fraser island

hi all just after some more advice for a trip planned for fraser isl around march april
as this will be my 1st magor trip in gq patrol and withg limited camp gear (tent,swag,small bbq) would it be best to pick a spot and do day trips or keep packin up and camp some where diff each night goin 4 roughly 7 days.
are matrax worth buying or will a snatch strap nd shovel (no winch) get me out of most situation
any advice will be appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 05, 2011 at 10:10

Saturday, Mar 05, 2011 at 10:10
G’day Stuart,
I’m a regular to Fraser and being your first trip I would suggest setting up camp on one of the numerous spots available on the Eastern Beach. They refer to the beach camping as ‘informal’ camping and you can camp anywhere in the designated areas. There are what they call ‘formal’ camping areas that you need to specifically booked. Pretty well all of the inland tracks can be turned into loops where you can explore for the day always exiting in a different spot on the beach returning to camp. If you do want to set up camp every day it certainly wouldn’t be a problem along the beach. The problem with beach camping is you have to be totally self sufficient… There’s no facilities in the informal areas.

You see people bogged regularly enough… I could guarantee 99.9% due to wrong tyre pressure. I did it myself once on my first trip but have never bogged since. I do take Maxtrax everywhere off road and have only used them once… on top of big red… they were brilliant… no digging no other assistance. You will usually find another vehicle to snatch you out if required.

You’ll love the place.
Myles.
AnswerID: 447394

Follow Up By: stuart m1 - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2011 at 16:44

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2011 at 16:44
thanx al on the info will buy maxtrax and snatch strap to go withem sounds like dam good place found out yesterday the redunacy iam am waitin on will be late april so that leaves plenty of time to prepare saw a couple of dvd on the place and cant wait will post pics when back
cheers
FollowupID: 719978

Reply By: dereki - Saturday, Mar 05, 2011 at 12:50

Saturday, Mar 05, 2011 at 12:50
Yep, what Miles said...

The island is doable from a central location and day trips. Maybe split the trip into two halves, south section and northern. Camp say 2-3 days in the south, get all the tourist things there done, then head north of indian head and spend the rest of the time there?? Just depends on what you want to see and do.

I have used Maxtrax once on Fraser but only at the less visited places where it can be a while before anyone else turns up and the sand hot, and soft. The regularly traveled places are usually well maintained and easy going with plenty of people willing to help snatch.
Others (Ford territory with 40 profile road tyres) have used my maxtrax with success on Fraser.

Are you travelling with others? Are you planning on doing some of the less used inland tracks?

The reason I ask is last time I was there, the track we were on was not in good repair and I managed to get hung up on roots and the wheels just could not grip enough on the roots and sand. Maxtrax failed (not enough grip on the roots and got shot out the back of the car... ) I ended up breaking out the hand winch. Now... I knew the situation was a bit hit and miss, I had passed the hazard a few weeks before, and only proceeded knowing I had enough equipment with me to get past. I did not see another car on the track for the rest of the trip to camp (sunset) so without the winch we would have been there for a long time.

D
AnswerID: 447399

Reply By: CSeaJay - Saturday, Mar 05, 2011 at 18:04

Saturday, Mar 05, 2011 at 18:04
I agree with both the above

But keep in mind the tides. You need to be back at your informal camp before high tide. So if that is not possible or cuts to much off your day by having to return to your camp when the beach is drivable, then if I was you I'd simply take my kit with me, specially given that you are travelling light
AnswerID: 447410

Reply By: Member - Greg H (NT) - Sunday, Mar 06, 2011 at 12:17

Sunday, Mar 06, 2011 at 12:17
Gidday Stuart,

Be prepared and go and enjoy the trip. I based myself at Cathedral Beach and did day trips from there.
I also bought a set of Maxtrax and I reckon they are good value. I have never used them for my own vehicle yet (just jinxed myself) but have helped several people out of a jam who were unprepared and the only way for me to progress was to get them out first so that I could go around them.

Cheers
Greg
Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 447444

Sponsored Links