Emergenct equipment

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 17:19
ThreadID: 85118 Views:1698 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Would appreciate details of what type of Radios I would need for traving off road through out OZ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 17:45

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 17:45
sat phone first and foremost, hire or buy, uhf and Telstra phone and that is it, simple eh ......
Oh, and learn how to use the sat phone and dont forget the pin as i did .....
Cheers
AnswerID: 448751

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 18:53

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 18:53
I guess the answer is simple if you don't understand the question properly and think about your needs rather than he person asking the question. Yeah?

FollowupID: 721010

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 01:24

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 01:24
Oh oh - but easy to do when it is used only rarely and when under pressure in an emergency. Ensure that all in you family know how to use the phone and know the PIN - you may be the one your family is calling for help about.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 721043

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 18:15

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 18:15
J and A,

Depends where you mean by "off road". You won't do much travelling where there is no existing track, so assuming you mean remote areas (with tracks!) :

It is convenient to be able to talk to other travellers in your vicinity. That calls for a UHF radio. Note that there is a major change coming shortly in UHF and that after the change, many current radios will be phased out.

For longer range communication away from the mobile phone network, the choice is HF radio or satellite phone. There is lots of discussion, and quite a few wars fought here about these. Different satellite service providers have differing reputations, some worse than others, and none are 100% reliable. Hf radio isn't always reliable either, but has the advantage that you can talk to other radios, often including people close enough to assist you in an emergency. The RFDS may also be contacted using hf. In remote areas you cannot generally reach local help with a sat phone.

For last resort emergency use a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon, once referred to as an EPIRB) is a good thing to have, especially one with a built-in GPS. These will report your position to within a few metres to the search and rescue people. They are for use in life threatening emergencies, not for calling the NRMA etc as some think.

So the straight answer to your question about emergency communication is - If you aren't leaving the mobile network a mobile phone is fine. If you are going into remote areas, consider either hf radio or a sat phone. UHF would also be a nice-to-have. As a last resort a GPS PLB costing $350-400 will bring the cavalry.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 448756

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 18:55

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 18:55
Egg Zackery. Couldn't agree more.
FollowupID: 721011

Reply By: Bazooka - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 19:32

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 19:32
J&A

For communications on the road with other users many people have UHF radios. You can buy either hand held or in-car units (better range and quality generally speaking). Highly desirable, but limited distance capabilities.

Telstra-simmed mobile phone (preferably a blue tick phone). Very important.

As has already been said, for emergencies outside mobile phone range it would be advisable to buy/hire a satellite phone (Iridiums are excellent) or get your hands on a PLB, or a SPOT communicator. Many posts on here about using a post-paid Telstra SIM with global roaming activated in your Sat phone - the cheapest option for casual/emergency use. One of these is critical IMO.

If you buy a PLB/sat phone you would get a large slice of your money back when you sell it. PLB is 100% reliable and the Iridium sat network is 99.9% (or better) reliable in my experience - assuming the device's battery is good of course. Neither is complex to use.
AnswerID: 448761

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 20:08

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 20:08
You didn't say what you have researched already - have you had a look here for example ?
Exploroz - Comms Pages
AnswerID: 448766

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 20:28

Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 at 20:28
Hello John

A few key facts

Others have already covered the low cost short range car to car UHF.

You need a H.F. Radio , the current new models are shown on this page

http://www.lakecomm.com.au/hf.html

Ball park cost figure $3000 new with fixed antenna.

You need to subscribe to a service provider e.g. Vks737 ball park $100 /yr

There are essentially two brands of product as per link - Codan and Barrett
mostly the radios come as a two piece unit (pain in neck)

Barret is more like a radio and I prefer them - Codan more phone like.

Essentially the Radio sits on one channel most of the time e.g. 8022mhz

You can buy some far cheaper second hand models.

E.G. I use a Barrett model 950 which can come as a single piece unit and puts out more power at 125w , these can be found sub $1000 , if not in a hurry.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 448769

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011 at 13:38

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011 at 13:38
"There are essentially two brands of product as per link - Codan and Barrett
mostly the radios come as a two piece unit (pain in neck)"

And Icom.
FollowupID: 721222

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011 at 14:01

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011 at 14:01
Now Olcoolone

Barret Codan then Icom is like

Nissan Toyota.......................................................................LandRover
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 721225

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 01:21

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 01:21
Hi John and Anne

Basically, a UHF in the vehicle (hand held will do but built in is clearer signal and better range).

Next G for internet (and maybe Next G mobile phone if internet is insufficient for your needs).

Satellite phone for emergencies when out of Next G range (which is most of Australia).

I have other options outlined briefly at Communications on the road

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 448794

Sponsored Links