Somewhere to go next easter?

Submitted: Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 21:17
ThreadID: 8428 Views:2502 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I'm off to the Suzuki gymkana at Oberon next easter (only to watch) and then have the next week off. I'm trying to find somewhere to go for that week. The Victorian High Country may be a good possibility but I'm not sure when the tracks are closed for the winter and to be honest, I'm not even sure where the "high country" is!

Looking for info or suggestions as to a reasonble destination for the week. We (family) have a quite capable 4wd (80 series with lots of extras) and off road camper. We have plenty of off road experience in the deserts and up north and are loaded with recovery gear. Just never travelled south. I should mention that we are on the North Coast of NSW. Looking to camp near water (lake/river/beach), NOT in the cities (Sydney/Melbourne etc, can't stand the crowds, cement, traffic lights and so on). Don't mind a bit of fishing, love a camp fire at night, good views of mountains and valleys, company of like minded people and of course a drink or two (port is a great way to keep the cold night air at bay)! Guess I'm looking for heaven!

I'm open to suggestions!
TIA
Tony J
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cokeaddict - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 22:16

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 22:16
hey Tony J,
Cant suggest a place for ya to go, but just wanted to tell you that i was in the high country 1 year ago this month....ALONE. Spent 2 full weeks in there. One of the best places i have ever been, just dont do it alone and NO trailer !!! I was warned about heading in there alone but it was the challenge i been looking for in a long time..so i did it, but i think an angel followed me as on my way to tom groggins hut, one of the map directions was incorrect by 40 kms. So by the time i figured out where i was and had to double back i was way down on fuel and didnt have enough to get out. But lucky for me i stumbled across some council workers bulldozing fallen trees and after explaining to then i was low on fuel, they kindly filled me up 120 ltrs..lol and i made it back into town before heading off into S.A.

But if you get the chance mate...spend some time in the high country , preferably with friends in other 4wd's as its the most beautiful place i have seen in a long time. Plenty of river crossings to mate, I counted around 45 just on 1 track alone..i think it was called "the haunted stream"...good luck
AnswerID: 36784

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 22:44

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 22:44
gday tony.
the high country is one of my favourite spots.we go there on most chances.
we usuaslly camp at a place called jamieson by the river a little busy at easter but there camping grounds all over the place.very close to all the main places in the high country mansfield/bulla ect.i would highly recomend it for a week or two.
there is a book available from the exploroz shop exploring the high country if you can do all the trips in a week or so your going to quickback by popular demand
:-)
AnswerID: 36796

Reply By: duncs - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 23:26

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 23:26
Hi Tony,

I can't say anything about the high country in Victoria except that I hear what guys like Diamond are saying and want to go there myself. However, if you are going to Oberon why go all the way to Victoria for something to look at.

On the wetern edge of Lake Burragoran(Warragamba Dam) is an old "Ghost Town" called Yerranderie. It is an old mining town and has a number of historic buildings that you can stay in or you can camp. You could get there via Jenolan and Kanangara which are spectacular. Check in Oberon about the road from there to Yerranderis via the Kowmung River. I had heard that it was closed at one stage but it offers some good 4wd that would be fun with your rig. The river crossing can be deep at times and is worth a good look and a walk. I tow a trailer and would not hesitate to take it on this trip. You could travel from there down the firetrails to Wombeyan Caves which has a nice camp ground beside the river with some nice bush walks and caves. There aer also some pretty camp sites on private land between Wombeyan and Mittagong. We did pretty much this trip a few years ago from Sydney staying with friends at Mt Victoria on the Friday night and getting home on Sunday evening. We did not get into Yerranderie so more time would not be wasted in this area.

Or you could go out to Abercrombie Caves, haven't been there myself but hear it is pretty good too.

Just a thought, I'd save the high country for when I had more time.

Duncs
AnswerID: 36802

Sponsored Links