Hot Air Balloon

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 20:24
ThreadID: 84624 Views:1889 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. It is not often you see a large hot air balloon over suburbia but we did this morning. We have our annual Wings over Illawarra air show tomorrow so I guess this was some sort of promotion for the show. Only trouble was the balloon seemed to be blown off course a tad. We watched it try to land in a large sports ground area, it only cleared high voltage power lines by about 10 metres, but was then carried towards a main road so the pilot ascended up over our houses and then seemed to land about a kilometre away from our house in a new estate section. Not sure of the outcome but it looked a bit hairy at times. Bob

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 23:37

Saturday, Feb 26, 2011 at 23:37
G'day Bob

We get quite a lot of them in the Lower Hunter Valley, a wine country tourist thing, (but not over our suburbs). Been thinking of taking Mrs Bushwhacker on one, she loves the look of them.

You just talked me out of it.

Cheers, Dave

AnswerID: 446688

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 09:46

Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 09:46
Hi Toyo,
Canberra has a Hot Air Balloon festival each autumn. It runs for a week or so and attracts dozens of balloons from all over Oz and overseas as well. Its a major tourist attraction. The balloons take off from open ground near Parliament house, right in the centre of the city and then go whichever way the wind takes them, so inevitably they fly over the suburbs. Our 4WD club gets involved each year acting as ground support and recovery crew for the balloons.

Apart from that you can get a balloon flight over the city all year round, weather permitting. Must take a flight one day.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 446705

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 09:46

Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 09:46
we used to see them most mornings here in Brisbane, have had a few take off from the park just down the road.
the wife and i went up in one here in Brisbane once, the sound of barking dogs was heard quite alot along the trip (amazing how many dogs there are), geez they hate the sound of the ballons when they hit the burner for more heat.....lol
AnswerID: 446706

Reply By: PradOz - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2011 at 23:04

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2011 at 23:04
I was never interested in chancing my luck in 1 of these, but when the wife wanted to go up in 1 for her 40th I had little choice but to go also. In the end something I really enjoyed, so much so that I will go again when the surroundings justify it. Thoroughly recommend every1 give it a go. No excuses not to. I was pre spinal surgery (in a bad way) and they did everything to make it all so easy, comfortable and enjoyable.
AnswerID: 447043

Sponsored Links