AU Falcon Ute UHF Antenna

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 17, 2011 at 02:48
ThreadID: 84416 Views:3347 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just hoping someone could tell me the best place to run an UHF antenna lead into the rear of the cab ( AU II Falcon GLS ute 2001) . The antenna is mounted to the top of my 3" Sports Bar and I want to run the lead into the rear of the Super Cab. Is there any pre drilled holed with grommets I could use? Any advice appreciated. Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Feb 17, 2011 at 07:38

Thursday, Feb 17, 2011 at 07:38
Best spot for the antenna would be smack in the middle of the roof, out of the way of loads on the bar, good ground plane and even radiation in all directions.
I know it goes against the grain to bore a hole in the roof but it really is the best spot for the antenna. You can usually get away with a far smaller stick than what is required when mounted on the bar or ute back too.
AnswerID: 445728

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Feb 17, 2011 at 07:46

Thursday, Feb 17, 2011 at 07:46
We had tub off an AU ute but nothing obvious stood out , just put mine thru roof as well , better easier and I think enhances the car anyway.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 718039

Reply By: Ozrover - Thursday, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:45

Thursday, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:45
Pierre,

I had the same model ute that you have & there was a rubber grommet near the top of the door frame at the rear that I ran the uhf coax through.

Just put a piece of duct tape over the exposed cable to stop it from flapping in the wind.

PS, Great ute, I hated selling it!

AnswerID: 445751

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Feb 17, 2011 at 14:18

Thursday, Feb 17, 2011 at 14:18
A few years back (plenty of years) we had a well done up Kingswood. Paint, motor, suspension the lot. The last thing I wanted to do was damage it and have my wife on me about it for the rest of my klife. So I paid an installer to mount the antenna in the center of the roof.

Why you ask? Because if he had stuffed up the install then his insurance would fix it. My life is also not at risk from me stuffing it up or even scratching the paintwork.

Worth a thought.

Phil
AnswerID: 445786

Sponsored Links