requirements for carring a firearm in western australia and nt

Submitted: Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 21:35
ThreadID: 85154 Views:3635 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
hi guys can anyone point me in the right direction for the laws about carrage of firearms in the wa and nt cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mudripper - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 22:11

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 22:11

Have you asked at your local Firearms Services branch/Police Station? That would be the best place to go, not on a forum like this as you'll inevitably get some unwanted replies.

Good luck,


AnswerID: 448901

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 22:50

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 22:50
have to agree, contact WA Police Firearms branch or look at the website.
Local Police Stations are useless, all young coppers who have had no exposure to firearms other than their basic training and dont want to know about it.

Firearms Branch I have found on several occasions to be very helpful to the extent of giving the local station a serve for being obstructive.

Go straight to their website

instead of secondhand info
FollowupID: 721174

Reply By: hotfishez - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 22:33

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 22:33
In WA you need to carry a copy of your licence as well as the paper copy containing all details of the specific rifle you have with you. Unsure on NT
AnswerID: 448904

Reply By: Member - Damien Jilley- Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 23:30

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 23:30
thanks guys but there does not seem to be any information on the storage while in transit on the website mabee im not looking in the right spot who knows.
AnswerID: 448912

Follow Up By: The Rambler - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011 at 00:16

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011 at 00:16
if you ask six different authorities you will probably get six different answers.After years of travelling with a firearm I have basically found out that the firearm must be out of site in the vehicle,bolt removed, ammunition stored seperately,firearm must be licensed and as a plus it is handy to have a letter or letters from any property owners where you might be shooting whether interstate or local.Sometimes the more you ask the harder it gets!
FollowupID: 721187

Follow Up By: hotfishez - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:05

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:05
lockable hard case preferred fixed to vehicle if possible. no regulatios I can find so far, ultimatley just common sense
FollowupID: 721208

Follow Up By: the redbacks - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011 at 20:20

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011 at 20:20
hi Damien,
try WA's weapons branch, they are probably the best to ask, when we travelled from Qld through NSW we phoned our weapons branch in Brisbane, they said ''quote'' providing they are registered, you[me] are licensed, the [in this case] shotguns are hidden from public view, shells are separate from firearm then no problem.
you only need letter of authority from a property owner IF you intend to shoot on his property.
If you are [& you more than likely are][I hope] an ACTA or SSAA member or a member of a local gun/pistol club ask them, I have heard that WA is the hardest state to deal with.
Good luck

FollowupID: 721258

Follow Up By: Begaboy - Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 06:35

Friday, Mar 25, 2011 at 06:35
As hotfishes said - gun must be fitted to the car ( by small chain or so forth ) bolt and ammo must also travel in a separate lock up box not near where the gun is kept in the car ( ie lock up glove box )

dont quote me on this , but this does ring a bell ...

FollowupID: 721510

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)