Prado Turbo diesel automatic

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 13:29
ThreadID: 8500 Views:2015 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, can anyone give me an opinion on the new Prado compared to say a 2001 model. I am looking to buy either a new or secondhand Prado and am trying to work out the pros and cons. I would like to take the vehicle to Cape York next year.
Are there any common faults in either the new or secondhand version?
Is the height going to pose a problem with the new model?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: srowlandson - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 14:12

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 14:12
I took my KZJ120 Prado GZ to cape this year.

Fairly stock form, only having 285 MTR's and LF240's and dual battereis.

It did it with ease. Another 120 series completely stock also made it with no trouble.

A set of 265 or 285's and aftermarket suspension will make it a great touring vehicle. And the 120 Series has a lot of beefing up in the front end form the previous model, and you only lose a few mm of clearance underneath

Steve
AnswerID: 37178

Reply By: Phil G - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 14:35

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 14:35
I've got the previous 90 series TD.

Pluses with the 120 series:
Wider track and a little quieter and smoother
Stronger driveline (esp front diff)
Better brakes
20 more litres of fuel
Better sidesteps than previous model
Slightly wider - lower centre of gravity
Slightly more room inside

Pluses with the 90series:
16 inch wheels - huge choice of common tyres
15mm more ground clearance
Has roof gutters for rack, aerial etc
Narrower - few less scratches on those narrow bush tracks
?nicer front styling, with better looking bar - subject to taste!
two fuel tank gauges
Looks easier to fit home made stuff to tailgate (like table etc)

Both are excellent vehicles. But basically the 120 series is a bit more refined and more on-road orientated. I'm hanging onto my 90series.

AnswerID: 37183

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 20:38

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 20:38
Buy a new car and lose $10k+ as you wheel it out the door...

Buy second hand you get someone elses problems...
AnswerID: 37230

Reply By: peter16 - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 23:10

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 23:10
Hi Wal,
Today I ordered a new Prado Turbo Diesel auto after long research, soul searching and schmoozing the accountant. The Pajero, Discovery and Jackeroo were dismissed along the way for a variety of reasons not relevant here. That left me looking for a used or new Prado. My rationale for ordering new went as follows:
-2nd hand Turbo Diesel Prado's in auto proved to be as rare as hen's teeth. People who have them seem to keep them. Manuals are a bit easier to get particularly as ex-Gov (if you like white, or white, or white......) and can be a good buy at auction (after you have kicked a few dealers to the side)
-I could not find a good second hand Turbo Diesel Prado that I could be happy with for less than $40,000, some were in the low to mid 40's. I got the new one for under $53K
-As it will be primarily my work truck (towing tool trailer) I'll be leasing through the business and value retention after 3-4 years is great as demonstrated by the price of used Turbo Diesel Prado's
-The same engine as been tweaked up a bit giving a bit more power and (if I am to believe a mate who has one) economy.
Whatever you buy, there is little that goes wrong with them as far as I know. I can vouch for a 1999 petrol model that took us all around the place without missing a beat for 4 years.
Good luck.
AnswerID: 37248

Reply By: Graeme - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 15:02

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 15:02
I drive a 2000 GXL auto petrol & think it's a great vehicle after a couple of small mods.
Australian 4WD Monthly in their Best 4WDs of 2003 really rubbish the new Prado - it finished 7th & last of those that finished the course (1 vehicle didn't)! The editorial (page 11) says in part "... the latest Prado isn't a patch on the old one.'
In the end, what you want to do with it (how you want to use it - off-road v on-road) probably is the key.
I reckon a 100 series Petrol for 52+K is worth thinking about.
Just my biased opinion of course :)
AnswerID: 37306

Reply By: Rodney - Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 20:41

Sunday, Nov 16, 2003 at 20:41
Accronding to the annual review done by 4x4 montly The Prado has gone from top of the pack, to the bottom of the pack thanks to its new model. I would personally go for the older prado, they have exceptional ground clearance, a very nice low range and have proven to be a reliable car. The new prado has 17inch rims, I wish people luck trying to purchase tyres outside the cbd. The front approach angle isn't too crash hot, neither is the ram over angle. If your after a new four wheel drive and don't want to go with a patrol or landcruiser, then you can't step passed the new diesel pajero. Its standard active stability control and traction control have made it a far more capable off road than the prado.
AnswerID: 37499

Sponsored Links