Darwin to Broome campervan in December - Mad?

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 19:00
ThreadID: 84648 Views:2592 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi looking to travel down from Darwin to Broome over 3/4 weeks in December and then on down to Perth. Realistically what are the chances of the best areas being open? especially to non 4WD bearing in mind we have no alternative but to do this part of our trip at this time of year. We are not experienced 4WD drivers so probably getting one would not be appropriate either, due to possibility of getting stuck etc. Will anything be open to see? Our main aim of the trip in this area is the scenery and wildlife. By the way any recommendations to stay for Christmas and new year around the Broome area? Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 19:48

Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 19:48
Dave - conditions may be a bit humid at that time, but the kimberley is worth seeing anytime. Being non 4wd will restrict you a bit, but have a bash - it will whet your appetite for more.

Be guided by locals in the areas you visit, they are usually quite helpful. Major roads shouldn't be a problem unless there is a thunderstorm or two, but delays are not normally for very long these days. If it has rained in the area, take care at floodways. The scenery is usually more vibrant in 'the wet' season.

Enjoy - regards, Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 446768

Follow Up By: Daveb4 - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2011 at 01:59

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2011 at 01:59
Phil, thanks for the advice - it has got to be worth a go and as we have time it is not too much of a problem if we get stuck somewere for a couple of days. I think we just needed some confidence.
FollowupID: 719303

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 21:55

Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 21:55
Not sure if you have a 4wd, i dont think you say it..?? this will make it a bit limited if not... fairly good chance all sealed roads will still be open as it takes the heavy rains of Jan to fill the rivers before flooding becomes a problem, i have been around Broome at chrissy and everything is full, i would probally plan iether well ahead and book or take a chance and be prepaired for someware else, check Broome well before getting there as if it is full there is not much available from Broome to Port Headland
every chance everything will be open but also a chance it will be closed...... it is anybodys guess this far away but ask it a few weeks before leaving and you will soon know....
If we plan any trips from Nov to.... well the end of the wet..... we always make 2-3 different plans based on it being either dry or very wet, make sure you have some back up plans is the most important thing..
AnswerID: 446788

Follow Up By: Daveb4 - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2011 at 01:58

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2011 at 01:58
Thanks for advice. I think we will probably give it a go as we are trying to get down to Broome or Exmouth at Christmas, so should be ok. Had a look at internet and their is plenty of choice at the moment so better get booking.
FollowupID: 719302

Reply By: oztours - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 20:51

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 20:51
Hi Dave!!!

Most would say mad yes.... but i say bloody brilliant time to see it. I myself back in 2004 travelled across from Darwin to Broome in December. We spent a week in Broome CP for Christmas. On this trip I too did not have a 4WD we saw a lot we were lucky that we saw as much as we did as the wet was a little late. The humidity was staggering but I loved every minute. Well worth it! I say go for it and enjoy every minute!
AnswerID: 447261

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)