DBI 2 Engine Management Data to onboard tablet

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 13, 2011 at 08:31
ThreadID: 84312 Views:1937 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Guys, in the interest of trying to have everything in my vehicle having multiple uses, I am in the midst of setting up an on-board laptop (ASUS Eee PC T91 Tablet) with Garmin street nav software and oziexplorer for outback navigation as well as normal data saving, media playing and internet functionality.

My question is, does anyone else doing this also use their's to display live data from the EMS via a DBI2 plug sending the data wirelessly to the laptop and if so, what applications and hardware have you used. Will it display such info as turbo temp and pressure as well as the other usual data.

There are quite a few different wireless sending units available but sorting the good from the bad is difficult. Any input from you guys is much appreciated. Cheers.

Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2011 at 10:27

Sunday, Feb 13, 2011 at 10:27
ADDENDUM: Apparently my termonolgy is slightly incorrect. What i mean is an OBDii plug reader sending wirelessly to the laptop running an application that will read the data. Again, if anyone has a similar set up i would love to hear about it. Cheers.
AnswerID: 445263

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Feb 13, 2011 at 11:36

Sunday, Feb 13, 2011 at 11:36
Tony,

I’ve looked at this myself and there are a few that have done it over on the Patrol4x4 site. You would need a diagnostic program specific to your vehicle which are fairly hard to come by. There are a few “all in one” programs about for vehicle management but in the end, I wondered what was I actually trying to do and why. The most relevant piece of info coming out of consult or OBD2 are the fault codes and they can be read with a much cheaper scan device.

Another option is a gauge type read out that has the software included in the plug in module. Have a look at thePLX MULTI & OBD gauges. The website has some excellent videos on installing the gauges and just what they can do.

A lot of time on Google is the only other thing I can recommend. Most of it is overseas stuff although there is an Australian distributer for the PLX OBD gauges (apparently very popular with the Subaru WRX "doof doof" crowd).

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 445276

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2011 at 15:57

Sunday, Feb 13, 2011 at 15:57
Hi Mick, good reply mate, cheers, you make a couple of really valid points there. I guess what i am trying to achieve is multi tasking a laptop that will already be mounted. The cost of a seperate unit versus an application and reader is probably a fairly moot point as either way, there is cost involved. However, if i can avoid yet another seperate guage on the dash as well as inclinators, volt meter, UHF etc then that would be a bonus.

One of the big decision makers on this would be an app that can tell me turbo temp/boost through the OBDii as i am always mindful of those two things but at this stage have know way of measuring these therefore err on the side of caution.

What i did find was this which looks like it might be the goods however i have sent them an email asking for details on turbo readouts. I will also check out the patrol forum as per your suggestion, didnt think of that earlier so cheers for that.

Thanks Mick,

Tony
FollowupID: 717563

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2011 at 17:49

Sunday, Feb 13, 2011 at 17:49
Put an EGT gauge in it

Will tell you when its getting too hot, before it goes bang LOL

Despite me having 3 gauges,oil pressure, auto temp and an EGT sometimes I think you can worry too much.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 445310

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Monday, Feb 14, 2011 at 09:03

Monday, Feb 14, 2011 at 09:03
Haha thanks Graham, it isnt a Nissan though :-).

Yes i agree, there is a fine line between keeping informed and going overboard and to some degree i might be concerned over nothing, but given i intend on keeping this car for a very long time, i want to look after it as much as possible.
FollowupID: 717642

Sponsored Links