cutting old dippled type caravan windows

Submitted: Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 16:24
ThreadID: 84022 Views:2274 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi, i know this is a bit off the subject but we are putting a window household type air conditioner into our older van, we are thinking of putting it in the front window, but our front window is that dimpled or frosted type glass and we are not sure of the best way to cut this type of glass, would a normal glass cutter do the job?, has anyone done this job before, the van windows are the 2 full lenth type, one above the other and go nearly the full width of the van, so we are thinking of cutting the glass just enough for the air con and still keeping the rest of the window for extra light and no the van doesn't go out on the road, she is left at on of our favourate spots and pulled on site when needed so we wont be upsetting any of the weights for towing.
i thought i would ask here as we have had so much help in the past from this site so thought it was worth picking your brains again.
thanks chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AGNI4x4 - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 16:44

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 16:44
Chris just an idea here .. I'd probably pull the old glass out and have a piece cut by glazier to fit your aircon. Then if ever you want to remove you still have the standard glass to refit back to standard.
Cheers
AnswerID: 443680

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 18:05

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 18:05
seriously consider fitting a domestic split system rather than the window rattler, they are much more efficient, quieter and won't turn the van into a buzz box.
If you can get an inverter model even better as they are even more efficient.
Then you only need to make a small hole in either the floor or wall to run the piping and electricals.
The a/c place on the north coast where the son works fits them into vans all the time and they work really well.
AnswerID: 443690

Follow Up By: gonebush SA - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 22:16

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 22:16
we did really think of this and was offered a really cheap brand new window type air con (and it was totally legal), it is very quiet to run, and where our van is i don't think it would get used heaps just nice to have for those really hot days
chris.
FollowupID: 715782

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 18:58

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 18:58
Yes a far better idea as glass is not meant to support the weight of an aircon.

Its ok in a house window but it doesnt get rattled all over the place.

One decent pothole may see the lot on the road.

If you must do it block the window in and make it into a wall and then mount it.

Remember stuff getting vibrated on a van can weigh up to 7 times its weight in some situations.

AnswerID: 443700

Follow Up By: gonebush SA - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 22:11

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 22:11
hi, our van does not go out on the road, this van stays at one of our favourite parks in their storage area and just gets towed on to the site when needed and, i'm sorry but there must be mixed communications because we are not letting the glass to support the air con, there are 2 windows that run across the front of our van, each one is about 8inches high, one above the other, we want to shorten the length of the windows so we can put the air con in on one side and the window cut up to where the air con now sits.
chris
FollowupID: 715781

Reply By: taswegian - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 10:37

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 10:37
G'day,

Old glass that has been subjected to sun light is near impossible to cut by hand, some glaziers can do it using a high pressure water cutter.

Cheers, Tassie.
AnswerID: 443787

Sponsored Links