Site Suggestion - Latest Responses

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 19:41
ThreadID: 85188 Views:1431 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Is there anyway that new responses can be highlighted? The index has the latest response time and number of replies and follow ups but when it is a long thread you have to read through every post to find the latest response. At least the previous version had separate times for both replies and follow-ups.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John B2 (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 20:00

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 20:00
Great suggestion

I find this a frustrating feature compared to other forums, the latest response here you have to look at every post to find it!

Cheers,
John
AnswerID: 449078

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 20:24

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 20:24
Hi Guys. Look I might be missing something here but are you displaying your threads by Thread id (in order of submission) or Response time (Latest repsonse to a thread)? The option is under Display Options on the top left of the forum page under all the forum tabs.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 449082

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 20:41

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 20:41
Mick,

I think they mean highlighting the latest response within a specific Thread.

At the moment there isn't any easy way to find it.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 721383

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 20:45

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 20:45
Ahh gotcha GB. It's only the long ones that tend to be a PIA in that regard. I wonder if you could include a link in the post heading to open the thread and take you to the latest response in much the same way the follow-up email notifications occur. Of course if it's a very active thread you're still going to have to scroll anyway.

Food for thought.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 721384

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 20:59

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 20:59
You beat me to it Gone Bush. I was about to reply but the site went down again. Take the Site Problem thread, there was a response at 1900 but didn't know if it was new post or follow-up. I had to scroll to the very end to find it. It is worse if there are a number of follow-up blocks. It is easy to miss them.
FollowupID: 721385

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 21:00

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 21:00
Rod,
Good suggestion - When I removed the dates from the index page I was going to implement a highlight withing the thread but completly forgot it. How do you want this to work? Just highlight somehow the latest reply and latest followup or something else? I do not know what you last read on a thread by thread basis so cannot get to that level but I know when you last logged on however you may have not read the thread so this is a bit difficult however the most recent reply and followup is easy enough. If you have other ideas guys and gals lets hear it?
David

PS: Sorry about that system error - I made a big mistake to cause that one. I was in a rush and pushed the wrong button. I do not seem to be able to win at all at the moment.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 449084

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 21:45

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 21:45
David,

I peruse several Forums, one of which is here:

Caravaners Forum

You can see the View: options across the top.

Maybe some sort of variation on those?

cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 721398

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 22:06

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2011 at 22:06
I am also a member of the Caravaners Forum. The 'View New Posts' is the same as the EO 'Response Time' option. I remain logged on all the time. When I click on the icon next to a thread the CF 'remembers' the last post I viewed and opens the next one. The drawback with the CF system is that it can be harder to see which post another post is referring to, in this regard the EO follow-up system is better. In an ideal world a combination of both would be the best. But how it could be done is beyond me.
FollowupID: 721400

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 00:57

Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 00:57
This doesn't really help Rod's question/suggestion, but another good feature on the Caravaners Forum is a search box to search each individual thread, so if it is very long, you can find the part you are looking for quickly by searching for key words.

When we get an email notification of a reply, clicking to open in EO takes us to the start of the thread, and a similar long search for the reply we have received. Didn't it open the thread at the reply notified before all the changes? Or am i dreaming?

Yes Rod, a combination of the good points of both forums would be ideal. They both work on very different systems. The trouble is, the more forums we visit, the more 'good ideas' we see.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 721411

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:00

Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:00
Hi David,

It would be great if every reply or followup within a post, newer than the last logon, was highlighted - basically the same way "forum updates" works. This way every change within the updated post is included.

Also, while looking at improvements, how about if there is a 6 digit number it is automatically linked to that thread ID? There are oftem many threads where someone quotes a thread ID but you have to copy the number, open a new tab to ExplorOz, go to the forum and then paste the ID in the field - much simpler to click on a hyperlink, same as hyperlinked keywords :)

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 721438

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:33

Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:33
Thanks all got it will add some of these and see what it looks like - I like the auto replace of a numeric string to the thread id. I will see about that one as old threads started at say 2 so it would not be easy to sort this out if it is a thread link or just typing a number - but I will test it looking for 3-6 digit numbers and test of the thread exists then auto link.

I think I will have a look at latest update highlight via the last login time of your browser - if this does not work we can change it but it is going to be the easiest for me to implement and test. We can gauge the worth of this update once it is loaded and we have had a chance to see how it performs.

I must however today go back to the tedious task of reading every line of code to try to find where the intermittent site pause problem is coming from.
David

PS: If I get bored looking at code (and I do quickly) I will start installing some of these updates plus finish the blog look and feel I started yesterday, plus blogs and site search - it never ends...........................
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 721441

Reply By: S Paul - VIC - Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:12

Thursday, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:12
Perhaps the layout could be changed - to show the original post at the top of page then the responses below in the reverse order - ie latest post would be next rather than at the end ??

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 449111

Sponsored Links