canning stock route trip

Hi All,
we plan on doing the CSR this year from mid sept to mid oct (30 days in total) beginning the journey in Brisbane, our route will be Briz to Quilpie,Thargomindah on to Camerons corner, then Strezleckie track to Lyndhurst, lower Oodnadatta to Coober pedy, on to Laverton via Anne Beadell hwy, on to Wiluna and the CSR, then Halls creek, Alice springs via Tanami track then on to Winton via Plenty hwy. through Barcaldine, Toowoomba and home again.
Has anyone done this trip before as I would like to know if enough time allowed (pretty much a novice to this kind of trip) to complete trek in allotted time and keep vehicles in tact, will be 2 x 100 series cruisers (1 diesel 1 petrol) and 1 80 series diesel (mine is the thirsty petrol).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 15:06

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 15:06
Hi,

You'll be pushing it. It could be done however you will be driving all day every day and you wont have much time at all to stop and look around. If you're a novice I would suggest doing a smaller trial trip first to gain a bit of experience.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 448735

Follow Up By: docsr&r - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 16:21

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 16:21
Yeah, that's my opinion too, trip leader experienced and confident, although taking time to smell the roses (aka bull dust) is an integral part of any trip.
as for the novice in me, have completed many small trips (non desert though)
and appreciate others view and opinion.

happy travels
Doc
FollowupID: 720992

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 18:51

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 18:51
I agree with equinox, Also it will be very warm in Oct/Nov so rushing the trip might cause problems.
Cheers Dave.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 721009

Reply By: Member - Mike - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 15:55

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 15:55
Hi docsr&r
Agree with equinox - 30 days is not enough time to experience all the sights along the Anne Beadell & CSR. The last time we did the CSR we were on it for 20 days and still didn't all the sights, although I believe that The Calvert Range is now off limits - pity it had some of the best aboriginal paintings along the CSR. I hope that vandalism wasn't the cause of them being off limts. Remember to stop and have a rest for a day or two, continual driving for a set time is when fatigue etc will cut in. Remember also to check out the articles here on exploroz re outback travelling.
Have a safe trip
Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 448738

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 17:33

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 17:33
Mike, Doc,

Yes the Calvert’s are off limits. It wasn’t vandalism rather the lack of control over access to the sites. To give an example, people would drive into the gorge passed the main camp area to get closer to the water. This area was restricted (although somewhat haphazardly) yet people still insisted in removing the rocks etc indicating it was off limits and drive in to camp there. There is also some sensitivity over some of the areas being “mens” sites and in tribal custom, off limits to women. This caused concern to some of the remaining elders. We can only hope that suitable negotiations with the T/O’s will allow visitors to this incredible area one day soon.

P.S. Doc, yep I’d agree with Equinox and other posters that indeed you’re doing it too quickly. Quick trips along the Anne Beadell, Gunbarrel and Canning always end in tears.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 720999

Follow Up By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 07:43

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 07:43
Hi all
Yes the Calverts are off limits at the moment - however due to negotiations under way at the moment and by the time you go on your trip access may again be allowed but under permit only and fees will be applicable. Its mooted that one permit to do the whole CSR is being considered and the Calvert leg to be part of that.

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 721048

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 16:38

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 16:38
Ideally it takes around 5 to 6 weeks from the East coast to comfortably do the Canning. By including additional outback routes like the Oodnadatta track and Anne Beadell Hwy you would need to drive some very long days, not stop at many of the attractions & do very few side trips.
I'd drop off the Anne Beadell at a minimum & include some faster transit sections to allow you to travel the Canning at a slower pace & include a few rest days, important in case you have a mechanical breakdown or need to detour for weather. Your other option would be to do the Canning 1st from North to South then see how much time you end up with.
Have a look in the Treks section to get an idea what the travel times are for the major sections you are planning to see. You'll soon find they add up to more than 30 days.
Cheers Craig.........................
AnswerID: 448741

Follow Up By: docsr&r - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 17:03

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 17:03
Thanks for the advice Crackles, will raise it for discussion at our next beer and bulls--t session.
at the risk of being inundated with howls of protest, we are driving TOYOTAS so no thought of mechanical breakdowns and they walk on water (I'm told) (hehe)
on a serious note, it was the trek notes that caused me to pose the question, 5-7 days for Anne B, 16-25 for CSR, 2-4 for strezleckie, your'e right the maths do not stack up in my favour, and as mentioned above will discuss with other trip members to see if we can streamline the amount of time behind the wheel.

happy travels

Doc
FollowupID: 720995

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 17:33

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 17:33
Doc,

Have to agree with the above comments. Provided it all goes according to plan, not impossible,......but...... You will do a lot more driving than sightseeing and have very little chance to absorb the fascinating country you'll pass through. Many talk of "doing" the Canning, but far better to actually experience it, and that takes time. The other parts of your itinerary also deserve time.

I know of one commercial tour operator who factors in a lay-day about every six days to allow for vehicle and human maintenance and, especially, to break the drive,drive,drive that otherwise can take over a trip. This is a good plan. Also, driving long hours each day isn't much fun after the first few days.

Being the only petrol vehicle in the convoy has its downsides. On the Canning a couple of years ago we drove on petrol while companions burned diesel. Not only were there concerns over fuel quantities, but the lower revving diesel set a slightly slower pace than our petrol Troopy could handle without dropping down a gear. We hadn't allowed for the fuel required to travel the CSR in second gear!

You may already be aware - I've heard that the Capricorn Roadhouse's fuel dump has ceased. It used to be far cheaper than fuel at Kunawaritji. As the only petrol vehicle in the convoy you don't have many options but to carry lots yourself.

In summary, provided there are no dramas (and the country dries out a bit!)I think it's do-able in your time frame, but if I was doing it I'd think in terms of 2 months, not one.

HTH

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 448748

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 19:19

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 19:19
I'm with the others way too much in the month timeframe, I'd also question the decision to do such trips as a first off with little or no experience of extended trips, sure we all had to learn but it would be much better to gain experience on less isolated areas for shorter periods.
The AB is a trip in itself, pushing hard results in vehicle damage. A week should be allowed to do it comfortably and see the sites along the way and enjoy early camps, we have spent a full day in the middle sometimes.
For the CSR you really need to allow 3 weeks which gives plenty of time to stop and enjoy the country, camp early and do all the walks in a leisurely fashion.
AnswerID: 448760

Reply By: docsr&r - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 19:36

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 19:36
Thanks to all, very much appreciate the input and welcome the advice, particularly from seasoned tavellers and consider you are all correct, however if we achieve nothing else, it will whet the appetite to travel the tracks at a later date, taking the appropriate time to absorb the sights and enjoy the outback with people we meet on the way.

PS. yeah shows my inexperience by having petrol (but the cook doesn't get oily hands when she is refuelling) Ha Ha

Happy travels

Doc
AnswerID: 448762

Follow Up By: Titans - Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 17:52

Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 17:52
From a woman who drives a F250 Diesel let your Cook know she should carry a box of disposabl rubber gloves in the car and if necessary a packet of hand wipes. Diesels are so much better !!

Cheers Lola
FollowupID: 721465

Follow Up By: Titans - Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 17:55

Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 17:55
From a woman who drives a F250 Diesel let your Cook know she should carry a box of disposable rubber gloves in the car and if necessary a packet of hand wipes. Diesels are so much better !!

Cheers Lola
FollowupID: 721466

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 20:37

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 20:37
Hi docsr&r

Sounds reasonable if you don't mind driving long km's.

(By the way - if you search this site you may find that some use petrol for its advantages , but thats another story )

We took 28 days for a melbourne to melbourne trip up CSR last year , but thats because I had to drop into perth and visit the rellies for a few days., and also spend some days at the Explorz gathering that was held in Wiluna as well.

The actual CSR took 10 days , but it was wet towards the top end.

My Petrol patrol averaged 18.3 lt/100km compared to a V8 troopie with us which used 14.1 so really not much in it.

We have much detailed info - so yell if you need anything.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 448770

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 23:10

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 23:10
If it doesn't much matter to youroverall planning, I'd recommend re-jigging the trip so that you go the Tanami at the front end and tackle the CSR from north to south.

The dunes are badly scalloped and rough on the south slopes but smooth on the north, on account of by far the most people taking the south to north option, and the ignorant few not letting their tyres down to at least 25psi rear and 20 psi front.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 448786

Sponsored Links