and I'm sure that contributed. I was on the Sturt highway which has shallow concave tracks in places from the amount of heavy vehicles traversing it, this allowed the water to pool and create the aquaplane effect the driver feels. I dont think the AT20's are the best tyre for grip at any time, especially when worn but the main thing I did was slow down and try to keep to the left as far as possible. Cheers,Bob

AnswerID: 443616

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 18:20

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 18:20
And when I got home, put new tyres on. Got a set of new traded in Yokohama's for a $1000 so grabbed them. Haven't been towing in the wet yet to form an opinion. Bob

FollowupID: 715754

Reply By: Member - Mick M (VIC) - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 21:16

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 21:16
Thanks for the heads up on tyres. But am looking for an opinion on Cooper tyres?

Regards Mick.
AnswerID: 443723

Sponsored Links