HJ60 Gear Box Rock Guard

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 22:43
ThreadID: 8515 Views:1436 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I have an issue with the rock guard I purchased from the a wreckers yard. When I tried to fit it though there is a component at the right side front of the gear box which the front right side of the guard does not have a hole to accomadate. The bottom section of the component, which is in the way. is about 3-4cm long and cylindrical in shape.
My question. Do I have the wrong rock guard for my model. HJ60 '85 5 speed G series. Or is the component an add on and therefore the rock guard needs modifying to accomadate it.

Have I given eneough detail to id the component that is in the way?

Owen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mcgra - Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 23:43

Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 at 23:43
hi owen

not sure what part yr talking about, looked under mine and cannot see it also looked in the good book, sorry i drew a blank

could it be a different gearbox to mine also is the cover for the same model.

gra
AnswerID: 37253

Follow Up By: ogray - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 08:12

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 08:12
Hi Gra,

The holes line with the chassis rails on the guard so I am sure that the rock guard is at least the right one for the HJ60. My workshop manual has nothing on the "bit" either. As you can see there has been little response so I am guessing that I may have an addon component. I will take the car to the wtreckers this morning and get them to have a look at it and exchange the rock guard if I can.

Owen
FollowupID: 26997

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 08:59

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 08:59
Owen can I ask a silly question how come you had to replace a rock guard.
All the best
Eric

4x4 tag along adventures to the cape

www.capeyorkconnections.com.auCape York Connections
AnswerID: 37274

Follow Up By: Tony - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 10:04

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 10:04
Me to Eric, that was the first thing to get put in the shed on both 60 and 47 Troopie, with lifted springs and careful driving I only hit the transfer case once and that was just a scrape.

I reckon that the gearbox ran cooler, and no chance of grass and leaves getting caught up around the exhaust which I had run up above the rails. And no weeds to bring onto the farm.

In fact before I took it off the Troopie it had a wack and was hard up against the drain plug area.
FollowupID: 27000

Follow Up By: ogray - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 13:43

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 13:43
Hi Eric,

I purchased the vehicle just two months ago and the rock guard had already been removed.

Since my last post I have been able to determine that the component which has caused the issue is the vacuum swicth for the 4h dash select.

I get the impression that some owners take the rock guard off. After reading Tony's story above I could not think of a better reason to keep it on.

What is your thoughts on this?

Owen
FollowupID: 27027

Sponsored Links