Planning a six months trip form Canberra to Western Australia.

Submitted: Friday, Mar 18, 2011 at 09:41
ThreadID: 85071 Views:2351 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We (Sue Ellen and Ray) have a Prado plus Off Road Camper Trailer and now planning a 6 months trip starting from Canberra in mid April 2011 to Bourke, Mt Isa, Lawn Hill, Kimberley, Port Headland, Pilbara, Karratha, Exmouth,Carnarvon, Geraldton, Perth, Esperance, Nullarbor, Streaky Bay SA and then back along the Murray to Canberra probably around November 2011. Our itinerary is very flexible and we would very much like to team up with a travelling buddy or buddies for parts of the trip especially in the more remote areas.
We would love to hear from anyone who may be interested. Also great to hear from anyone with suggestions for special places to visit (or places to avoid)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bravo Man - Friday, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:18

Friday, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:18
Hi sebrec....I am planning a similar trip and was also hoping to do a tag along with other people for some sections.
Would be interested to talk more
you can email me if you like .....petercurtis290@hotmail.com

Regards Peter
AnswerID: 448544

Follow Up By: Member - Ray and Sue-Ellen - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 08:57

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 08:57
Hi Bravo Man. We are still working on our mudmaps and doing a bit more research on road conditions around the Lawn Hill/Kimberley area. We will be in contact again during the week.

Ray and Sue Ellen
FollowupID: 720945

Reply By: Member - Matt L (WA) - Friday, Mar 18, 2011 at 11:42

Friday, Mar 18, 2011 at 11:42
Hi sebrec and Bravo man, if i where you i would be doing it the other way round ,by going south first across to W.A and then north . If you do it that way you will miss all the boggy spots and wet and deep water. April /May this year is to wet to be going to far North. cheers anyway.
AnswerID: 448552

Follow Up By: Member - Ray and Sue-Ellen - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 08:44

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 08:44
Matt - Good advice. We will do some more homework on the conditions - have read about some flooding in the Kimberley's. Our plan was to get to this area in early May after doing Isa and Lawn Hill.
FollowupID: 720940

Reply By: DoubleJ - Friday, Mar 18, 2011 at 13:30

Friday, Mar 18, 2011 at 13:30
Another way to vary your journey would be to go from Norseman to Kalgoorlie-Leonora-Leinster, across through to Sandstone to Mt Magnet where you can choose to go up the Great Northern Hwy through the Murchison to the Pilbara or else go through to coast to Geraldton and up the North West Coastal Hwy. Happy travelling.
AnswerID: 448558

Follow Up By: Uncle-Laurie - Friday, Mar 18, 2011 at 14:42

Friday, Mar 18, 2011 at 14:42
That was the route we took in 2008, and enjoyed it, the weather was great to us as well.
FollowupID: 720811

Follow Up By: Member - Ray and Sue-Ellen - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 08:49

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 08:49
Thanks for the suggestion, in view of Matt's comments re the wet up top in April/May we are looking at some options so will include your suggestion as one of these. Our luck with the weather was not good last year when we did outback NSW and SA- lots of wet camps to pack up. Thanks for response and encouragement.

Ray and Sue Ellen
FollowupID: 720943

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 18, 2011 at 14:38

Friday, Mar 18, 2011 at 14:38
Hi Sue Ellen and Ray

You have picked some fabulous places to see, but a huge trip for only six months. The distance may be doable, but it would take more driving than sightseeing and enjoying these wonderful places. I prefer to drive less and see more, leaving the rest for another time, although we do keep moving due to time constraints. Washing days, shopping days, and waiting for parts when there is a breakage can all add time to a trip and need to be allowed for.

Examples of our travel time frames can be seen at http://www.australiasomuchtosee.com/planning1.htm (sorry insert link function not working today)

While travelogues of the Kimberley in 2008 are on the website. Earlier trips, and our trip mainly through NT and Qld in 2009 are not there as yet, but you can see where we went in the brief outline.http://www.australiasomuchtosee.com/australiasomuchtosee_002.htm

I don't think you have any remote areas where their won't be heaps of other traffic listed in you itinerary.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 448562

Follow Up By: Member - Ray and Sue-Ellen - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 08:54

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 08:54
Great to hear from you Motherhen. Yes it is always a dilemma fitting in what you want to do into the available time. We try to limit trips between camps to about 400k's and then find a good spot and radiate out from there. We can appreciate the West is a lot different to our previous trips to Cape York, around outback NSW and SA where places are closer together. We are doing our mudmaps now so we will mindful of your words.
FollowupID: 720944

Sponsored Links