Best free camping guide

Submitted: Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 20:29
ThreadID: 84030 Views:3646 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

What is considered the besr guide on free camping/caravanning sites. We have a large van heading around Oz.

Thanks,
Ant
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 20:41

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 20:41
Camps 5

AnswerID: 443712

Reply By: time waster - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 20:45

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 20:45
Camps 6 snaps being released next month, we have camps 4 and find its great when looking for an over nighter, can be busy in some places as a lot of travellers have the book but also saves a lot of money.

Christian
AnswerID: 443713

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 20:53

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 20:53
There's a Free Camp search on this site that could be useful.

I have found the "Camps 4 and 5" good, but as everyone has them, many of the places in there fill quickly, causing you to have to find your own anyway.

Jack

The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 443716

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 21:01

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 21:01
As per Jack's message here is a link to the Free Camps Search system. We have just been adding thousands of commercial and free camps, caravan parks and other data to this system so check it out. Over 2000 Free camps available for display and download/print.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 715772

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 21:00

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 21:00
Hi Ant

Camps Australia Wide is the most popular, and it also has low cost (such as community run and national parks) campgrounds, as well as lower cost caravan parks. In Camps 5 top price for this last category was $22 per night for two powered. Allowing for inflation, we paid $23 at one or two of these, however at this price and from those listed, we found some of the best caravan parks we have been to; not ones with all the family holiday trimmings we don't need, but very well appointed and run caravan parks.

For WA and NT Jan Holland's series Priceless Campsites and Rest Areas is far more comprehensive than Camps Australia Wide, and also includes some of the best touring tips for trip planning. They are a few years old, so if you get there and find a no camping sign - move on.

We got all of the above through the ExplorOz Bookshop.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 443719

Follow Up By: Ray - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 08:20

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 08:20
If you see a No Champing sign. Take it down and deign all knowledge of it
FollowupID: 715799

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 11:24

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 11:24
Hi MH

We have an old Camps 2 and found it not what we wanted. We don't tow a caravan or trailer and avoid caravan parks if possible unless necessity dictates and good shower and clothes washed. More the off road, back of beyond type of camping. I haven't got it in front of me but I believe it did not even include anything at Mitchell Falls or Mount Hart. We didn't use it once.

What is number 5 like for the camper? ie the non van or trailer user. Maybe 6 will be okay for us.

Phil
FollowupID: 715823

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 13:46

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 13:46
Hi Phil

We started with Camps 3, and each subsequent edition has become far more comprehensive, and Camps 5 covers most regions, including the Kimberley. They don't list as camp grounds places like the Wells along the Canning Stock Route or the popular Jupiter Well campground on the Gary Junction, but the places are on the Hema maps they use in the book. Finding a nice remote spot in these areas is easy anyway.

It is a book for the average traveller not the "adventure tracks" such as the CSR and the Beadell tracks, but that may come. We only use it as a back up if we can't find anything half decent ourselves, which does take off the stress of looking for a site. We have used it and gone to nice places well away from the highway, after passing all the motorhomes lined up against the highway in a popular rest area where we wouldn't stop in a fit, and sometimes had our piece of paradise to ourselves. These are places we would not have found ourselves.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 715838

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 14:02

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 14:02
That is a very good answer. I did not want the book to be canned. I believe for the "non remote"laces it is definitely worth putting in the kit.

But as you have guessed we are after places that are a little more adventurous.

Its 38 outside in Canberra. The problem is that it doesn't even give you time to peg the clothes on the line before they are dry. No wonder the evaporative coolers work well here. I think its drier than Rabbit Flat.

Much appreciated and have a good day.

Lets pray that the cyclone, Yasi, over QLD is not as bad as predicted.

Phil
FollowupID: 715841

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 21:29

Monday, Jan 31, 2011 at 21:29
Whatever Camping Guide you decide on....make sure you know how to enter GPS coordinates into your GPS. We found that sometimes the directions to various locations were not easy to follow, especially in areas you are not familiar with. However by figuring out how to enter coordinates we hit the bulls eye every time. Camps 5 etc now supply these for many sites.
AnswerID: 443725

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 10:36

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 10:36
I have generally found the Camps series (I have #5 currently ) to be sort of OK, but often find that expectation and reality can vary greatly for many pre chosen sites, on your arrival. You have to bear in mind that everyone has different opinions, and make up your own mind when you arrive on site, and be prepared to move on to an alternative.

I think if we can all provide as much feedback/input for the Camp Frees in the ExplorOz Australia-wide Places database, it can become a very up to date and useful tool. It's ours, and it's free.

Fred
AnswerID: 443786

Sponsored Links