Simpson Desert trip

We are planning a trip to the Simpson Desert in April. Does anyone know if it likely that the desert will be able to be crossed at this time or will these rains up north cause it to be closed?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2011 at 20:27

Thursday, Feb 03, 2011 at 20:27
Too early to tell - wait and see where it goes after Mt Isa - then check and see how much rain falls on the western side of the Desert and on the eastern side. In fact you need to wait and see generally.
AnswerID: 444066

Reply By: Member - Rodney B- Thursday, Feb 03, 2011 at 23:29

Thursday, Feb 03, 2011 at 23:29
We've planned a Simpson trip for June but with this rain it is looking a bit dicey. That rain is looking like ending up right in the Simpson and will do wonders for Eyre Creek

Good luck
AnswerID: 444094

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 07:55

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 07:55
We were going in May. I think we may include a rubber inflatable boat and put the car in it!

We were planning an east to west crossing so if we get to Birdsville we will just swing north to the gulf etc instead.

We shall just have to wait and see.

Phil
AnswerID: 444106

Follow Up By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 08:29

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 08:29
Also going in May West to East some of our party needs to be in Thursday Island by the end of June so if the 'desert' is too wet will have to go round. We apparently were the first across last June and its Eyre Creek that will cause you the most problems.
FollowupID: 716207

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 08:45

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 08:45
Eyre Creek and the ability to swing north were the two deciding factors that made us choose the "other" way. But I would prefer the Simpson to the gulf.

It also makes a good trip for a second "crossing" by exiting down out the Rig road and home to Canberra via Cameron's leaving both sides of Lake Eyre available for an "untravelled (by us) trip up into the Simpson via Rig Road and out through Mt Hart and home via the west of Lake Eyre. I do not like doubling up. Next trip to the Kimberley has to be the Tanami and home via the Pilbera as much as possible.

Fancy praying for a stop of the rain.

Phil
FollowupID: 716210

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 08:29

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 08:29
Hi Frances

April is still very early in the tourist season. Depending on which way and track you take, many of the tracks will have blown over, with large lips at the top of the dunes. Temperatures will be hot still. If the desert does get a good sprinkling from the rain, that will at least stabilise the dunes.

It is still too far out to make a good call, but if you postpone it for 6 - 7 weeks later, conditions will be much better in a normal year.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 444110

Reply By: Mark&Sue - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 17:16

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 17:16
Is that you Francis who come to Cape York last year with us
AnswerID: 444198

Sponsored Links