Garmin Nuvi software - convert to google earth format?

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 09, 2011 at 23:56
ThreadID: 84248 Views:2908 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Been OS so not on EO for a while. Hired a car while away (Diesel Hilux 3l D4D, 12 seater high roof) – beaut beast. Did 3300km. Hire company threw in a Garmin Nuvi (not sure the model – probably 2 years old or so). I managed to download its entire file structure. Would like to generate a track file – preferably in Google earth format (.kmz file) to plot where we went. How do I do this?

Alternatively, is there someone with the software that could convert it for me – if so what file type contains the track info.?

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 10, 2011 at 00:24

Thursday, Feb 10, 2011 at 00:24
Hi

Not all Nuvis save a track file by default (or at all) so it may or may not be present in the "file structure" you have copied from the unit. .......anyway

Have a read of this

Garmin Nuvi Tricks and Tips

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 444871

Reply By: Member - Matthew S (WA) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2011 at 10:52

Thursday, Feb 10, 2011 at 10:52
Hi,
I have a nuvi as well as was hoping to do the same after my trip to Tasmania. But the Nuvi I have will only keep the last week due to memory size. So all i have is the last week from Adelaide to Perth. You may need to use a program called MapSource. I have a guy at work that does it all for me so don't ask how its done :)

Cheers
AnswerID: 444917

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2011 at 15:51

Thursday, Feb 10, 2011 at 15:51
2 ways you can do this,
1 download your recorded track from the GPS into Mapsource on the PC,
2 If the track you want is over main roads and tracks shown on Mapsource on the PC then create a route ....then as below for both methods.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

You can then save the file as a KMZ file from GE. Waypoints can be shown too if there are any and can be tuirned on or off using the menu on the left side in GE.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 444952

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 10, 2011 at 16:02

Thursday, Feb 10, 2011 at 16:02
Hi

Possibly a better alternative to Mapsource is Basecamp. Only because its a bit easier to get up and running ...if you dont already have Mapsource.

Dont need either to view in Google Earth though - just drag the track file (*.gpx) into Goggle Earth - job done.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 717120

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2011 at 23:00

Thursday, Feb 10, 2011 at 23:00
thanks all, that gives me a few things to try. I dont have mapsource so will try basecamp first. Cheers

AnswerID: 445006

Sponsored Links