iCom IC-400 Pro wont find any channel

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 15, 2011 at 13:09
ThreadID: 84378 Views:6297 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

We have finally got around to trying to figure out how our new UHF / CB radio thing works before we head off into the middle of nowhere shortly.

The first problem that we encountered was that the unit does not scan unless the handheld piece is placed in an earthed holder (which ours doesn't seem to be). Anyway, thanks to Steve L for his instructions at #381109, I have just fixed this, and the unit scans fine.

Which leads me on to the next problem - it wont find any channels now.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Does this ring any bells with anyone?

I could probably benefit from a lesson on how to use this thing, but for now I just want to get it working... :(

I'd really appreciate some assistance.

Thanks, Simon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2011 at 13:31

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2011 at 13:31
hi pomsdownunder
have you read the instructions and do you have a proper aerial connection and the right type of aerial????
cheers
AnswerID: 445511

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2011 at 13:46

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2011 at 13:46
You can get a manual here

http://www.cbdomain.com/download/icom_uhf_manual_downloads.htm.

AnswerID: 445515

Reply By: AGNI4x4 - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2011 at 15:42

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2011 at 15:42
Simon have a couple of Icom 400 in both my vehicles ................ great radio but difficult company to deal with sadly. You can also get onto the Icom forum on Yahoo they are most helpfull. You can also get software and cable to do just about anything with as far as reprogramming and turning different functions on and off. Scan function as you say will only work with hook earthed and mike on hook. You can also do a simple mod in mike so it will scan unhooked.
Before scanning first of all go in and check your squelch setting as if it's set to high then during scan it will run over the weaker signals and hence give the appearance of not finding any channels. If no one is transmitting in your area whilst scanning this will also give the same result.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 445525

Follow Up By: pomsdownunder - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2011 at 16:55

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2011 at 16:55
Thanks Pete.

The squelch is set at 120, which is the default I believe. Do I need to change this - if so, to what setting?

I was able to pick up some channels today whilst crossing from NSW into Vic, but still not sure if the unit is working totally as it should be. No bars on signal meter for instance...
FollowupID: 717940

Follow Up By: Member - Tezza Qld - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2011 at 19:12

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2011 at 19:12
Hi I set all our icoms squelch settings to 60. They pick up very well without getting any consistant hash.

Cheers Teza
FollowupID: 717978

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2011 at 15:48

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2011 at 15:48
Welcome to the 400Pro - I found mine a struggle to configure over quite a length of time - I think the setup overall is quite complex, given that the handbook does not get near fully explaining all aspects of setup - it assumes a lot of prior knowledge about advanced CB radio configuration IMV. I've finally got mine running 4 scans modes, and employing selcall and CTCSS but hell..... that took a lot of reading and fiddling for this fuzzy old mind. I have those functions on a GME hand held unit, so I can check the operation with reasonable ease. If you choose OPEN scan mode, then scan and it doesn't find anything, there might not be any traffic in range.... ? But it could even be your configs (eg. mute), or hardware setup (eg. antenna as mentioned)...... the best scenario is to have someone else nearby comming with a third party - then you can compare your setup as a real exercise.
AnswerID: 445527

Follow Up By: pomsdownunder - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2011 at 17:00

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2011 at 17:00
Hi,

I did manage to get it working today. By that I mean we were able to hear people talking on a number of different channels. Not for very long, but we could hear them...

As we headed from NSW to Vic we set the unit to scan a number of pre-selected channels and it did so for a couple of hours, occasionally picking up activity on couple of channels. I guess the unit was scanning longer than we could hear people, but hey, I guess there weren't many people talking in the same area as us today.

Thanks.
FollowupID: 717942

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2011 at 19:27

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2011 at 19:27
If on the highway (or near one), you should hear other road users on channel 40.
You can always press the talk button and ask for a radio check (a 'please' on the end usually gets a few returns from helpful users :-o). ..... you might unfortunately get a $#@%^&* response though from some of the low-lifes that lurk on the airwaves - these ferals have just about ruined the CB game in city areas - country areas are usually a whole different scenario.
FollowupID: 717980

Reply By: Wheatbelt Wayne - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2011 at 01:34

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2011 at 01:34
Hi

What or where is #381109 ?? Have a friend with one of these units and need to do the mod for him, as his is located in the overhead console and doesn't earth to the microphone clip.... so he doesn't get a scan at all.

Cheers
Cheers

Wayne

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 445603

Follow Up By: SteveL - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2011 at 13:00

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2011 at 13:00
This must be a typo by the O.P. There are not that many threads. I cannot find the post
either.
FollowupID: 717920

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2011 at 13:35

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2011 at 13:35
PDU means "answerID: 381109" which will take you to the following thread:

Icom 400pro

Hope that helps,
Andrew
FollowupID: 717922

Follow Up By: pomsdownunder - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2011 at 17:01

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2011 at 17:01
Thanks Andrew =)
FollowupID: 717943

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Thursday, Feb 17, 2011 at 08:17

Thursday, Feb 17, 2011 at 08:17
Simon

Sounds like you have it in function or set mode !

There are 3 modes, and you can toggle between thenm by simply pressing and holding the F key

Are there any flashing or solid bars on the botton of the display ?

I have an electric copy of a simplified user manual...
The standard user manual from Icom itself, is not that flash.

If you want it then email me at bloh@iinet.net.au and it is yours

That will help.

Is to print it out and get to your vehicle with this manual..
You may need to get it programmed, but I think not.
yes the Icom 400 Pro can be fully programmed, but of course you will need to get a dealer to do it, and it will cost $$$$

Failing that there is an Icom 400 Pro user Group on Yahoo, but you will have to do the research yourself..

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 445730

Sponsored Links