Internet Providers

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 15:16
ThreadID: 8472 Views:1435 Replies:12 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Not the typical 4wd question but am presently with OZEMAIL but have noticed that TPG have a similar service for $8.00 cheaper. Does anyone here use them and if so are they reliable as a provider.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jamcage - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 15:29

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 15:29
Chris

I have used TPG in Canberra for nearly three years and no problems. Sister in law uses TPG in Penrith last 12 months also no problems.

Not sure what area you are in though.

Jason
AnswerID: 37015

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 16:24

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 16:24
Hi Chris, I've been using TPG for about three years and recently went over to their ADSL deal.

Have been very happy with the service. The system has gone done once or twice over this time but compared to the hassle’s people seem to have with other ISP's they are pretty good.
Cheers
Alex
AnswerID: 37021

Reply By: howesy - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 17:05

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 17:05
Go to your search engine and type in "whirlpool forum" It is a forum that goes into internet providers big time. They have TPG as one of the most consistantly bad performers and one of the most complained about providers. Most complaints related to speed. To back it up I was with them for some time and since I left them I have never looked back my connections are consistantly faster and more reliable. the best two providers I found on a dial up for speed and reliability were Ozemail and Optusnet so I suggest you stay where you are. Do yourself a favour check out the ISP forums.
AnswerID: 37030

Reply By: srowlandson - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 17:57

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 17:57
I have set dozens of clients up on HEAPS of different Isp's Braodband ADSL plans.

TPG seems EXTREMELY slow, with a high contention ratio.

just becuase you have a 256 or 512 connection, doesn't mean that is how fast it will run. you have 10 -20 other users 'sharing' the same datablock.

Glad i am out the ISP game now, after working in it for 8 years....

Steve
AnswerID: 37034

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:18

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:18
You are not wrong there Steve. I was dumb enough to believe that 256 would make things better but not so. I have dial-up and my separate internet phone line is 8000bps slower than my ordinary line. Then I am with Bigpond who are having mega problems at the moment.....sigh...you can't win. Maybe this internet thing will just fade away like Beta Video machines and we can all go and play outside.

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 26775

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:12

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:12
Chris, you must have been reading my mind. I just this moment finished searching the net for ISP providers and have just about decided to go with Westnet (WA based provider). The last 3 weeks with Bigpond have been the most frustrating, infuriating and pathetic I've ever experienced in over 10 years of email/internet usage.

:o| MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://www.users.bigpond.com/flatdog
AnswerID: 37039

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:33

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 18:33
Go to optus cable it's great mate lolRegards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 37049

Reply By: Member - Andrew (Bris) - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 20:15

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 20:15
Try internode. Adelaide based. National service. Speed great. Had great connection. Was previously with optusnet, but the service was not reliable, and support staff kept giving conflicting reasons for the problems i was having, and conflicting solutions. Gave up on them in frustration.
AnswerID: 37065

Reply By: mik*2 - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 22:55

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2003 at 22:55
I'm with TPG and the service would best be described as average. Having said that, the speed is OK most of the time and for $17.99/month you can't complain. Remember, anything to do with computers goes the old saying **you get what you pay for** I'm going adsl now with a company called swiftel. They are WA based with services in syd and melb. They are the best option I have found and have been getting good reveiws here in Perth. check em out , swiftel.com.au

cheers
mike
AnswerID: 37091

Reply By: CHRIS - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 05:21

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 05:21
Thanks for all your answers. Am now in the position of not really knowing what to do, as there seems to be some conflicting views. Will try TPG dial up and hope for the best. But as you say cheaper is not always the way to go, but I suppose if you don't try you don't get.
AnswerID: 37115

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:12

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:12
I am currently using Optus cable and have no complaints about it in the 3 years i've had it. Obviously though, this service is not available everywhere. I have a mate who has ADSL through iinet(who recently merged with IHUG) and he is getting great performance from them.
AnswerID: 37133

Reply By: Diane - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 17:34

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 17:34
I tried westnet a couple of years back and found them really slow, actually too slow. It would often take 5 or 6 attempts at loading a single webpage before you could see it. Then at the end of the month they sent me a $67 bill on top of my monthly fee for excess downloads (5X) for the priviledge of using their inadequate process.

Since then I have used 'timegate systems' in Perth and I am very happy with the service, I have never ever had an excess fee from them and I could not praise them highly enough. They do a great job!!! Not sure if they are Aussie wide or not thou.
AnswerID: 37213

Reply By: isanders - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 18:23

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 18:23
Mate,

ADSL seems to be pretty contentious at the moment - I'm on Internode 512 plan at home and its pretty good - but your question seems to be more aimed at dial up. I have had dial up accounts with Ozemail, Bigpond, Alphalink and TPG - TPG are without doubt the cheapest ($17 per month, unlimited hours, unlimited downloads) - I travel the country a fair bit and have dialled into their POPs in all capital cities, and some regional centres.

I recommend the dial up services to friends and family all the time, for value for money - AND I don't work for them ;-)

Good luck mate

Ivan
AnswerID: 37217

Sponsored Links