Clubs in the Search Enigine

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 12:39
ThreadID: 8470 Views:1726 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Everyone,

I am very un-impressed with the lack of care & input from the majority of clubs into the Business Search engine. We sent every club in Australia letters and offer FREE listing in the system. At one stage we had several hundred clubs listed in the system. Then due to slackness someone does not hit the renew button once a year. We even email the link for the renewal to the person who is listed in the club as the email contact to come back and hit the update button. I do not like to see posts in the forum for a function that should be managed in the Search Engine, we do not charge clubs for this service all we want is to ensure that once a year the details are checked to ensure they are still correct.

Mind you this is not an issue with all clubs, some of them ensure that the details are updated and keep the renewal functions running.

Any ideas or input on how we can fix this issue?
Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 12:44

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 12:44
Additional, I have just added the Business Search Engine selection box at the bottom of the forum index page. Please make sure you check it out periodically as we are adding new businesses and clubs to the ExplorOz.com network every day.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
AnswerID: 36996

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 13:10

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 13:10
Since its a free service, just leave it as it is, and maybe an email to them 2 times a year to check with them if its correct, specially around June AGM time. I wouldnt bother calling them..

Amazing how easy it would be for them to just send a mail aint it

Other way to check details is to check the association sites, but thats more work for you..

Other than that, not much you can do.
AnswerID: 36998

Reply By: chopper - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 16:53

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 16:53
David, I am the secretary of my club (and have been for 14 months) and I do not recall getting anything from you.

As a site user I am sure that I would have taken action, if I had recieved a request for information from you.

More than happy to do so now, You have my email, please let me know what info you require, thanks
AnswerID: 37026

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:24

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:24
Chopper,

It is easy go to the Advertising menu and select Add Your Business. Enter the details your name, club name, phone and hit go. The system will send you a welcome letter in section two click the link (Setup Business Now) and you will be presented with a screen asking you to select the campaign type hit club and the system will promt you to do the rest, this is fill in you address, website, description of club etc etc, you will then be asked to select you region and then you are done. Should not take more than 5mins. Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 26778

Follow Up By: Dave from Fraser Coast Four Wheel Drive Club - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 21:54

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 21:54
David

okay, followed all the steps, (and my name has changed!!) but i also got this error

ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bb9'

Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are in conflict with one another.

/Customer/LinkDetailsUpdate.asp, line 1329

guessing that you can sort this out.

Also, there is not really a rgion listed for this part of the world, you have nothing listed between Gold/sunshine coasts and FNQ, can I suggest adding Wide Bay, Capricorn Coast, Gulf and NQ, that should cover most people in QLD (you've already got Outback QLD)

chopper
FollowupID: 26797

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 22:00

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 22:00
Dave - Please explain your name has changed? You are now logged on as the club and this is why your screenname is different etc. Just logoff the Club and use your visitor if this is what you wish to do.

As for the software error thanks I will look at it - I editted this program yestrday and may have left a little bug in it. I will address this now.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 26799

Follow Up By: Dave from Fraser Coast Four Wheel Drive Club - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 22:04

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 22:04
Very good, I have just sent you our club logo.

Thanks, Chopper
FollowupID: 26800

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 22:16

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 22:16
Chopper,

I have fixed the software bug now and it should be working perfoectly I have adjusted you listing to put you in the region. I will speak to Michelle I think we should just change the region name to QLD Coast - this will fix the problem I think. It is a much harder exercise to add a region to the system so we will look at changing the name. Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 26803

Reply By: Member - Eric- Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 20:01

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 20:01
David I hope there isnt any problems with us addind a post on day trip or get togethers we do ? sorry maby we should have asked first , not club ebvents just forum users meeting up and having fun , Venus Bay
AnswerID: 37062

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 20:07

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 20:07
No it is not a problem Eric, It just bugs me that we offer these functions for clubs for free and go to the trouble to setup the system to handle it and they do it once and then it all goes away.

I am still working on the Members Meeting point concept to reduce the load on the forum but have not had the time to get to it yet. I will certainly tell you if you do something I do not like.

Also do not get me wrong you can ask the question in the forum it just UPSETS me that the people do not value the service.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 26790

Reply By: Rob from Land Rover Owners Club Of Wa Inc - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 21:42

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 21:42
David,

If you put a link to the WA4WDA web site on your Home page you will be providing access to the web sites and / or addresses of the vast majority of the 4WD clubs in WA. Alternatively add a tab for Clubs to your Home page and just list the State Association web sites on it.

The WA site gets updated almost daily by the association so you wouldn't have to do any more work on it.

It seems to me that this would solve most of your problems in WA.

The site address is www.wa4wda.com.au and right now it's down for some reason.

Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 37080

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 21:56

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 21:56
Yeah we have been thinking about this also I will pass this over to Michelle. We sort of guessed that the clubs would want some additonal promotion on ExplorOz as you can see poeple ask the question here so my thoughts was to provide the answer here.

We thought that we would be giving the clubs independant access to our system to promote themselves and run additional promotional functions that the association sites do not give. I really thought that the clubs would welcome the opportunity to be placed in front of nearly 1/4 million readers per month for the simple function of setting up the listing. Lets face it a lot of clubs spend the time to go to shows etc to drum up membership. Why not promote the club on this site that has the largest targeted readership of 4WD owners in Australia.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 26798

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 23:02

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 23:02
David
Apart from the problem of the Clubs not responding/updating there info - might I sugest that you add a 'button' for Clubs.

I have to admit to not realizing there was a Clubs list ! - and I certainly wouldn't have thought of looking/searching under the 'Business Search' button !

All makes Sydney Club

I will pass this 'post' onto my Club.Subaru Forester
size isn't everything !
AnswerID: 37093

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 23:26

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 23:26
Excellent suggestion - I will work something out and make it so.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 26820

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 00:16

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 00:16
not bagging any clubs but 2 in vic must never check theit site e-mail as i wanted some more details as to other club affiliation a while back and a query to a for sale section and another for trip notes amend ment and no answer in 3 months?

glad im not a paid member of any club(not that time ever permits me that luxury.

ahhh i miss reality1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
AnswerID: 37107

Sponsored Links