Recovery Hooks

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 14, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 843 Views:1488 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
where on a series 75 ute would be the preferred position to mount front & rear recovery hooks

cheers

donalddasher
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: All Terrain 4WD Adventures - Thursday, Mar 14, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Mar 14, 2002 at 01:00
Donald,

If it was me mounting these hooks I would be installing them on the chassis rails both front and rear if possible. I would be installing two hooks at the front and two hooks at the rear.

This will enable you to create a tow point by connecting between the two hooks with a short rated strap, then connecting your snatchum or tow strap to this connection point thereby spreading the load evenly across the chassis of the vehicle.

I would also consider purchasing quality hooks from a company like ARB to ensure they are manufactured for strength.

Stuart.
AnswerID: 2383

Follow Up By: Donald Dasher - Friday, Mar 15, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Mar 15, 2002 at 01:00
Stuart,I have a bullbar the make of which I dont know which is attached to the rails by way of brackets which have holes for shackles (?). These brackets have a approx 12mm bolt and nut thru the rail vertically and two smaller diameter bolts into the rail horizontally. The bar is then bolted to this bracket. Would I have enough strength in this arrangement to attach shackles to the bar mount brackets as I dont know how bullbars are generally mounted. I have seen many units where the recovery points are incorp. into the bar. The rear, well that can wait for another day. regards donalddasher
FollowupID: 857

Reply By: All Terrain 4WD Adventures - Friday, Mar 15, 2002 at 01:00

Donald,

If I understand you correctly you have the 12mm bolts going through the bullbar into the chassis rails. If this is the case then I would be trying to use these bolts (if they aren't long enough source some longer ones, High Tensile preferred) and bolt my new recovery points in this position. This way the recovery hooks are securely mounted via bolts which ultimately attached into the chassis rail.

Where do you live maybe I could recommend a place for you to get some advice. These things are always difficult as you can see it and others can't.

Stuart.
AnswerID: 2389

Follow Up By: Donald Dasher - Friday, Mar 15, 2002 at 01:00

Stuart, the bolts attach the bracket to which the bullbar is bolted, to the rails + Adelaide
cheers
FollowupID: 859

Sponsored Links