Thumper vs Flyer vs Battery Box

I realise that variations of this topic have been done to death, but maybe I'm just dense and so still have some questions. FWIW I think I've read every topic on the forum with "Thumper" mentioned, so please don't tell me to use the search feature.

I've got a Kia Grand Carnival which I drive around with the Waeco in it. We do take it camping (i.e. tent in a camp ground or caravan park - not roughing it) my main use at the moment is simply for taking groceries home and transporting various liquid refreshments....

A little background - and a rant/whinge...

I spoke to Waeco, looked on their website and they recommended the RAPS 36 battery pack. Reasonable cost and with no room anywhere in this bus for a dual battery setup went with that.

They also suggested getting their RAPS 12 unit to run the thing. Got that wired in, ran the fridge via the battery plugged into the new socket and found that the battery was constantly running flat - even when it was only running with the car on!

Rang Waeco and was advised that the RAPS 36 would only charge about 2A via the inbuilt charger/cig socket connector. Real useful I must say....

So on to my question.

I'm looking now at either a 75A Thumper, or a 75A battery in either a Flyer or standard battery box.

I think I have the Thumper down pat, but am not sure of what the Flyer (at $400) offers over a standard battery box (at say $75 as also sold by Sidewinder). It looks like the Flyer has an inbuilt isolator but with Sidewinder also selling an isolator for $80 I can't see why the Flyer costs so much??

As a side question, I know you can jump start from the Thumper, but can you jump start from a 'normal" AGM battery (i.e. as I would fit into a Flyer/battery box) using jumper cables?

Thanks for any help,
Davo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 08:52

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 08:52
tonydav
From some one who knows very little about vehicle electrics.
We have a deep cycle second battery in in our cruiser under the bonnet, you say you don't have room for one under yours.
Is there any reason why you couldn't put a deep cycle battery in a box in the back of your Kia and then wire the fridge to it.
Remove the battery when not wanted.
Just a thought.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 443762

Follow Up By: tonydav - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 09:02

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 09:02
Definitely no room under the bonnet.

But not sure on which way to go (i.e. Thumper vs Flyer vs Battery box).
FollowupID: 715800

Reply By: Member - Bruce T (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 09:21

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 09:21
Davo,

We have a Thumper wired into the back of our Prado as there was not enough room under the bonnet for the size auxiliary battery we wanted. It takes up room, but so far we are happy with it. Ours is a 105AH. We wanted something to mainly run our fridge and that could cope with beng out bush for a few days.

Cheers,
Bruce and Di
AnswerID: 443769

Reply By: chisel - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 10:15

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 10:15
The flyer also comes with some cable (which isn't cheap) and a few extra bits over a normal battery box. It's also a bit larger, I think, and sturdier with a large strap for lifting the whole thing, battery included.
I have one - but have since moved the battery and isolator under the bonnet.
I do agree the flyer seems too expensive when compared with the parts that make one up. I guess you're paying for the convenience of having it already connected for you.

If you are always near power when camping, and don't need to run the fridge for hours while in the car and stopped, then you might get away with running it off the main car battery. But you'll have to bypass the ignition so the outlet in the back of the car is permanently on.

Perhaps, since you already have the RAPS 36, you can just upgrade the wiring in the vehicle so that it will charge at 10-20A.
AnswerID: 443782

Follow Up By: tonydav - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 11:08

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 11:08
Re the Waeco - it's not the wiring that's the problem as the RAPS12 is their wiring solution. It's the inbuilt charger in the battery pack itself. Waeco's only solution was to buy a 12V to 12V battery charger - at a couple of hundred dollars. (Or I suppose an invertor plus charger). Really not happy with them. I charge the Waeco battery for picnics etc from the 240V battery charger at home but not really handy if I need to use it without planning.

I've sent an e-mail to sidewinder asking for the exact differences.

As a matter of interest how well does the flyer fit together? I had a battery box a few years ago and it was held together by strap and was hardly what I'd call professional. I imagine the flyer's a few degrees past this!
FollowupID: 715820

Follow Up By: tonydav - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 12:11

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 12:11
Well so much for that idea. My responses from Sidewinder were:

>The FLYER is a dual battery system and the box is a box.

>The FLYER has about $200 extra parts + 2 hours labour in it.

I quizzed Derek for some more info re the parts and got this response:

> It is fitted with this kit.

> http://www.sidewinder.com.au/page123.html

Which really didn't help. So now I'm starting to think I should go the Thumper way. Will definitely cost me more but they've been very helpful, even ringing me re any questions I've had. After the Waeco experience I want as much info as possible and really value good support.

FollowupID: 715828

Follow Up By: chisel - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 14:35

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 14:35
Perhaps I shouldn't say it is "too expensive". $200 of "stuff" + 2 hrs labour would seem about right to me after considering the cable/connector costs, making $395 more reasonable.
It's possible to do it yourself but you're probably unlikely to end up with as neat a solution.
FollowupID: 715844

Follow Up By: CodMaster - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 22:27

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 22:27
At the end of the day, it's up to you as the customer to determine whether or not you are willing to buy it at the price that was set. Let's not forget, Derek runs a business, not a charity - making it inappropriate for a customer to ask about a sellers margins. I've had similar replies by him. They may seem condescending, but when I thought about it, he helps a LOT of people (including myself) on various forums as well as replies to who knows how many emails everyday. There's only so much time in a single day. Cut the man some slack...
FollowupID: 715927

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 13:38

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 13:38
Yes, the FLYER is a complete dual battery system complete with isolator, plugs, cables, breaker and fuses. Just add a battery.

AnswerID: 443802

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 13:49

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 13:49
I would recommend you use the mounting tray to secure the unit.

This tray can be used with the BLACK battery box, the plain battery box which is just a box without the 2 hours labour and extra parts used to make the FLYER.

Note: I would recommend you go for a 120ah AGM battery as these boxes will easily hold them and your fridge will run longer and the battery will last longer from not being as deeply discharged.

You you have specific questions please ask, I don't think it appropriate to ask a manufacturer to explain how he makes up the price of a product as you have in your email.

FollowupID: 715839

Follow Up By: tonydav - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 16:47

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 16:47
I find this all very frustrating for a number of reasons.

My initial e-mail to you was:

>I’m looking at a “portable” dual battery system (my car won’t fit a dual battery under the bonnet) and was looking at both your Flyer ($400) and your standard battery box ($80). Can you please explain the differences between them? I'm assuming they’re fairly substantial but it’s not obvious to me from the info on the website.

You replied with 2 lines making me seem like an idiot for not knowing what the difference between a dual battery system and a box.

>The FLYER is a dual battery system and the box is a box.
>The FLYER has about $200 extra parts + 2 hours labour in it.

I then requested clarification

>Any chance of a little more info.
I.e. what are the $200 extra parts and what is involved in the labour.
I don’t mind spending the extra money but as I can’t just drop in and look at both I need your help to understand.

and was pointed to a page with 3 products on it ranging in price from $120 to $195.

http://www.sidewinder.com.au/page123.html

Then your follow up post here - which surely took more effort than simply answering my questions - shows the info on your website, and then further advises it's not appropriate to ask what's in a product.

I was simply after information to help me make an informed decision. In my business (IT) I often get asked by *potential clients* to explain why something costs more - it's often obvious to me but not obvious to the *potential client*. In this case I would have said something along the lines of:

* Battery box - better quality - heavy duty
* Battery isolator
* Cable to run from battery to box
* Anderson connections
* Volt meter
* Amp meter

Note I'm only assuming the above as to date I still haven't had my questions answered by Sidewinder. Some of the above may not be included and there may be a heap of other differences to the $80 battery box.

I doubt I'll ever find out as I've gone from being a *potential client* (and to be honest a very *likely client* as I feel the Flyer is better value than the Thumpers from what I've seen) to an *unlikely client* as I hate to be made to feel like an idiot in a public forum.

Tony
FollowupID: 715871

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 17:43

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 17:43
Tony

Our listings are very descriptive and list all features and parts excluding the 2 hours labour at approx $120.00

Included in the price is 12 months warranty.

I can't tell you anymore than is listed except the one is black, we use the same tool when they are made.

Note: Our charge cable is made using 10mm2 cable and our isolator is an automatic voltage sensing 120A isolator and protects the main battery. Many other systems use an ignition activated relay and thin cables, both of which are a problem. 1) Joining the batteries without the engine running could drain the main battery. 2) The cables I have seen supplied with the other systems are 6mm auto cable (4.58mm2) and the voltage drop over distance will cause the battery to charge very slowly and not very efficiently.

We sell 100's of these and have never needed to please explain our price. "I.e. what are the $200 extra parts and what is involved in the labour."

Regards

Derek from ABR - SIDEWINDER
FollowupID: 715879

Reply By: Member - Des - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 14:14

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 14:14
We have two of the Waeco RAPS 36 packs and the Waeco RAPS 12 wiring in our Prado. We run a Waeco CF-40 fridge. I haven't had the same experience as you that the battery goes flat even when the car is running. In fact generally I find that after a couple of hours on the hwy the battery has more charge than when we started, even on a hot day with the fridge running.

If camping in one spot for a few days, an hour or two's driving will generally charge the power pack up reasonably well. I wasn't aware of the 2 amp capacity of the RAPS 12; it seems to provide more than that.

I am no auto elec, but is it possible that there is some other problem in your electrics? E.g., how much charge is the alternator putting out? Could there be a short somewhere? Could other accessories be draining power? Might be worth getting someone to check.

We also have a 48A/hr Thumper unit with jump start facility. It was expensive, but very high quality. It also charges reasonably well from the RAPS 12. (Because we already had the RAPS 12 we didn't need to install the wiring that comes with it.) You would be safe with one of them, provided there isn't some other problem in your wiring.

Cheers,
Des

AnswerID: 443806

Follow Up By: tonydav - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 16:36

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 16:36
Des, you could quite possibly be right. I've had some other issues with the wiring performed by the auto-electrician and maybe this is part of the problem. The funny thing if it wasn't for Waeco saying that the RAPS36 will only charge at 2A I would have chased the auto-elec already.

Having said that, I think I'll give him a call. The RAPS12 was supposed to be wired to the battery but when I look under the bonnet I can't find any connection to the battery. Maybe he's wired it in somewhere else - a shortcut.
FollowupID: 715869

Follow Up By: bjgard - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 18:34

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 18:34
Tony,
I had similar problems with a RAPS 36.

Mine wouldn't charge and the "battery" went flat very quickly.

It appears that it has 2 x 18ah cells in parrel. With mine the repairer said that there was a dry joint between the 2 Cells . One was be charged and the other had the load connected. So 1 cell was pretty well charged all the time but couldn't supply the load and the other was discharged. A quick clean and solder the offending joint problem was solved.

My RAPS 36 is in the back of a 2002 Pathfinder and is charged by the standard power outlet in the back of the front seat armrest. My fridge a 45 liitre Waeco will last 36 hours before the low voltage sensor in the frige cuts supply. A couple of hours driving the car with fridge connected the RAPS 36 is back uo to 12.8 volts.

All work wqas carried out under warranty from Waeco

Barry G
FollowupID: 715883

Follow Up By: Member - Des - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 19:04

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 19:04
The Waeco RAPS 12 wiring kit uses 6mm cable. Derek is saying that his kit uses 10mm cable. I haven't got the Thumper wiring specifications to hand, but I am pretty sure that it is more than 6mm. While Barry's experience with standard auto cabling, and mine with the RAPS 12, suggests that basic wiring is enough for a usable supply to a smallish capacity battery like the RAPS 36, if you are looking at charging a much larger battery you would probably want more substantial wiring. In other words, whether you go with Thumper or Sidewinder, start again using their wiring (installed by a decent auto elec).

Incidentally, in one of your posts above you say that you want a "portable" dual battery system. This might be pretty obvious, but unless you are a Bulgarian weightlifter on a daily diet of steroids, you might not find a 100+Amp/h battery box very portable. (That is a big advantage of the smaller units.)
Cheers,
Des
FollowupID: 715890

Reply By: Member - warren h (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 16:25

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 16:25
Hi Davo,

I have a 75A thumper in the back of the 80series, runs my 60 litre Engel, I think they are a quality battery, a tree branch went through the back window of the cruiser, in a severe wind storm, it also punched a hole in the side of the thumper, it has not mised a beat, still holding full charge and running the engel.

I have jumped started so many different people with it and overall am very impressed, although as mentioned else where it is not cheap, but it does come with a 40amp charging kit, and jumper leads.

Hope this has been of some help,

All the best Warren.
AnswerID: 443820

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 18:48

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 18:48
Davo,

I have both mate and they are both good devices.

My Flyer has a 100Ah Remco inside and I use this as my main auxiliary battery pack.
With this battery installed it is "bloody heavy" and as such I do not use it as a portable system.

I also have a 75Ah Thumper and have had this for around 6 years now and still going strong. The weight of this unit is sufficiently "light" to use as a truly portable system.
This is the baby I use with the tent when resident at camp, where I remove the fridge from the vehicle. Its jump start capability is a bonus, but as the starting battery is isolated from both the Flyer and Thumper, I have not had to use this feature yet.

The one difference with the Thumper over the Flyer, is the availability of multiple 12 volt outlets, if you need them.
The Flyer has one cigarette style outlet and a 50a Anderson outlet if required.
The Thumper has four outlets in the 75Ah model, three merit style sockets and one cigarette style socket.
I quite often have the fridge and two fluros connected, plus I plug the solar panel into another socket, so the four outlets are great.
I guess it would be possible to have a multi-outlet accessory plugged into the Flyer, but the convenience of 4 ports already on the Thumper give it instant flexibility.

The Flyer with a lighter battery (or optional battery packs) would also be more portable, but I believe the 75Ah Thumper provides a more compact profile.

Either of the two choices will give you an excellent "dual battery" solution with good capacity for most situations.
The Flyer/battery combination would work out a little cheaper all up, if cost is a real issue.

No connection with either Blue Apple (Thumper) or Sidewinder (Flyer).
Just a happy user of both systems.

I now also have another battery system at my disposal.
I have recently invested in a new camper trailer which has 2 batteries with a combined capacity of 160Ah.
Charging while travelling is achieved by plugging in a lead to the"OUT" Anderson connector on the Flyer which connects to the 12v cable on the camper.
This is another reason why the Flyer remains resident in the back of the Ute.

Have I spoiled myself with all these 12 volt power options?
You bet ya!
Each option was introduced for a specific purpose (or by accident) and all work well with each other.

No bloody generator for me:-)

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 443835

Follow Up By: Member - Des - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 10:12

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 10:12
Strewth, you've got more power than Loy Yang Bill.

Don't the microwave and air conditioner take up too much space? ;-) Or are you preparing to hunker down for the apocalypse?
Cheers,
Des
FollowupID: 715954

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 18:31

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 18:31
Hey Des,

No microwave, no air conditioner, not even a cappachino maker:-)

As a matter of fact, the batteries in the camper feed a 65l Waeco upright compressor fridge, plus water pump, lights inside and anything else I require, such as a versalite fluro under the awning.
Don't know how long I'll get from this supply as I have only had the camper for a short time.

The Flyer/100Ah Remco runs the Engel whilst in the vehicle and even with the Waeco in the camper, I will still take and use the Engel.

That leaves the Thumper for things such as running the compressor and wheelnut gun, or emergency jump start, and running the Engel and lights when camping with the tent instead of the camper.

I think I'm covered Matey!

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 716007

Reply By: MattR - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 23:28

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2011 at 23:28
I'm just going to add my voice to the ones that suggest that there may be some problem in the RAPS 36 battery pack or the RAPS 12 power outlet, and here's why.

If the RAPS 36 was only designed to charge itself at 2 A, it would take about 18 hours for a full charge if it was totally dead. (Going from half to full would still take about 9 hours!) Most people don't drive that far in a day, or don't leave their car idling that long just to charge the battery.

There is _some_ limit to what it will charge itself at but I suspect that the limit is rather more than 2 A. It won't be over 10 A (it has to not blow the vehicle fuse if plugged into the factory cigarette lighter socket, and lots of those are fused at 10 A), but something like 5 or 6 A seems reasonable to me - giving a full charge time of 6 to 7 hours, or a half charge time of 3 to 3.5 hours - closer to a reasonable amount of driving.

So... I think either it's not getting enough juice out of the RAPS 12 socket, or that there might be some internal problem (like the bad connection mentioned) in the RAPS 36. A good auto electric place ought to be able to investigate both possibilities rather quickly.

As to your question about being able to jump start from an AGM in a battery box using jumper cables - yes, you can do this. Make sure the heavy wires from the terminals on top of the battery to the terminals on outside of the battery box are clean and tight - or, *carefully* open the top of the battery box and connect the jumper cable clips directly to the AGM battery terminals. Make sure the box lid can't flop back and knock the jumper cable clips loose, and that the jumper cable clips can't flop into each other.

The AGM batteries that are used for lights and fridges aren't really starting batteries - they are meant to deliver 10 or 20 A for a few hours instead of 300 A for a few seconds - but they will do it in a pinch. If you are jump starting the engine every day from your AGM, the AGM might not last as long as it otherwise would, but doing it a few times a year isn't bad. Charge up the AGM fully as soon as you can after you use it for a jump start and it will most likely be just fine.

I hope this helps!

Matt R.
AnswerID: 443873

Follow Up By: tonydav - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 08:40

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 08:40
Hi Matt & Barry

Thanks for your comments re the RAPS12. Just had a small brainwave re the RAPS12 - I don't want to waste extra money on it at the moment as I'll most likely get a Thumper 75A which has all the wiring included.

But to test the whole RAPS12 to RAPS36 to CF 50 system I can just hook it up to my 15A battery charger running in continuous output mode. This will essentially take any questions of wiring out of the equation and test what will happen in a "perfect world".

At the moment my Waeco is running continuously (something for another thread) but if it only pulls 5A the battery should stay fully charged. The RAPS36 has been on the 6A 3 stage for a few days so will be fully charged. I'll plug it in now and report back tonight.

The other issue that Waeco mentioned (of course after I bought this setup not on their website or anything), is that due to voltage drop the most the RAPS36 will charge to in the car is around 12.8-13V. They sell a 12V-12V 8A charger/voltage regulator which they say is required to give a full charge in the car. Product is here:

http://www.waeco.com.au/products4.asp?id=487&catId=77&subCatId=79&subCatId2=123

I had intended getting this but when I sat back and thought about it realised it was a bandaid solution. And the cost equation:

RAPS36 $335
RAPS12 $119
12V-12V 8A Charger $89
Total $543

Vs $638 for the 75A Thumper Fridgepower or $738 with jumpstarting. And this will charge at 50A (well that's what they say anyway).

Thinking if I have another use for the RAPS36 or should just sell it whilst it's only a few months old....

FollowupID: 715943

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 09:46

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 09:46
Hi Tony

Thanks for the link to the Waeco 8A charger, I did not know our supplier is now also supplying Waeco.

Image Could Not Be Found

It is the baby version of our 30A DC-DC charger.

FollowupID: 715949

Follow Up By: Member - Des - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 10:20

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 10:20
Pardon my ignorance, but can someone explain what a DC-to-DC charger is for? What does it provide that decent in-vehicle wiring doesn't provide?
FollowupID: 715956

Follow Up By: tonydav - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 13:44

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 13:44
Okay - reporting back.

I've got the Waeco CL50 plugged in as follows:

15A Battery charger running in continuous output mode
Connected to RAPS12 (about 1.5m cable in between)
RAPS36 plugged into this via hella plug
CL50 plugged into RAPS36 by Hella plug

Has been running continuously since this morning.

9:30am - RAPS36 - 13.2V
12:30pm - RAPS36 - 12.8V

I've now hooked the 6A charger direct to the Waeco via the charge points on top. Will run for another few hours and see

1:30pm - RAPS36 - 13.2V

(Note in all cases I disconnected all connections and left a minute before checking the charge on the Waeco meter.)

This tends to support my suggestion that the issue is the charging unit built into the RAPS36 and the fact that it won't charge the battery at a faster rate than the Waeco discharges it.
FollowupID: 715980

Follow Up By: tonydav - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 18:12

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 18:12
After posting this I had a further thought. I was wondering if the RAPS36 would reach 12.8 and stay there as Waeco had told me it would only go to 12.8 via car charging.

So I reconnected it to to the RAPS12 (via the battery charger) and set the Waeco to low. Waited 4 hours and it's now down to 12.3V.

So it definitely is charging the battery less via the inbuilt charger than the Waeco is drawing out.

Note, that if you had it set to setting 1 or 2 it will of course cycle and you may find the charge will stay at least at 12.8, but I don't think this is a very good option in the real world.
FollowupID: 716002

Follow Up By: tonydav - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 18:12

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 18:12
After posting this I had a further thought. I was wondering if the RAPS36 would reach 12.8 and stay there as Waeco had told me it would only go to 12.8 via car charging.

So I reconnected it to to the RAPS12 (via the battery charger) and set the Waeco to low. Waited 4 hours and it's now down to 12.3V.

So it definitely is charging the battery less via the inbuilt charger than the Waeco is drawing out.

Note, that if you had it set to setting 1 or 2 it will of course cycle and you may find the charge will stay at least at 12.8, but I don't think this is a very good option in the real world.
FollowupID: 716003

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 19:42

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 19:42
Hi Des

Funny you ask that, I just saw the same question here what-is-a-dcdc-charger

It may not answer your question but is well worth a read.

FollowupID: 716019

Reply By: Dagil - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 01:45

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 01:45
Not sure if this helps,
I have a Waeco 25 and a 30 amp thumper which I wired in myself, not being a 12v boffin I thought it was quite easy.

The fridge runs fine when I'm driving and the battery stays charged, I found if I am touring during the day there is no problem with leaving the fridge on all night and the battery is only at about 12.2v in the morning, that's with the fridge at about -8c
My car is a Forester and I have never had a flat battery with this system.

I also use an OZ Charge 2-4-8 amp charger if I stop for a couple of days in a motel,
I simply keep the fridge connected to the battery and connect the battery charger to the battery.
I use this system instead of the recommended 'fridge power supply' simply because it keeps the battery well maintained, I can use it for other things where as the
'fridge power supply' costs $100 and can't be used for anything else.
I have been using this system for a year or so now and I find it faultless.

I have recently bought an 80w solar panel for camping which also seems to do the trick.
Obviously if you use a bigger fridge a bigger battery will be needed but as far as the thumper goes I can't fault it.

BTW I just recently purchased from 'Home of 12v' another 30 amp battery for my wife's car as I love them so much but also made up a short cable from old jumper leads with 175 amp Anderson plugs so I can connect the 2 batteries together to get 60 amps if needed.

Well that's how I do it hope this give you some food for thought

David
AnswerID: 443879

Reply By: Ray - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 10:29

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 10:29
Hi Tonydav,
not being too familiar with your vehicle I cannot be certain of your situation.
My personal opinion of thumpers is that they are designed for the not do it yourself market. The thumpers that I've seen have more outlets than are necessary for the average person. You say that you want to run a Weaco fridge in the back of your car? But why buy all those fancy gizmo's that cost you big bickies. All you realy need to do is run a pair of suitable sized cables from your main battery, via an isolator and a fuse,which is ignition controlled to where you want the fridge. You may need a 12 to 12 transformer near the second battery if the cabling is a bit light and you get voltage drop. I would put the axillary battery in a cheap eski of a suitable size and fit a couple of Anderson plugs to the eski and chop off the 12v plug fro the Weaco and fit an Anderson plug to it or you could connect the 12v Weaco cable straight to the auxiliary battery via a second fuse but I would advise you to put a pair of Anderson plugs on the feed so that you can remove the eski/battery from the vehicle when not needed.
AnswerID: 443907

Follow Up By: tonydav - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 18:21

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2011 at 18:21
Hi Ray,

This actually goes back to my original question. You'd suggest just going the battery box way (vs Flyer or Thumper).

In hindsight (don't we all see 20/20 in hindsight) the Waeco was a wrong move. I now have to decide whether to scrap/sell the Waeco or get a 12V-12V charger after getting the RAPS12 wiring fixed.

Really annoys me that the RAPS36 will only accept charge at up to 8A. Means that if I use it heavily during the day it will take ages to get back to full charge.

Still, the whole thing is an interesting exercise and always worth learning new stuff (pity when it costs you $$$ to do so :).

Davo
FollowupID: 716004

Reply By: Ray - Thursday, Feb 03, 2011 at 10:11

Thursday, Feb 03, 2011 at 10:11
I would not scrap the Weaco. I have had a Weaco for quite a few years. Just simplify your charging and supply system
AnswerID: 444014

Follow Up By: tonydav - Thursday, Feb 03, 2011 at 10:33

Thursday, Feb 03, 2011 at 10:33
It is handy, but I think the 8A supply limit is a major limitation. After it went down to 12.2V yesterday I connected the charger back to it. Took about 8 hours to get back to full charge, with the Waeco still running. Admitedly would be better with the 8A 12V-12V battery charger, but then I'll still need to spend another $90 + freight for this... I really hate half-arsed solutions and this is what this is starting to feel like to me.

Davo
FollowupID: 716087

Sponsored Links