fuel tank

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 20:54
ThreadID: 84473 Views:1904 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
have a 03 hilux td twin cab instead off getting a long range fuel tank ;could i swap my tank for one out of a single cab ;would give me an extra 10 litres its not a lot but the little extra would come in handy thanks barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 23:15

Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 23:15
mmmm, barry, as a avid hilux freak, currently rebuilding an 1982 hilux, ten litres isn't much!!!

what are you planning to do with said vehicle?
where are you planning to go???

these are the questions you need to ask yourself!

if you are planning a desert trip or fraser island for a week, or just visiting rellies in the middle of oz, then i would put in a long rangetank.
Jerry cans are nice but a long range tank is better for stability purposes and and saftey plus piece of mind.

but if you are going to be local then stick with jerry cans or a poly tank of 65 - 70 litres.

For and example. my wife, mysister and her hubby and 3 kids, went to moreton island for a week, this dumb bunny didn't fill up his diesel tank, but i had 45 litres in drums . now i didn't know to top up with diesel before going to said island. so we ( my wife teena and i) bummed a lift with my sister for a few times. so we used my hilux with tray for rubbish and water, and sometimes carrying the inflatable boats around so we didn't have to deflate them. once back on the mainland after our week on the island, i learnt

1 to fill tank before leaving mainland, two cary heaps of spare fuel and safely, four put another tank into vehicle.

Don't be put off by my experience, but do ask yourself what you want out of the vehicle and what you are going to use it for????

And if not certain then err on the side of caution! because you can always off load it to another forumite!!!!
AnswerID: 445999

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Feb 20, 2011 at 03:40

Sunday, Feb 20, 2011 at 03:40
Barry

Think about this !
We had a Navara 3.0TD Twin cab Ute for 5 years, and I was toying with the Idea of putting another fuel tank by ripping out the spare and putting a tank in there.
The tank I looked at was out of a Rodeo wreck.

That meant that I would have relocate the spare tyre.

Another consideration was between the chassis rails on the LHS, but that meant re-routing the exhaust.

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't

I sold the Navara and got a Patrol instead. Now I have 180 lts on board instead of 75, but I need that too.

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 446004

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Feb 20, 2011 at 08:37

Sunday, Feb 20, 2011 at 08:37
No the tanks are not interchangeable Baz between the single & twin cab Hilux models. I can see where you're coming from though as my Jeep tank is just a touch too small & an extra 75 km in range would make all the difference for weekend trips.
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 446014

Sponsored Links