Removal of Pre-Cleaner on a GQ

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:06
ThreadID: 8493 Views:1822 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have just removed the Pre-Cleaner in my GQ and plumbed it directly from the snorkel to the air cleaner. As a result of this I had a very noticeable increase in horsepower and torque

My question is the Pre-Cleaner had an opening at the bottom in the event that any
water entered the system it could drain to the outside. My Safari snorkel is good at separating the air from water at the head end but my concern is that if any water did get into the engine and caused hydraulic lockup and thus big $$$$.

Is there anything I can do in the air intake system to bleed any water off.

Thanks in advance

Linga Longa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David N. - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:59

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:59
Think not, but I wouldn't be too concerned.
(I removed my precleaner from my TD42 many years ago- amazing improvement in power and much less black smoke. The original setup was FAR too restrictive)
The water removal you were talking about is only for a dribble of water.... rubber orifice smaller than a 5c piece.
If you ever got enough in the inlet to cause hydraulic lock then such a device would make no difference.
Engines can actually handle a significant amount of water (eg: steady heavy rain whilst running )
If you were fording a creek and ingested a lot with the engine running, IMHO nothing would save your donk...
AnswerID: 37140

Reply By: Big Trev - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 16:51

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 16:51
Linga Longa, we have a 1989 Ford Patrol / Nissan Maverick TD42, and it never came with a primary air filter, just a "dust spinner" (an empty cylinder with a dust removal hole at the bottom). So I wouldn't be concerned. If you do a bleep load of dusty work certainly consider putting it back in, but mind you we have been north of Birdsville with ours, in some pretty heavy bull-dust and never had a problem. The trick is to either buy an after market foam/oil filter and keep it regularly cleaned or clean (even replace on the road) the standard one frequently.
AnswerID: 37205

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 19:17

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 19:17
I've done it... it is easy as hell... Pipe from Purple pig... $20..

I noticed no difference what so ever in power and torque though even with the turbo

the bit about water, if its pi$$ing down rain, turn the snorkel head around backwards..

Also where the snorkel and the pipe to the airbox joins, there is a 1in high lip. The water will go here and not thru.. It shouldnt rain that much to hydro your donk....
AnswerID: 37222

Sponsored Links