insuring a slide on camper

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 22:44
ThreadID: 84659 Views:8082 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi i have a slide on camper that i am trying to insure.
the out side is a professional made MW tool Box and the inside has been set up for overnight camping.
Maggiolina roof top
the inside has been professional fitted out, frides with drop slide, solar panels etc....i have rung a lot of caravan insuries but they say there is no brand name no insurance....can anyone help...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 23:00

Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 23:00
Hi Greg,

We have a slide on camper with a general appearance as yours, but it has a brand name. Never the less we easily got insurance with RACV.

Might help, good luck,


AnswerID: 446798

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 23:53

Sunday, Feb 27, 2011 at 23:53
Hi Greg,

you do not indicate what area of OZ you are in or if you are/aren't a 4WD club member.

You could try T.C.I.S. for coverage throughout most of Australia and they do have a separate policy for 4WD Club members, or if you are in Victoria, 4WD Victoria has its own insurance provider.

Hope this helps a little.

Wayne & Sally.

AnswerID: 446804

Follow Up By: Mick O - Monday, Feb 28, 2011 at 08:20

Monday, Feb 28, 2011 at 08:20
I would second TCIS and have my slide on insured through them. They provide specialist 4x4 insurance policies so less likely to strike any difficulties with mods and accessories than main stream insurers (who only ever tell you after you've tried to claim). Be aware that you will probably need a separate "contents" policy for the gear inside the camper. TCIS will be able to advise you there.

My slide-on was insured for $20K - premium was $316. Contents of $5K attracted a premium of $200.

Contact details;

Lisa Brock
Tier 1
4WD Broker
TCIS Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd
Ph: (08) 8278 7000
Fax: (08) 8278 8555
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 719191

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Feb 28, 2011 at 09:24

Monday, Feb 28, 2011 at 09:24
We tried TCIS (club member as well) and they were at least 20% dearer than GIO. GOI also gave full off road comprehensive coverage and an agreed value of $72K which included $15K of accessories for a 2005 4.2TD Toyota 100 series. Fully covered even if in the middle of nowhere and not even on a track. This fact was fully checked and confirmed. Not just by believing the sales staff.

Cost was $840. TCIS was over $1000.

We also have a Hannibal tent that was declared as an accessory and not insured as a separate camping gear item as it is bolted to the car. Try the slide on as an accessory not as a separate bit of camping gear. That cut the premium back but the tent is still fully covered.

FollowupID: 719192

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Monday, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:29

Monday, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:29
A slide-on qualifies as mobile home and you can become a member of the cmca
and qualify for Lumley. Ken Tame represents the insurer for CMCA members.
You most likely need an evaluation, but thats easy too. A guy in Queensland does that for Lumley all the time over the net. Google it ..
They insure the vehicle and the camper and will be a lot cheaper.
We have an American truck and a slide-on truck camper and are insured for over 200K fully comprehensive with contents and the insurance is cheaper than the truck alone with others. If you "Toolbox" qualifies for a slide-on camper needs the be seen, but it should by definition.

good luck
AnswerID: 446857

Reply By: whale - Monday, Feb 28, 2011 at 16:35

Monday, Feb 28, 2011 at 16:35
we tried TCIS and had to wait over a week for a quote on the caravan and cruiser. both quotes basically told us the insurer and the price which was way over the quotes of other insurers plus we had requested prices on contents and on both occasions was never given a price. so gave up. all the other insurers it was instant price over the phone with tcis had to download forms and email them back then wait, so decided to go with another company and had the pds etc back by snail mail before we even got there quote. so gave up, reported it to our 4wd club at the time as well. in the end we went cil and cgu at about 200 bucks cheaper.
AnswerID: 446891

Reply By: greg8049 - Monday, Feb 28, 2011 at 19:47

Monday, Feb 28, 2011 at 19:47
ok just a up date....CIL wont insure it because it does not have a kitchen and sleeping quaters
So go figure,,,the slide on has a slide out kitchen and a maggiolina roof top that sleeps two.....
so who like insurance companies??
AnswerID: 446921

Follow Up By: greg8049 - Monday, Feb 28, 2011 at 19:49

Monday, Feb 28, 2011 at 19:49
they also asked for pictures of the unit i send them through for them to look at
FollowupID: 719264

Follow Up By: _gmd_pps - Monday, Feb 28, 2011 at 20:05

Monday, Feb 28, 2011 at 20:05
oh I c
then it wont qualify as a mobile home either. forget the cmca then.
Insure it as an oversized toolbox under your house insurance .. lol
good luck
FollowupID: 719267

Reply By: OilyPaj - Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 14:15

Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 14:15
Be very careful when listing items as an accessory to the vehicle, because if you have an accident & the vehicle is a "write off" the accessories belong to the insurance company, even if the accessory is not damaged or are recoverable and repairable.
My son recently had his vehicle written off when the front of the vehicle was hit.
He is ok but he was not able to recover a replacement sound system, even though we offered to put the original back in. Because the sub woofer was only attached to the cargo barrier with an okky strap he was able to have it as it was not permanently attached to the vehicle. He could not have the amp which was bolted the the cargo barrier!. ( We kept the stereo face & the remote, so it was of no value to them!!! )
Whilst you may save in insurance costs, you may not save in replacement costs.
Also, if an item is no longer available & you REALLY WANT THE ITEM you could loose it.
If an item is not PERMANENTLY attached to the vehicle and/or you "take it" out of the vehicle, you may be able to insure the item under a different policy, EG a household policy extension.
A GPS is used in a vehicle and is attached, usually via a suction mount. The GPS could also be removed from the vehicle to be used whilst on a walk or hike.
This would probably not be considered to be a permanent vehicle fixture.
If your fridge is used in the vehicle and also used out side of the vehicle at home or in a camp, it may not be considered to be a permanent fixture.
The amount of time an item is in and out of the vehicle may have a bearing on the definition of "permanent"
Confirm all definitions with your insurer before making a decision on price alone.
Hope this helps with this complicated subject
AnswerID: 448182

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)