12 Volt in a Dove

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 18:53
ThreadID: 84236 Views:2542 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have a new Jayco Dove and wish to use the 12 volt lighting.
What do I need to install - if anything - to make it operational?

If I ask here - saves me a trip to Bayswater Jayco.
Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 19:41

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 19:41
a battery?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 444797

Reply By: Member - Brian P (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 20:02

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 20:02
Hi garytee.
Your Dove should all ready be wired for 12vold lighting. Have you got a live wire in your plug on the tow vehicle? This should run your lighting while connected up. If you want to run the lights independently of the car then you need a battery fitted to the van. Brian
AnswerID: 444805

Follow Up By: garytee - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 20:40

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 20:40
Thanks Brian.
I will need a battery. Is this a simple exercise and what sort of money could I expect to pay?

Gary
FollowupID: 716955

Follow Up By: Member - Brian P (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 22:34

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 22:34
When we brought our van the Jayco dealer quoted $470 to fit battery pack including battery. That is using the power supply and charger all ready in van. [setec] Has your van got the setec fitted? The setec is the power supply that runs your lights and other 12v things. It is also a trickle charger for a battery if you fit one. Brian
FollowupID: 716994

Reply By: Neil&Lea - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 21:01

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 21:01
hey Gary

We have a Swan(with a lot of history...) get yourself a deep cycle battery with big amp hrs, and it will run your light for about 5 days without charge....
we have five kids and also run a portable dvd of it every night and with a small solar pannel it lasts about a 4-5 days depending on the sun...then its onto the back up in the car....you never can have enough... especially when you have to keep your beer cold in the engal because the fridge in the camper is full of cordial...
keep smilin
AnswerID: 444822

Follow Up By: garytee - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 21:15

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 21:15
I'm keen on cold beer.
Can you run an Engle off the 12 V?
How long would a decent battery last running that and lights?
FollowupID: 716964

Follow Up By: Neil&Lea - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 21:35

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 21:35
yes the engal is the pick(we have the 40ltr, as it draws low amps with the lights you would be lucky to get two days out of it...
we have a second battery in the Patrol which is 100amp hr deep cycle, it will run the fridge for a few days without charging, (starting the 4bee up for half hour, or going for a drive) We run our frige in the Jayco on gas, which with the stove top we get over a week out of a 9kg bottle, so running an engal with your lights would defenaltly need charge after a couple of days...
FollowupID: 716969

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 21:29

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 21:29
Hi garytee, we own an 05 Offroad Dove which came with a fancy gel battery which died soon after purchase. So I moved the connections from the bin under the lounge next to the queen bed to the bin in front of the wheel arch just foward of the sink. This was because the original location for the battery was in the middle of the bin making it less suitable for storage.
As long as you are plugged into your car via the 7 pin plug you could survive on the car battery if you only use the van lights for an hour or so. Beyong that it's like leaving the car headlights on and you will flatten the battery too much and not be able to restart in the morning.
Our Dove has the old style incandescent bulbs which we hardly use. You can spend $$ and get LED's or go to a camping store and buy a compact fluoro for $30 which has a cigarette lighter plug. Buy the socket and wire it in in parallel to the wiring to the CD player if you have one.
The purists will object but I use an ordinary car battery (instead of gel) which was 2nd hand from a battery supplier. The first one lasted 2 years for $50. But I only run the fluoro plus the laptop and we tend to move along on most days so it gets drained of a night but recharged the next day.
The magic box of electronics under the seat might bip at you if the voltage drops too low and a few times we have come back from a walk and it's bipping but you just flick off the switch. Cheers, Warrie
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 444834

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Feb 11, 2011 at 22:54

Friday, Feb 11, 2011 at 22:54
Hopefully the bin where you moved the battery to is sealed from the inside and vented to the outside.

Using a wet battery inside a van if not illegal is extremely foolish.

Should it drop a cell and the charger keep poking a charge into it it will start venting up and may well kill you with the fumes.

Your van, your life, but after seeing what happened to two of mine in the boot of my old van I would certainly not have one inside a van ever.

They dropped a cell in each and heated up and expanded and vented gas something awful.

Would have been fatal if inside and we were asleep.

FollowupID: 717371

Sponsored Links