GQ Patrol air con wasn't working right and now is frezzing findout how

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 08:54
ThreadID: 84747 Views:9404 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi, we have a GQ patrol and have always had trouble with the aircon not working the way we thought it should, we have had it regassed and a new belt fitted and only works a bit sometimes and never what we would think it should and the fan didn't seem to blow out much air. so recently hubby thought he would take out the fan to see if it needed the blades cleaned as it was also a bit noisy, so popped out the glovebox and took out the fan which did need a clean, he noticed the bird cage (or thermostat cage) and this was covered in fluff and bits of hair so he removed that to clean it, then looked in behind where the cage was and there an area that was chocker full of leaves, fluff and bits, the fins on the evaporative cooler were also clogged up (about 90% clogged) and looked corroded, so got all the leaves and bits out and used a bit of wire with a small hook on the end to pluck out the bits from the fins, we used the cleaner to suck up most of the bits and left it open with a heater blowing on the fins to dry it out, then used a hard toothbrush taped on a stick to clean off the rest of the fins then vacced it out again and put it back. the difference it made is totally amazing, our GQ is now an ice block it now works better than we ever thought it would, so we thought we would share this with others as it a relatively easy and no expense job with great results.
chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tricky Dicky (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 09:47

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 09:47
thanks for that info, i will check mine out this weekend as its not really as cold as i would like

Dick
AnswerID: 447189

Follow Up By: gonebush SA - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 11:32

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 11:32
our fan speed now on the 1st setting is more than we were geting on the 4th setting, hope it works out for you
chris.
FollowupID: 719501

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 12:30

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 12:30
Gday
Now that my wife has seen your writings, i now have a job that has to be done .
Thanks Chris
Murray

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 447202

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 20:14

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 20:14
Hi Gonebush. The "birdcage" part you are refering to is called the Evaporator. It has cold refrigerant passing through coils on the inside and cools the air passing through the fins on the outside. I have seen these items really badly matted with dog/animal hair from owners carrying their pets in the car with them, to the extent that there is even a bad smell from the hair. If you can fit a "Cabin Filter" to the air intake side this will help to alliviate the problem in the future. Cheers,Bob

AnswerID: 447255

Follow Up By: gonebush SA - Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 15:16

Friday, Mar 04, 2011 at 15:16
hi, the bird cage part i'm talking about isn't the evaporator, it's a small cage like thing and inside it there is a (controller of some sort, i think it is). the fins i am talking about are on the evaporator.
chris
FollowupID: 719637

Reply By: Member - Ray (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 21:53

Thursday, Mar 03, 2011 at 21:53
Oops. showed the warden this post, now I have a job to do as well.

Ray
AnswerID: 447277

Sponsored Links