radio interference

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 01, 2011 at 19:01
ThreadID: 84706 Views:4389 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Gday to all

Hope someone can help me out Got a 12v fridge/freezer and car radio in the caravan if the fridge is running we get horrible interference any ideas please

Me Missis Me Mad dog n me
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tanka (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2011 at 19:11

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2011 at 19:11
I would make sure your fridge is earthed well with a cable as thick as the power wire, to something connected to the chassis, or the chassis itself. If that does not help you could try fitting a suppressor to the radio, you could get one of these from your local auto sparky at a reasonable cost, or from somewhere like Jaycar.

Cheers Tanka.
AnswerID: 447024

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2011 at 20:18

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2011 at 20:18
Probably should provide more information - how its wired e.g. direct to battery, or via a cig lighter plug, also and type and model no of fridge.

1 reason for this is that some early model Waeco's had a recall fix for that issue.

If its not that then begin finding out source of problem - which radio band does it interfere on, and then , can you hear interference when aerial is disconnected etc

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 447029

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2011 at 06:47

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2011 at 06:47
It's an Engel yeah?
AnswerID: 447058

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2011 at 09:00

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2011 at 09:00
Notso perfik,

Waeco fridges have a long history of creating interference on the AM and HF bands. This was looked into some years back by valued member Footloose (sadly now passed on) who proposed and discussed a fix in thread 31254. The problem was also discussed on the Yahoo Codan group where Footloose was also active. From that group (probably from Footy himself) comes this diagram for a filter which was introduced into the power lead, preferably close to the Waeco's electronics assembly. (The Waeco uses a 24V compressor and the interference comes from the 12V to 24V conversion.)

Image Could Not Be Found

Similar filters are available from electronic supply places, but look for one suitable for say 10 amps, not low current mains filters.

HTH

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 447065

Follow Up By: Member - notso perfik - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2011 at 12:08

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2011 at 12:08
Thanks for all your replies

My mistake never gave enough info
its a 220 litre Kelvinater thats had all the innards taken out and been fittedwith a Danfoss 12 v motor hope i havent created too much havoc
Thanks
Mi Missis MI Maddog and me
FollowupID: 719408

Follow Up By: Member - notso perfik - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2011 at 12:18

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2011 at 12:18
Also forgot to mention that the fridge is connected direct to the batteries via a separate switch and in-line fuse. Will take on board all info given and check each one. Will let you know how I go on at a later date. Thanks all once again.

MI Missis Mi Mad dog and me
FollowupID: 719409

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2011 at 12:25

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2011 at 12:25
Waeco uses Danfoss compressors. Don't know what would have been used in your 12V upgrade, but the above filtering may be relevant. Suggest use an AM portable radio and move it close to suspect wiring. It's probably radiating from the wiring, so a filter deep inside the fridge should help, though mabe not enough. A filter on the radio power lead may also help - depends on whether it's being fed into the radio through the power wiring or via the aerial.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 719410

Sponsored Links